You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-23 11:58:49

MZ250Supa5

Really sludgy performance with BunsenLabs Linux

Due to dust bunnies temporarily disabling my daily driver I decided to play around with a box that I literally found at the side of the road. The spec is as follows:

FUJITSU SIEMENS

ESPRIMO EDITION P2530

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz

RAM = 3.81 GB (DDR2)

Not a fantastic spec, but it should be adequate to run the lighter Linux distros with no issues, but on BunsenLabs Linux 64bit it runs very sluggishly indeed, even making allowances for the ageing hardware and my general impatience with computers.

I'm suspecting that software bloat is behind a lot of the performance hit - 10 or 15 seconds to open a web browser just seems a tad excessive to me.

At idle it's consuming around 420 MB of RAM, but even under load it rarely exceeds 900 MB so there is plenty of overhead left if it's needed, so I just don't understand why the system in general is so slow.

It seems that even the supposedly 'lighweight' distros these days are obese by comparison with a decade ago when a complete distro iso weighed in at around 700 MB so that it could be burned to a CD  -  nowadays it seems to be a bloated 2.5 GB for no apparent improvement in performance, even on today's much better specced hardware.

Maybe I just need to configure things a bit, so any help or advice would be most welcome.

Last edited by MZ250Supa5 (2020-08-23 12:02:41)

#2 2020-08-23 12:17:20

eight.bit.al

Re: Really sludgy performance with BunsenLabs Linux

With nothing else to go on, I would look at the speed of the hard drive. An SSD would speed load times significantly.

8bit

Fly, for a white guy.

#3 2020-08-23 14:14:49

rbh

MZ250Supa5 wrote:

on BunsenLabs Linux 64bit it runs very sluggishly indeed, even making allowances for the ageing hardware and my general impatience with computers.

I'm suspecting that software bloat is behind a lot of the performance hit - 10 or 15 seconds to open a web browser just seems a tad excessive to me.

No, 10 second to open browser on an 10 year old computer you have found, is not excessive, and BunsenLabs is not bloated.

If you don't want to invest money on new ssd, you have to invest time.
Have du done a health scheck? Have you run memtest, smartctl, checked for badblocks and so on. You do not mention anything about it.

At idle it's consuming around 420 MB of RAM, but even under load it rarely exceeds 900 MB so there is plenty of overhead left if it's needed, so I just don't understand why the system in general is so slow.

So, how is it with the cpu-burden? Do you need all services started with a standard installation? On lowspec pc, I start cups when I need to use the printer, apache2 if I need webservices and always inactivate avahi and so on.
It is possible to strip out services on bunsenLabs, så only about 200 MB RAM is used when started and idle.

It seems that even the supposedly 'lighweight' distros these days are obese by comparison with a decade ago when a complete distro iso weighed in at around 700 MB so that it could be burned to a CD  -  nowadays it seems to be a bloated 2.5 GB for no apparent improvement in performance, even on today's much better specced hardware.

But, BL 32 bit iso with live environment and debian installer, fits on an CD...

Maybe I just need to configure things a bit, so any help or advice would be most welcome.

It might also bee that you have installed something not standrard that draws al lot of cpu...
But, take a look at your processses.

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-23 14:37:46)

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-08-24 11:15:54

truscellino

That is a laptop from 2011-2012. CPU would be OK-ish for everyday tasks but hard drive can make a big difference. If it's still the original one, 2.5" mechanical can be really slow.
Modern web browsers are huge pieces of software; 10s to load wouldn't surprise me.
Did you compare with any other OS? Try windows :-p
Or other linux distros:
Puppy
Antix
But I wouldn't expect major differences...

#5 2020-08-24 11:19:39

truscellino

As rbh says, take a look at CPU usage and see if a particular process is taking 100%... if you are playing videos in a web browser then you can expect troubles. Lack of video hardware acceleration in web browsers is an issue with linux compared to other OSes.

Board footer