You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-29 15:05:55

Colonel Panic

[SOLVED - cleaning out my machine] Intermittent "hardware" errors

Hi everyone. I'm getting errors similar to this one showing up in my terminal, along with a bleep each time;

[24302.080277] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[24302.080282] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[24302.080286] [Hardware Error]: CPU:4 (15:2:0) MC2_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|-|CECC]: 0x98484000010c0176
[24302.080288] [Hardware Error]: MC2 Error: VB Data ECC or parity error.
[24302.080290] [Hardware Error]: cache level: L2, tx: DATA, mem-tx: EV

The odd thing is that when I switch to either Slackware or PsychOS (a distro which is based on Devuan) it doesn't seem to happen, so I'm wondering if it might be a systemd problem? At the moment it seems to have gone quiet in Debian (10.1) too, though it was very persistent a couple of days ago.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what might be happening please?

Thanks in advance,

CP .

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-01-29 16:12:57)

#2 2020-01-29 15:14:30

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED - cleaning out my machine] Intermittent "hardware" errors

Did you google for "[Hardware Error]: MC2 Error: VB Data ECC or parity error"?

The first hit gives the same error message as yours, and an answer:

LinuxQuestions.org - [SOLVED] Hardware error?

It is most likely a CPU fan dust bunny. That's the signal from the kernel to clean those out.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-01-29 15:14:46

clusterF

why do you think it would be a systemd problem?

Is your computer in need of a clean?, maybe you have a few dust bunnies that need cleaning out.

@ damo, same link i looked at hence the dust bunny solution perhaps?

edit: Ive found if i give my laptop a good clean out, get the fans clear of dust and build up, i get a lot better performance.

Last edited by clusterF (2020-01-29 15:18:30)

#4 2020-01-29 16:12:12

Colonel Panic

Hi. Thanks for the replies; I suppose it wouldn't hurt to clean out the machine anyway. The reason I thought it might be a systemd problem was that it stopped happening as soon as I booted up Slackware, which doesn't have systemd, and nor does PsychOS (which is based on Devuan). If it was a dust bunny, wouldn't it be continuing to happen even when I was in Slackware and PsychOS?

Tell you what; to save everyone else's time I'll mark this thread Solved, clean out my machine, and then reopen it (the thread) if I'm still getting the messages.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-01-31 00:41:52)

#5 2020-01-29 17:27:20

Colonel Panic

I am open to criticism for not being clear from the beginning that I had seen a thread which recommended cleaning my computer, but bearing in mind that the problem disappeared when I wasn't using a distro that included systemd I was optimistic about there being a solution that didn't involve cleaning it (my computer) out. 

There is a saying in English that "your sins will find you out!"

Now I'll go back and keep looking for the screwdriver which will open my computer case. I know it's here somewhere amidst all the clutter ..

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-01-29 17:55:31)

#6 2020-02-09 15:47:22

Colonel Panic

A further update; I've spoken to the guy who built my computer (which is about two weeks' old, even though it was built from old parts), and he was adamant that the CPU and sink were clean when he built it and I have no reason to doubt his word.

Thanks for everyone's interest but I think this is a job for a call-out computer professional who can actually inspect the machine, and preferably one familiar with Linux (and yes, the problem still goes away when I'm in a systemd-free distro like Slackware, as I am now, for some reason).

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-02-09 15:49:03)

#7 2020-02-09 18:40:44

rbh

Colonel Panic wrote:

I've spoken to the guy who built my computer (which is about two weeks' old, even though it was built from old parts), and he was adamant that the CPU and sink were clean when he built it and I have no reason to doubt his word.

It sounds as a desktop pc. It is then easy to open and inspect. It could also be the cpu-fan. If your pc is build of old parts, the fan could have done its part...

Thanks for everyone's interest but I think this is a job for a call-out computer professional who can actually inspect the machine, and preferably one familiar with Linux (and yes, the problem still goes away when I'm in a systemd-free distro like Slackware, as I am now, for some reason).

If you have some time to set aside, it is good if you yourself gets to know your hardware.
You have a conky, that measure cpu-fan and temperature?

Shutdown your pc.
Open your pc, locate your cpu fan.
Look at it and the heatsink, that it is clean.
A hard blow should not create dustcloud.
If so, you can dismantle the fan. Vacumclean it and the heatsink.
Use a plastic tube on the top of the aluminium vacuum cleaner tube.

Feel on the cpu fan, that the berings aint worn down.
Spin up the blade. It shold continue to spin for a while. If it imiedeatley goes to a halt, the fan motor is worn out.

Asemble the fan.
Power up the pc.
Whatch that the cpu-fan spins.
Check that your conky shows that cpu fan spins upp.
When pc is idle, the fan should go quiet.

Set heawey load on the pc. (stress-ng, is one good tool).

Now the cpu-fan sholuld spin up. Your conky shold reflect that. Check taht cpu-temp does not rise to high.

A PC should be opende and vacumclened at lest once a year.

// Regards rbh

#8 2020-02-10 20:33:15

Colonel Panic

rbh wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I've spoken to the guy who built my computer (which is about two weeks' old, even though it was built from old parts), and he was adamant that the CPU and sink were clean when he built it and I have no reason to doubt his word.

It sounds as a desktop pc. It is then easy to open and inspect. It could also be the cpu-fan. If your pc is build of old parts, the fan could have done its part...

If you have some time to set aside, it is good if you yourself gets to know your hardware.
You have a conky, that measure cpu-fan and temperature?

Shutdown your pc.
Open your pc, locate your cpu fan.
Look at it and the heatsink, that it is clean.
A hard blow should not create dustcloud.
If so, you can dismantle the fan. Vacumclean it and the heatsink.
Use a plastic tube on the top of the aluminium vacuum cleaner tube.

Feel on the cpu fan, that the berings aint worn down.
Spin up the blade. It shold continue to spin for a while. If it imiedeatley goes to a halt, the fan motor is worn out.

Asemble the fan.
Power up the pc.
Whatch that the cpu-fan spins.
Check that your conky shows that cpu fan spins upp.
When pc is idle, the fan should go quiet.

Set heawey load on the pc. (stress-ng, is one good tool).

Now the cpu-fan sholuld spin up. Your conky shold reflect that. Check taht cpu-temp does not rise to high.

A PC should be opende and vacumclened at lest once a year.

Thanks for the advice. Just one thing though; aren't you told to never put the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner anywhere near a CPU or a motherboard because of the risk of static electricity building up on the nozzle damaging the components?

#9 2020-02-11 16:16:13

tynman

aren't you told to never put the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner anywhere near a CPU or a motherboard because of the risk of static electricity building up on the nozzle damaging the components

I was told that by desktop support nerds back in the 80s smile. I don't know if it is a valid concern, but for all these years, I have faithfully avoided touching any part of my computers with a vacuum nozzle.

#10 2020-02-11 16:33:18

damo
....moderator....

I watched a demo on one of those geeky youtube channels demonstrating that much of the "NO STATIC" hype was just hype. They did everything wrong with handling components...and nothing bad happened. YMMV of course!

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#11 2020-02-11 20:11:37

rbh

Colonel Panic wrote:

Just one thing though; aren't you told to never put the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner anywhere near a CPU or a motherboard because of the risk of static electricity building up on the nozzle damaging the components?

I worked 15 years for the countys IT-office, have vacumcleand hundreds of pc's.

It is good to avoid putting the metal pipe from the cleaner directly on any part.

Use a thin plastic tube, comes often with the vacumcleaner, to suck between the radiator flanges.
Hold the tube some cm over any parts.
Use a soft brush, to losse dust.

Cleaning the pc regularly from dust, saves you a good del of problems.

With that said, it is not sure that is the answer to your hadware problems, but it is a good first step.

// Regards rbh

#12 2020-02-16 18:47:23

Colonel Panic

Rbh, damo and tynman, thanks for your replies. I've had a cold recently so have got a bit behind with things but will be taking your advice seriously.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-02-16 18:47:36)

#13 2020-09-02 20:19:39

Colonel Panic

A quick update; I've just installed the final version of Lithium and touch wood, so far no 'beeps' or errors spewed out all over the terminal. Long may it continue.

Board footer