You are not logged in.

#26 2020-07-22 09:15:39

Naik

Re: Autologin and startx without a display manager.

^ For me the subject is just for fun. I don't think lightdm is that hungry on ressources, but since it is only used for showing lock-in greeter whenever my (single user, single DE/WM -)system went to sleep, I thought of getting rid off it...

naik --greetz

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#27 2020-07-22 09:16:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

Naik, I have been running without a display manager for ages, albeit on ArchLinux.
It is definitely possible,on Debian too.
As general recommendation, read this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc, esp. this:

Note: At the very least, ensure that the last if block in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is present in your ~/.xinitrc file to ensure that the scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d are sourced.

Also be aware that Debian might be doing things slightly different.

And also this: https://wiki.debian.org/xinit https://wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc

If you still get the delay on shutdown we have to troubleshoot more.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#28 2020-07-22 10:10:48

rbh

Naik wrote:

^ For me the subject is just for fun. I don't think lightdm is that hungry on ressources, but since it is only used for showing lock-in greeter whenever my (single user, single DE/WM -)system went to sleep, I thought of getting rid off it...

Ok, if it is only lightdm ou get rid of, it is only 5.7 MiB, you cut of.

Thanks, my aroused curiosity stilled...

// Regards rbh

#29 2020-07-23 07:35:43

Naik

@Ohnonot: I thought it has been recommended not to use a ~./xinitrc file on debian because it would negotiate the effort the developers put into creating a bunsenlabs-session.

reading the logs I only found this:

Jul 22 21:40:04 GerryTSSD systemd[1]: Stopped Login Service.
Jul 22 21:41:34 GerryTSSD systemd[3243]: ^[[0;1;39m^[[0;1;39mat-spi-dbus-bus.service: State 'stop-sigterm' timed out. Killing.
Jul 22 21:41:34 GerryTSSD systemd[3243]: ^[[0;1;39m^[[0;1;39mat-spi-dbus-bus.service: Killing process 3362 (at-spi-bus-laun) with signal SIGKILL.
Jul 22 21:41:34 GerryTSSD systemd[3243]: ^[[0;1;39m^[[0;1;39mat-spi-dbus-bus.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
Jul 22 21:41:34 GerryTSSD systemd[3243]: ^[[0;1;39m^[[0;1;39mat-spi-dbus-bus.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.

But maybe one of you guys can find more relevant info in the journal of a typical short session.

Thanks!

BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#30 2020-07-23 15:48:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

Naik wrote:

@Ohnonot: I thought it has been recommended not to use a ~./xinitrc file on debian because it would negotiate the effort the developers put into creating a bunsenlabs-session.

I'm pretty sure the bit from the archwiki I pointed out is still important because that's something the display manager would do normally.

---

#31 2020-07-24 08:03:45

Naik

ohnonot wrote:

I'm pretty sure the bit from the archwiki I pointed out is still important because that's something the display manager would do normally.

Yes, you sure are right. The problem is, all of this, and everything I could find elsewhere for now is about the start of an x-session and how to do the stuff the display-manager would do for me. But my problem occurs when I end the x-session and anyhow are not properly logged out.

Archwiki wrote:

Prepending exec will replace the script process with the window manager process, so that X does not exit even if this process forks to the background.

Now I have used "exec" to the startx command in ~/.bash_profile, thinking the x-session invoked should replace the terminal session it was called in (for obscure concerns on security mainly). May this be the reason for my trouble?
I'll do some try&error testing later today!

Thanks for your help so far!

naik --greetz

Last edited by Naik (2020-07-24 08:04:32)

BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#32 2020-07-25 09:38:26

Naik

^ Investigating further I found that:
A: removing exec did not help, but  broke the whole thing so x didn't start at all and
B: I'm unable to logout out now without automatically being logged in again.

Could it be that reboot and shutdown get delayed because systemd is constantly trying to log me in again? Where would be a place to look for evidence?

Thanks.

Naik --greetz

BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#33 2020-07-25 10:54:30

ohnonot
...again
Website

Naik wrote:

A: removing exec did not help, but  broke the whole thing so x didn't start at all and

This is strange. My startx/~/.xinitrc combo is not that fragile. It behaves differently - 'exec startx' ends the shell when executing startx, hence I'm effectively logged out when I end the session.

Naik wrote:

B: I'm unable to logout out now without automatically being logged in again.

This is the result of configuring the getty systemd target to autologin as outlined in post #1.

Naik wrote:

Could it be that reboot and shutdown get delayed because systemd is constantly trying to log me in again? Where would be a place to look for evidence?

journalctl

has various options and defaults depending on what you're looking for.

---

Board footer