You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-08 01:50:53

dbickin

[Solved] washed out color in lithium

I have tried Lithium on tow computers. On both of them, the colors seem very washed out. When I install midnight commander, the default dark blue background color comes out a very light blue, which makes the white or other light colored foreground text unreadable. I don't recall having had this trouble with either Hydrogen or Helium.

What is the best way for me to try to fix the colors?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dbickin (2020-08-08 18:42:42)

#2 2020-08-08 07:30:02

rbh

Re: [Solved] washed out color in lithium

dbickin wrote:

I have tried Lithium on tow computers. On both of them, the colors seem very washed out.

If yo don't like the lithium theme, you can change to something with more distinct colours. Clearlook, is one of my old favorites before finding Bunsenlabs.

When I install midnight commander, the default dark blue background color comes out a very light blue, which makes the white or other light colored foreground text unreadable.

yes, when using default Lithium colours in terminal, you must change theme in mc.

Open mc meny "Options", go to "Appearance". I think modarin256-defbg, plays well with Lithium theme.
do not forget to change terminal colours and mc-theme for root terminal. It saves you a lot of trouble to with a quick glance se that you have root rithgts...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2020-08-08 08:25:16

ohnonot
...again

I think the now default lxterminal should allow to change color themes?

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#4 2020-08-08 08:48:04

rbh

ohnonot wrote:

I think the now default lxterminal should allow to change color themes?

As does most other terminals to. Lxterminal has an gui to configure appearance.
But, default colors in mc, might be changed dependent of the terminals colours.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#5 2020-08-08 16:00:06

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

rbh wrote:

Open mc meny "Options", go to "Appearance". I think modarin256-defbg, plays well with Lithium theme.

@dbickin - if you don't like any of the predefined themes for mc, you can create your own. You should have the file:

~/.config/mc/ini

There should be a [Colors] section that allows for user defined colors that will override the default mc theme. I believe the man page has details for user defined colors.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#6 2020-08-08 16:14:17

dbickin

rbh wrote:

If you don't like the lithium theme, you can change to something with more distinct colours. Clearlook, is one of my old favorites before finding Bunsenlabs.

yes, when using default Lithium colours in terminal, you must change theme in mc.

I see that my copy of Helium is using the Beam theme. I tried that. I tried Clearlook. In both of them dark blue is still a washed out light blue. The only difference the them made was the color of the window decorations, not the contents of the window.

I used Preferences->OpenBox->WM Preferences. Should I have changed something else?

For now, I have changed the skin that mc uses. I used one with a black background, but of course that black background is a washed out grey color under lithium. But at least it is dark enough that I can read the light colored foreground text colors the skin selected. Of course mc doesn't look like mc without its dark blue background.

David

#7 2020-08-08 17:26:04

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

What terminal emulator were you using in Helium when you didn't have this issue? Try going back to that terminal.

-- yoda

#8 2020-08-08 18:19:14

rbh

dbickin wrote:

I see that my copy of Helium is using the Beam theme.

It is quite light grey theme... Default for Lithium is BL-Lithium. Quite dark Bluegrey-green theme.

I tried that. I tried Clearlook. In both of them dark blue is still a washed out light blue. The only difference the them made was the color of the window decorations, not the contents of the window.

Do you mean terminal window? Each terminal has its own coloring... Default terminal in Lithium 64, is Lxterminal. Just as Terminator it has a gui tool to configure appeareance.

I used Preferences->OpenBox->WM Preferences. Should I have changed something else?

Menu -> Preferences -> Openbox -> WM Preferences, starts "obconf"
Menu -> Preferences -> Appereance, starts "lxappereance"
You should run lxappereance also. Some themes. Choose same theme in both config tools.

For now, I have changed the skin that mc uses. I used one with a black background, but of course that black background is a washed out grey color under lithium.

Default background in BL terminals is about 20% transparent. I do not like it. My old tired eyes has mych harder work then. I set solid background, then if using black, it is more black.

It sounds as you have upgraded from helium and have old home with old settings. You could investigate the new appearance settings with default values.

In terminal, run

$ bl-user-setup --reset --yes

But at least it is dark enough that I can read the light colored foreground text colors the skin selected. Of course mc doesn't look like mc without its dark blue background.

You can use light yellow or white background in terminal. Then the default darkblue theme is quite good.

// Regards rbh

#9 2020-08-08 18:42:17

dbickin

PackRat wrote:

What terminal emulator were you using in Helium when you didn't have this issue? Try going back to that terminal.

That did it. In Helium I was using xfce4-terminal, but it was using lxterminal in Lithium. I installed xfce4-terminal, and I got my nice sharp blacks and dark blues back!

Running mc under the default terminator in Helium gave me washed out colors. (Though not as washed out as lxterminal under Lithium.)

I suspect as rbh said, the problem is the transparency setting.

rbh wrote:

You should run lxappereance also. Some themes. Choose same theme in both config tools.

I tried lxappearance, but I didn't see a way to affect colors. The color tab said that you had to be running lxsession to alter colors. I see the config file has a bunch of RGB color settings for each color. Probably easier for me to just use xfce4-terminal since it is "correct" out of the box.

Thanks,
David

#10 2020-08-08 18:48:13

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

dbickin wrote:

That did it. In Helium I was using xfce4-terminal, but it was using lxterminal in Lithium. I installed xfce4-terminal, and I got my nice sharp blacks and dark blues back!

I think you can now set xfce4-terminal as the default BL terminal if you want; isn't BL Alternatives - or something similar - on the BL Menu?

-- yoda

#11 2020-08-09 03:14:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Terminal transparency: in Lithium it's been wound down a bit, and is now set to 5% by default for lxterminal, urxvt and terminator.

lxterminal does not allow allows setting of transparency via the GUI, but in ~/.config/lxterminal/lxterminal.conf you can define the background colour with an alpha channel (rgba not hex) thus:

bgcolor=rgba(34,55,63,0.95)

urxvt, in ~/.Xresources (hex):

URxvt.background: [95]#22373F

Last edited by johnraff (2020-08-10 04:09:42)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#12 2020-08-09 03:16:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

PackRat wrote:

I think you can now set xfce4-terminal as the default BL terminal if you want; isn't BL Alternatives - or something similar - on the BL Menu?

It's the Debian alternative x-terminal-emulator.
Menu > System > Edit Debian Alternatives

#13 2020-08-09 08:11:23

rbh

rbh wrote:

dbickin wrote:

I tried lxappearance, but I didn't see a way to affect colors. The color tab said that you had to be running lxsession to alter colors.

Obconf and Lxappereance can be used to change themes, fonts and so on.
When you change themes, you change colour sets.
Editing an theme: changing colours of specific windows details, is an science in itself.
Hhh wrote an howto: BunsenLabs Theming 101

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-09 08:16:25)

// Regards rbh

#14 2020-08-09 09:39:17

yunn
Website

johnraff wrote:

lxterminal does not allow setting of transparency via the GUI, but in ~/.config/lxterminal/lxterminal.conf you can define the background colour with an alpha channel (rgba not hex) thus:

Hi @johnraff, allow me a little correction. lxterminal allows to put transparency via GUI. I think

transl.png

Regards,

#15 2020-08-10 03:24:03

dbickin

yunn wrote:
johnraff wrote:

lxterminal does not allow setting of transparency via the GUI, but in ~/.config/lxterminal/lxterminal.conf you can define the background colour with an alpha channel (rgba not hex) thus:

Hi @johnraff, allow me a little correction. lxterminal allows to put transparency via GUI. I think

http://entornosgnulinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/transl.png

Regards,

I'm curious. How did you pull up that color selection screen?

It looks like your copy of lxterminal has a menu at the top. I did find an option in the config file that suppresses the menu, but I made hidemenubar=false, and the menu still isn't coming up.

Then again, from the screen capture, it looks like it is called "LXTerminal" instead of "lxterminal", so is this a different terminal?

David

#16 2020-08-10 04:08:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^Thanks yunn, you're right! I didn't notice that you have to click the + button when choosing the bg colour, to see that colour window.

Last edited by johnraff (2020-08-10 04:20:01)

#17 2020-08-10 04:18:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@dbickin, even with the menu bar hidden, right-click to see options, then "Preferences".
Click the background colour to change it, then in the "Pick a colour" window, click the big + to add a new custom colour. (That's the part I missed.)

As for the config file setting, lxterminal (yes same as LXTerminal) might need killing ('killall lxterminal') and restarting for it to take effect.

#18 2020-08-10 04:46:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

For the record, in my opinion the GTK3 color chooser in lxterminal and other GTK3 apps SUCKS! IT SUCKS BADLY! IT'S AWFUL AND HIDEOUS AND USELESS!

gpicview still has the old gtk2 color chooser, with an eyedropper and everything. Preferences>Background Colors. GIMP also works.

I haven't tried @Unia's GTK3 color chooser in a while, it looks like it's a dead project...

https://github.com/Hjdskes/gcolor3

@Unia, is this your app?

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gcolor3

https://packages.debian.org/sid/gcolor3

#19 2020-08-10 05:05:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

Installs to buster with no errors. Looks like a keeper.

Screenshot-from-2020-08-10-01-05-24.png

#20 2020-08-10 05:06:55

damo
....moderator....

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#21 2020-08-10 05:14:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Nice, I hate that default GTK3 color widget with the passion of the hottest sun imagineable.

#22 2020-08-10 06:09:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Have to agree. It's horrible.

#23 2020-08-10 08:01:38

ohnonot
...again

^ +1.
And I'm surprised gcolor3 uses the familiar wheel/triangle thing, I thought this wasn't possible anymore with GTK3.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#24 2020-08-10 14:34:36

dbickin

johnraff wrote:

@dbickin, even with the menu bar hidden, right-click to see options, then "Preferences".
Click the background colour to change it, then in the "Pick a colour" window, click the big + to add a new custom colour. (That's the part I missed.)

As for the config file setting, lxterminal (yes same as LXTerminal) might need killing ('killall lxterminal') and restarting for it to take effect.

The really really weird thing I have found with Lithium is that if I change a configuration, at first it doesn't appear to do anything. Even after I restart the process I changed, or even after I reboot the computer.

But then, the next day, or the day after that, I'll boot up the computer, and the change has taken place.

Like I said it is weird. And I can't imagine it is the software, but I can't imagine what I am doing to cause that.

But this morning, I boot up and the lxterminal menu is there.

And I am now sure that if I right click, I'll see the option to get to the preferences. And I will swear it was never there before. (The computer with Lithium is at another location, so can't test it right now.)

David

#25 2020-08-14 19:23:09

juancuyo

Good afternoon, MC can be used in Tilda and it looks perfectly without affecting BunsenLabs default terminal.
https://i.imgur.com/t7i6fFp.png
t7i6fFp.png

Board footer