You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-04 08:53:46

Panikuz

[RESOLVED] Upgrade to Lithium

Hi guys, I've been searching the forum before asking, but I can't find something for sure, I want to upgrade from helium to lithium for some reason the usb won't boot to be able to do a clean installation, is there any way to do it in any other way , and I do not want to change anything in the repositories even until I am sure, I have already made a backup of everything important, can someone help me?

Last edited by Panikuz (2020-08-06 09:01:18)

#2 2020-08-04 13:59:10

rbh

Re: [RESOLVED] Upgrade to Lithium

Hi Panikuz.

If you have installed Helium, the machine has booted on usb install media. It ought to be able to boot again.

Havwe you followed the advice how to handle the iso-file, on https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html? Have you checked the integrety of the iso-file? Do you know that the usb-drive is ok?, have you written the iso file to usb-drive with "copy" or "dd"?

Do you have another pc? Can you boot that pc with install media? You could remove the disk from pc you want to upgrade. Attach the disk to other pc. Boot and install.
If yo can not boot on other pc, You can shrink existing partitions. Create new partition. Use grml-debootstrap to install cli-debian. Edit sources.list, add repso for Lithium. Install Bunsen meta all.

If you can not attach disk to other pc, you do not want to change repositorys, you can not boot install iso, then it is impossible to upgrade.

But, I can not see any reason to be afraid of trying to edit repos and upgrade. Have done it many timnes, it has never failed.

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-08-04 15:34:35

Serbian

How to upgrade Bunsen Helium with Debian unstable (sid) repository to Bunsen Lithium (with existing Debian sid repository)?

BTW, BL Helium on sid works perfectly well for two years.

#4 2020-08-04 17:57:54

rbh

Serbian wrote:

How to upgrade Bunsen Helium with Debian unstable (sid) repository to Bunsen Lithium (with existing Debian sid repository)?

Ok, that's not an usual setup. If it is a productive box, you are dependent of, you should maybe backup the system, not only data. I am also runing some sid-boxes. One of them is just now unable to start X, I've not hade time to debug...

First, update and upgrade.
Reboot.

On https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repositories.html you have the list of Bunsen-repos.
If your bunsen-repos is listed in default /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list, just edit and ad the Lithium repo. Disable any other BL repos like backports.

Then, make: update, upgrade and eventualley dist-upgrade. Dist-upgrade can be problematic...

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-04 18:20:06)

// Regards rbh

#5 2020-08-04 20:06:49

Serbian

Thank you RBH. Lithium is nice and work fine on Debian sid. Well, almost. Screen tearing...But I will find a solution.
And I have triple boot: Debian Buster (XFCE), Debian testing (Mate, Plasma) and Bunsen on sid.

Cheers

#6 2020-08-04 20:39:00

Panikuz

thanks for the answer, in effect I have reviewed the usb many times and I have returned to create the bootable, and everything confirms that the problem is that the usb is damaged that was the most likely cause that I could not boot the device, but thanks to Your answer I have updated the repositories to lithium and everything that comes and so far many packages are being updated so I think for the moment everything is going well. I'll see when I finish updating everything, I may need help again when I restart the system and have some kind of error. Thanks friend.

#7 2020-08-04 20:42:03

Panikuz

rbh wrote:

Hi Panikuz.

If you have installed Helium, the machine has booted on usb install media. It ought to be able to boot again.

Havwe you followed the advice how to handle the iso-file, on https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html? Have you checked the integrety of the iso-file? Do you know that the usb-drive is ok?, have you written the iso file to usb-drive with "copy" or "dd"?

Do you have another pc? Can you boot that pc with install media? You could remove the disk from pc you want to upgrade. Attach the disk to other pc. Boot and install.
If yo can not boot on other pc, You can shrink existing partitions. Create new partition. Use grml-debootstrap to install cli-debian. Edit sources.list, add repso for Lithium. Install Bunsen meta all.

If you can not attach disk to other pc, you do not want to change repositorys, you can not boot install iso, then it is impossible to upgrade.

But, I can not see any reason to be afraid of trying to edit repos and upgrade. Have done it many timnes, it has never failed.

I will mark as fixed the problem when I finish updating everything, and make sure I have done it right smile thanks for the help.

#8 2020-08-05 00:19:32

Panikuz

Well friends, I have updated everything, before restarting, I did an lsb_release and it indicates that I am already in Bunselabs lithium, but now the problem is that when I restart the system shows me the black screen with the message of Minimal grub, and to start the system I have used a tutorial that allowed me to load the system, but I am still struggling so that it can boot normally without always having to do that procedure, I have read that it is easier to do it with boot-repair, but I can not if not through ppa and i don't like adding ppas in debian, any suggestion?

#9 2020-08-05 00:36:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

Serbian wrote:

BTW, BL Helium on sid works perfectly well for two years.

So you've tried to upgrade sid jessie to sid buster with BunsenLabs over it and it failed?

I'm biting my tongue here.

Recommendation, back up your important data and do a fresh install of Lithium, then change your Debian sources to sid and...

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt --purge autoremove

Reboot, fix what you can, then...

sudo apt dist-upgrade && sudo apt --purge autoremove

Reboot and cross your fingers.

Follow the siduction forums for breakages in sid...

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?board=22.0

#10 2020-08-06 09:01:39

Panikuz

I mark this post as resolved, after all there was no case, I was able to run it from usb, trying to create said live many times, even on a Livecd, but I always stayed in configuring network, try to install pure debian, xfce, lxqt etc. .. xfce was the only one with which I managed to finish the installation, but when I restarted, it stayed on the black screen, hinting at an error with amd and kernel, I spent many hours looking for solutions but I think that Buster my PC rejects it, in the end I There were 2 options to try. lubuntu or Archlabs, Lubuntu install instantly without problems, thanks for all guys. smile

Board footer