You are not logged in.

#951 2020-07-19 23:39:16

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

damo wrote:

Hey guys, can we stop wasting bandwidth with this bickering?

Yes. Apologies sir.

8bit


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#952 2020-07-20 13:54:38

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Trenton wrote:

No love for Slackware?

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 22#p102822

8bit


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#953 2020-07-20 20:07:08

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Trenton wrote:

No love for Slackware?

Slack is where I cut my Linux teeth on way back in 1994. Still have a set of Slack installer CD's from back then. Good times.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#954 2020-07-20 21:47:57

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,505
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Wait, I didn't post my buster cinnamon desktop yet?

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 50#p103650

Offline

#955 2020-07-23 08:15:34

cloverskull
Member
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 323

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

In an effort to resurrect some vintage Mac gear, I discovered (much to my dismay) that PowerPC macs aren’t really supported by any linux distros these days, unless you want something old and unsupported.

Gentoo is an option but I had issues getting it to work on my g5 recently, but I learned about a community fork of void linux specifically for ppc. I gave it a shot and I have to say, I’m impressed! It’s similar to arch in that you wind up with something barebones and have to figure out how to put together your linux system and desktop.

It’s also surprisingly fast. I dig it. I may try it on bare metal on a modern PC just to see how it performs.

Offline

#956 2020-07-23 15:50:02

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,881
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

^ Have heard good things about Void Linux, but their future is a little unclear? Something about it being mostly a 1-man-show, and that one man having left...


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#957 2020-07-23 18:28:42

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,277

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

ohnonot wrote:

^ Have heard good things about Void Linux, but their future is a little unclear? Something about it being mostly a 1-man-show, and that one man having left...

That's not correct. Juan (the original developer) has left again; most likely for good this time, but they were prepared for it this time. The project continues with about 15 developers, or a user can use xbps-src to create their own package if the application is not in the repos. There are also procedures to submit the package, but nothing like the AUR.

Because of the small development team, some packages get a bit old - gimp comes to mind - so Void is a rolling release but not bleeding edge like Arch.


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Online

#958 2020-07-23 18:30:09

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,277

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

cloverskull wrote:

In an effort to resurrect some vintage Mac gear, I discovered (much to my dismay) that PowerPC macs aren’t really supported by any linux distros these days, unless you want something old and unsupported.

Gentoo is an option but I had issues getting it to work on my g5 recently, but I learned about a community fork of void linux specifically for ppc. I gave it a shot and I have to say, I’m impressed! It’s similar to arch in that you wind up with something barebones and have to figure out how to put together your linux system and desktop.

It’s also surprisingly fast. I dig it. I may try it on bare metal on a modern PC just to see how it performs.

That user put a lot of effort into making that release. Good to know it's still working.


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Online

#959 2020-07-24 09:28:28

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,881
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

OK, thanks for the clarifications. I wouldn't want to start any internet rumours...


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#960 2020-07-24 14:02:51

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 1,277

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

ohnonot wrote:

OK, thanks for the clarifications. I wouldn't want to start any internet rumours...

No problem. It's a running issue with the Void project.

I waiting to see if Juan makes a new distro with just few developers that share his vision and can work with him. It would be more like Alpine Linux, I think.


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Online

#961 2020-07-24 20:08:18

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

PackRat wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

^ Have heard good things about Void Linux, but their future is a little unclear? Something about it being mostly a 1-man-show, and that one man having left...

That's not correct. Juan (the original developer) has left again; most likely for good this time, but they were prepared for it this time. The project continues with about 15 developers, or a user can use xbps-src to create their own package if the application is not in the repos. There are also procedures to submit the package, but nothing like the AUR.

Because of the small development team, some packages get a bit old - gimp comes to mind - so Void is a rolling release but not bleeding edge like Arch.

Now I want to find an older PPC based macbook pro 2009 or earlier to play with smile

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-07-24 20:09:10)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#962 2020-07-24 22:39:40

cloverskull
Member
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 323

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

You’ll actually want a 2005-or-earlier PowerBook smile

Offline

#963 2020-07-25 02:42:48

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

cloverskull wrote:

You’ll actually want a 2005-or-earlier PowerBook smile

Oh yea think I can find a clean one on ebay and I know they won't be cheap. I am sure parts would also be hard to find.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-07-25 02:47:08)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#964 2020-07-25 03:33:20

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Miyo_3.th.pngMiyoLinux - Devuan - Openbox - 272MiB
Screenshot_2020-07-24_16-24-56.th.pngDXT2 - Debian - Xfce - 311MiB
gecko_fetch.th.pngGeckoLinux - openSUSE - Plasma - 405MiB
ArcoLinux_2020-07-24-23_1440x900.th.pngArcoLinux - Arch - Openbox - 433MiB
25.th.pngHefftorLinux - ArcoLinux - Arch - Xfce - 453MiB
Screenshot_20200712_224637.th.pngMX Linux - Debian - Plasma - 517MiB
neon_fetch.th.pngNeon - Ubuntu - Plasma - 534/797MiB
debian_fetch.th.pngDebian - Plasma - 561MiB ¹
Manjaro_fetch.th.pngManjaro - Arch - Xfce/Openbox - 651/355MiB ²
endevor_screenfetch.th.pngEndevorOS - Arch - Xfce - 656MiB
Screenshot_20200724_170733.th.pngKaOS - LFS - Plasma - 700MiB
Screenshot_2020-07-14_17-12-26.th.pngOpenstage - Arch - Xfce - 872MiB
Screenshot_20200709_035456.th.pngNeptune - Debian - Plasma - 878MiB
manjaro_plasma_fetch.th.pngManjaro - Arch - Plasma - 1032MiB
Screenshot_20200423_142901.th.pngSabayan - Gentoo - Plasma - 1090MiB
venom_fetch.th.pngVenom - Independent - Xfce -  1465MiB
Solus_fetch.th.pngSolus - Independent - Plasma - 1501/1205MiB ³




Notes:
Where neither screenfetch nor neofetch were installed, I tried to install both.

¹
No video driver

²
manjaro_free.th.pngManjaro Openbox free

³
Solus_free.th.pngSolus Plasma free

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-07-25 04:15:24)


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#965 2020-07-25 08:39:29

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,881
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

[grumble]
The wonders Virtualbox did for distrohoppers! I still remember when most machines weren't strong enough for that and distrohopping meant at the very least rebooting into a live medium, or having 64 logical partitions to install to bare metal. That was the real stuff, those were the real junkies! Nowadays it's all just Methadone.
[/grumble]


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#966 2020-07-25 08:57:51

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

^ All of my distrohopping is on real iron. No Virtualbox here. Just doesn't have the same feel.

Test machine:
test_setup_1200.th.jpgtest_setup1_1200.th.jpg

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-07-25 10:04:38)


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#967 2020-07-25 10:41:44

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 976
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Someone (old friend for many) appeared suddenly and i was surprised, i'm glad to read him, haven't seeing posting for quite a long time. I wish best of luck on everything to mb.

He came and posted a few things, but above all i appreciated this.

machinebacon wrote:

The biggest difference between distributions is the package manager. All Linux are more or less the same under the hood. Distrohopping is just an illusion

smile

P.S. Do not misconcept the sentence, i don't think he means do not stop trying other distros certainly.


OS: Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera/ceres)
WM: Openbox / Tint2

Studio Ghibli

Offline

#968 2020-07-25 10:51:14

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 976
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Alpine Linux - My last experience a month ago, extremely satisfied with the way this system is built.

It boot my old hardware for 8s with 40M ram to a WM. More or less like Debian/Devuan NETINST, the big difference to me was apk versus apt. apk was surprisingly faster.


OS: Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera/ceres)
WM: Openbox / Tint2

Studio Ghibli

Offline

#969 2020-07-25 11:00:13

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,881
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

I agree with machinebacon there.
And I would go beyond that: most distros are based on the same distro under the hood.
[ This becomes a real problem when newbies have some hardware problem and unsuccesfully try to solve it by throwing various distros at it - because all these distros are based on Ubuntu, which is what they started with :facepalm: ]

eight.bit.al wrote:

All of my distrohopping is on real iron. No Virtualbox here. Just doesn't have the same feel.

yikes
OK, you are a real addict then!
What's that, 20 distros in a week?

PS: I like that vintage note taking appliance you are using!

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-07-25 11:02:16)


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#970 2020-07-25 11:36:44

glittersloth
...village idiot
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,148

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

@Nili
Yeah, great to see him back.

Also, kvm/qemu > oracle molassesbox

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-07-25 11:38:58)

Offline

#971 2020-07-25 13:22:46

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 976
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

@eight.bit.al I appreciate your efforts to produce statistics for those distros. Well done bro.

@ohnonot I used too many ubuntu-based on my linux starting, i learned many tricks from #!, bbq, also from past and current members.
Sometimes starting badly and improving along the way is not a bad thing.

I agree with you, distro over distro or abuse of various forks for ordinary matters it is not advisable. They're too many already around us.


OS: Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera/ceres)
WM: Openbox / Tint2

Studio Ghibli

Offline

#972 2020-07-25 14:17:02

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

^ Thanks for the kind words.

8bit


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

#973 2020-07-25 15:16:30

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

My distro hopping I use bare metal too, and I swap hard drives/SSDs for that. True that VBox and VMware just don't give the same feel as bare metal does. I do have a 2nd computer for distro testing (a laptop).

MX Linux seems quite interesting and how can you run Plasma on it without systemd as I thought MX is systemd free like its sister distro AntiX.

BL has been my daily driver for a good while now as it's pretty darn fast with OB and screams on my new Ryzen desktop build.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-07-25 15:18:21)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#974 2020-07-25 15:21:00

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 992

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

ohnonot wrote:

I agree with machinebacon there.
And I would go beyond that: most distros are based on the same distro under the hood.
[ This becomes a real problem when newbies have some hardware problem and unsuccesfully try to solve it by throwing various distros at it - because all these distros are based on Ubuntu, which is what they started with :facepalm: ]

eight.bit.al wrote:

All of my distrohopping is on real iron. No Virtualbox here. Just doesn't have the same feel.

yikes
OK, you are a real addict then!
What's that, 20 distros in a week?

PS: I like that vintage note taking appliance you are using!

I can picture 8bit doing many well detailed reviews and tips/tricks on all those distros in his spare time. Now that would be a true distro junkie  devil  devil


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#975 2020-07-28 23:09:58

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 627

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Bullseye 5.7.0-1 - KDE 5.72.0 - Plasma 5.19.4  - Norbert Preining repo
bullseye_plasma.th.png

# 

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux bullseye-DI-alpha2 _Bullseye_ - Official Snapshot amd64 NETINST 20200315-11:07]/ bullseye main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux bullseye-DI-alpha2 _Bullseye_ - Official Snapshot amd64 NETINST 20200315-11:07]/ bullseye main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free

deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/other-deps/Debian_Testing/ ./
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/frameworks/Debian_Testing/ ./
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/plasma519/Debian_Testing/ ./
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/apps/Debian_Testing/ ./
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/npreining:/debian-kde:/other/Debian_Testing/ ./


# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-07-28 23:16:02)


Fly, for a white guy.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB