You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-17 08:13:50

rbh

We lack some documentations in Lithium

We lack some documentations in Lithium.

A while ago there was disussion about default mediaplayer. I was wrongly assuming mpv was default mediaplayer (was on the box i then used, was dead certain I had not changed...). We do not have any listing of default aplications on neither the live box, nor on newly installed pc.

We have no helpfile for new default terminal urxvt (rxvt-unicode). Until recently, I have continued to use terminator as default terminal. Now finaly, I have found out how to copy and paste in terminal window (terminal is more usefull with that...). I have searched the net but not found any working solution. That information ought to be more accessible.

I found out that in Conky Manager, conky settings must en in .conf, to be listed. There is no BL helpfile for Conky Manager.

I think that at least to next release we ought to tackle a more complete documentation.

// Regards rbh

#2 2020-07-17 08:34:18

rbh

Re: We lack some documentations in Lithium

Trenton wrote:

It is surprising that MPV isn't the default mediaplayer

The pros and cons of default mediaapp, could maybe be held in the thread Why do you use VLC instead of Gnome-MPV (Celluloid), and in this thread disuss documentation in Lithium?

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-07-17 16:31:53

damo
....moderator....

rbh wrote:

We lack some documentations in Lithium...

I think that at least to next release we ought to tackle a more complete documentation.

Very true - it is lower down the To Do list though, atm. But you are more than welcome to contribute to anything that you think needs improving, either here or via pull requests on github.

The more the BL community can do, the quicker everything could happen.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2020-07-17 18:19:41

ohnonot
...again
Website

damo wrote:

Very true - it is lower down the To Do list though, atm.

Don't underestimate documentation, please.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#5 2020-07-17 23:12:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

rbh wrote:

... for new default terminal urxvt (rxvt-unicode).

Our lithium default terminal is lxterminal which uses standard terminal shortcuts Ctrl-Shift-C/Ctrl-Shift-V, but fair enough. It is possible to copy/paste in urxvt via some .xsettings lines, but I don't have a link handy, it's been a while since I used that terminal.

I found out that in Conky Manager, conky settings must en in .conf, to be listed. There is no BL helpfile for Conky Manager.

man conky mentions the .conf file and locations, but fair enough that Conky Manager has no Help file. Thanks for the feedback!

Trenton wrote:

It is surprising that MPV isn't the default mediaplayer , even Martin Wimpres the lead developer of the MATE desktop and long time a,dvocate of VLC has conceded that MPV is a better player.

As have all the BL Team members. It's been said before, VLC is what #! used, VLC is feature-rich and VLC works OOTB on every computer.

Debian, and also BunsenLabs, provides Debian-Alternatives as a way to set a differebt app as the default app for media player, text editor, terminal, browser, file manager, image viewer. Install the application you prefer, set it via Right-click>System>Edit Debian Alternatives, done.

Example, I have bl-media-player set to smplayer, my GUI frontend for mpv. In the SmPlayer menu, Options>Preferences>Interface lets you adopt the current system GTK and icon theme. Can recommend, 10/10.

Some forum-user help for this issue would be much appreciated.

#6 2020-07-17 23:38:23

rbh

hhh wrote:
rbh wrote:

... for new default terminal urxvt (rxvt-unicode).

Our lithium default terminal is lxterminal

Ok, I rememberd wrong again....

man conky mentions the .conf file and locations, but fair enough that Conky Manager has no Help file. Thanks for the feedback!.

Conkysettings from Helium must be renamed if they do not end in .conf, to be listed in the conky-manager. Default *.conf and location is mentioned, but not that the naming sheme...

Some forum-user help for this issue would be much appreciated.

I will try to contribute.

// Regards rbh

#7 2020-07-18 00:10:05

damo
....moderator....

Trenton wrote:

But hasn't the #! web browser changed over time?

It has been Firefox for a long time.

#8 2020-07-18 00:19:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

damo wrote:
Trenton wrote:

But hasn't the #! web browser changed over time?

It has been Firefox for a long time.

Since CrunchBang, in fact. It looks like we'll use Dillo for our CD-sized, 32 bit non-PAE compatible lithium ISO, but you can install firefox or chromium after the OS gets installed.

#9 2020-07-18 09:17:30

damo
....moderator....

Trenton wrote:

I've noticed some forums have a dedicated section for User contributed documentation and Artwork...

That is what Documentation -> Tutorials is for. If you want to contribute then post it here, in Development & Suggestions. If it is suitable then we can edit it and include it in Tutorials, or as a helpfile in the repos.

#10 2020-07-19 05:12:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thanks rbh for raising this topic. Documentation is a long-standing problem throughout the Linux world. I think the basic cause is that where people are working for fun, and no-one is paying them a salary, they tend to do what they enjoy. Coding is more enjoyable than writing documentation for many people. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a nice warm feeling of having Done Something Good for the Community after writing docs though! And of course no-one would deny that documentation is very important -  they'd just rather someone else wrote it.

rbh wrote:

A while ago there was disussion about default mediaplayer. I was wrongly assuming mpv was default mediaplayer (was on the box i then used, was dead certain I had not changed...). We do not have any listing of default aplications on neither the live box, nor on newly installed pc.

The choice of default application is often even simpler than @hhh posted: if the app being installed is in the bl-alternatives candidate list (see /usr/bin/bl-alternatives), it will be automatically added to the alternatives, just as in the regular Debian alternatives (of which the Bunsen alternatives are just an extension). This means, for example, if you install mpv and uninstall vlc then mpv will automatically become the default media player. The current app can be checked - or changed - via Menu > System > Edit Debian Alternatives. But yes, that information should be made available to new users somewhere.

We have no helpfile for new default terminal urxvt (rxvt-unicode).

There is always 'man x-terminal-emulator'. This will also tell you which terminal is current default. But urxvt is only the default install on the CD iso, because it runs faster on old machines than the Lithium default lxterminal. The Debian alternative x-terminal-emulator will automatically handle any terminal you install.

...finaly, I have found out how to copy and paste in terminal window

As @hhh said it's Ctrl+Shift+C etc on lxterminal, and most others. Urxvt also supports copy/paste out of the box, but the keys are Ctrl+Alt+C etc.

I found out that in Conky Manager, conky settings must en in .conf, to be listed.

Not exactly.

EDIT This is wrong - see below for the correct filepath conditions.

Right now in conky-manager the file can be named:
1) anything with 'conky' in it
or
2) anything ending in .conkyrc
In fact I think it might be better to insist that the first case ends with .conf, but that's for post-release tweaking...
Did you find different behaviour from that?

There is no BL helpfile for Conky Manager.

Menu>Help & Resources > Bunsen Helpfiles > Conky Manager Help does not appear for you? But it's a bit short and lacks the filename info you mention anyway.

Excellent goal!

Last edited by johnraff (2020-07-20 01:53:33)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#11 2020-07-19 17:19:41

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

John wrote:

In fact I think it might be better to insist that the first case ends with .conf, but that's for post-release tweaking...

WHY?

What does “rc” mean in dot files

The ‘rc’ suffix goes back to Unix's grandparent, CTSS. It had a command-script feature called "runcom". Early Unixes used ‘rc’ for the name of the operating system's boot script, as a tribute to CTSS runcom.

What's wrong with using the old standard ~/.conkyrc:  (rc = runcom)

Check the net almost everywhere you go it says something similar to:

Conky Configuration

Conky will look for a local ~/.conkyrc file and if it doesn’t exist, then it will read the default one – /etc/conky/conky.conf.

Copy the default Conky config to your home directory.

$ cp /etc/conky/conky.conf ~/.conkyrc

Now edit ~/.conkyrc file to make changes to Conky:

$ vi ~/.conkyrc
 19 Jul 20 @ 14:09:40 ~
   $ ls -a ~/|grep 'rc$'
.bashrc
.conkyrc
.dmrc
.mkshrc
.netloadrc
.pbuilderrc
.taskrc
.tkremindrc
.var-conkyrc
.vimrc
.vnstatrc
.xsessionrc

19 Jul 20 @ 14:09:49 ~
   $ 

Why change something so universal within Linux distros?

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#12 2020-07-19 18:14:31

hhh
Meep!
Website

Damn, we hit a nerve.

#13 2020-07-19 19:19:26

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Naaaaaaaaa   just trying to understand why "it might be better to insist" on the change from norm.

Hey, 99% all mine are in:

/media/5/conky
- or subdirectories
or
/media/5/Conky
- or subditrectories

a conky can be called anything ... if you start it with (example):

conky -c /path/to/the/conky/filerc
conky -c /path/to/the/conky/file.txt
conky -c /path/to/the/conky/file.bob
conky -c /path/to/the/conky/file.mine
conky -c /path/to/the/conky/file.whatever_you_want

So why "insist" on the change?

And yes I know .config exists with other files:

19 Jul 20 @ 16:17:44 ~
   $ ls -a ~/|grep 'conf$'
.disk-manager.conf
.gconf

19 Jul 20 @ 16:18:13 ~
   $ ls -a ~/.config|grep 'conf$'
artha.conf
compton.conf
dconf
gweled.conf
QtProject.conf
s11.compton.conf
Trolltech.conf
yad.conf

19 Jul 20 @ 16:18:31 ~
   $ 

#14 2020-07-19 19:32:16

rbh

You can call conky configfile whatever you want. But if you want to use Conky-manager, configfiles must be named:

1) anything with 'conky' in it or
2) anything ending in .conkyrc

And that is information that will be documented later on.

Last edited by rbh (2020-07-19 19:33:00)

// Regards rbh

#15 2020-07-19 20:29:27

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

@ rbh

The Conky-manager was written by a BL-Dev Team member.  Therefore options 1 and 2 can be changed as fast as it can be typed into the code.

Since I am no longer a part of the DEV team I shall no longer make comments as I did a couple of posts above.  They've all done a marvellous job up to this point, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Pardon me please.

#16 2020-07-20 01:36:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@Sector11 sorry, my choice of the word "insist" was maybe inappropriate. What I was talking about was how conky-manager would know if a file was a conky config file or not. If there was a bit of code inside the file it could check for that would be better, but there doesn't seem to be, so all the script can do is check the file name.

The current regular expression which bl-conky-manager uses is:

CPATH_REGEX='.*(conky.*\.conf|conky|\.conkyrc)'

(Followed in the script by a $ to indicate end of string.)

Looking again, I see I misread that, was careless with testing, and posted the wrong filename conditions yesterday. It should have been:

1) anything with conky in it (anywhere in the filepath) AND ending with .conf
2) anything ending with conky
3) anything ending with .conkyrc

Because the utility is only looking for conky files in ~/.config/conky (it could be changed to look in other places too) that means that any name ending in .conf will satisfy condition 1). So @rbh you were right - any file ending in .conf will be recognized. But also any filename ending in conky or .conkyrc.

So in fact the test might not need any adjusting?

---
As to why BL now ships conky config files named <something>conky.conf instead of <something>.conkyrc, it was simply because the conky developer made that change, and we wanted to stay in line.

Conky Manual wrote:

FILES
       ${sysconfdir}/conky/conky.conf
              Default   system-wide   configuration   file.    The   value   of
              ${sysconfdir}  depends  on  the compile-time options (most likely
              /etc).

~/.config/conky/conky.conf
              Default personal configuration file.

Of course, @Sector11 as you say, users are free to name their conky files however they like, and put them in any location they like. But it would be very difficult to manage them with a script then.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer