You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 23:32:53

plexure

Laptop overheating

Hello guys. I just installed Bunsenlabs, and right off the bat i noticed that my laptop is heating more than normal for some reason. CPU usage is normal, so i don't know what the problem is. I'm using a 80K4 Lenovo ideapad 500-15ACZ. This is the output of sensors:

amdgpu-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:         +0.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:       24.25 mW (avg =   3.08 mW, interval =   0.01 s)
                       (crit =  15.00 W)

radeon-pci-0600
temp1:            N/A  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +62.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +99.0°C)

If there's any more commands i need to show you guys please tell me. Thanks in advance!

#2 2020-01-01 00:58:19

damo
....moderator....

Re: Laptop overheating

Well if it isn't getting to the "High" temp value I guess it isn't actually overheating. (My laptop tends to be in the range 45-65 C).

Does it get too hot if you put some load on it?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-01-01 01:29:45

manyroads
Website

If you are using Buster... in my experience (my pcs) Debian 10 runs hotter than 9.

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
dwm on Arch ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

#4 2020-01-01 13:09:36

ohnonot
...again
Website

plexure wrote:

This is the output of sensors:

<snip>
k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +62.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)

Are you sure that command showed something significantly different earlier?
What distro was installed before BL?
Which BL version have you installed?

Have you cleaned the vents?

What sort of hardware is this? How old is it?

My all-intel desktop runs significantly lower temperatures.

And how did you configure sensors? I'm not sure what k10temp-pci-00c3 is...

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#5 2020-01-01 13:20:04

clusterF

^ and the number 1 question that should be answered is what is the ambient room temp ?

My laptop runs a lot better now i have an ssd drive, i live in a hot climate so i try to make the room temps cooler and have the laptop on a decent stand to allow for airflow under it. Typical usage for me will see all 4  cores get to around 55c - 60c . Under load it will go up to 70 and 80, but my laptop now is not really suitable for hard tasks, its too old.

Last edited by clusterF (2020-01-01 13:23:34)

#6 2020-07-13 14:54:55

plexure

hey guys, i'm very sorry about not answering this sooner. i thought that since i posted the original message on summer the problem was due to the room temperature being too high, so i thought it would go away once it got cooler, but the problems have persisted even on winter. these are the problems i've noticed since i installed bunsenlabs:

1) laptop overheats
2) battery life is way reduced (it used to last maybe 2-3 hours, now it's less than an hour)
3) fans are louder than when i was using another distro (ubuntu)

can someone please help me out here? i thought about bringing this again here since a new topic would be spam. sorry for ghosting y'all  sad

this is the output of sensors now, i'll answer your previous questions:

amdgpu-pci-0008

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:       23.61 mW (avg =   6.57 mW, interval =   0.01 s)
                       (crit =  15.00 W)

radeon-pci-0600

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +52.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)

please let me know if there's other commands you want me to show.

#7 2020-07-13 15:00:48

plexure

damo wrote:

Does it get too hot if you put some load on it?

it does get hotter if i'm playing a game or i'm doing a lot of stuff at the same time. my laptop has 16GB or RAM, i start to get issues whenever i'm using +2GB which i think is worrisome.

manyroads wrote:

If you are using Buster... in my experience (my pcs) Debian 10 runs hotter than 9.

i'm still on helium, so this is Stretch.

ohnonot wrote:

Have you cleaned the vents?

What sort of hardware is this? How old is it?

My all-intel desktop runs significantly lower temperatures.

And how did you configure sensors? I'm not sure what k10temp-pci-00c3 is...

1) i haven't done that, but since this wasn't an issue back when i used ubuntu i have no idea what the problem is.
2) it's a 80K4 Lenovo ideapad 500-15ACZ, i got it around 2017 so it's not that old.
3) i haven't configured sensors, this is the default output.

clusterF wrote:

^ and the number 1 question that should be answered is what is the ambient room temp ?

the room temp was indeed high at the time, but now that it's winter the problem has persisted. sad

#8 2020-07-13 21:15:54

rbh

Sensor k10temp-pci-00c3 is probly your AMD cpu.

You should run "sensors-detect" as root, to configure which senseórs to run. It will answer someting like

AMD Family 10h thermal sensors...                           Success!
    (driver `k10temp')    

You can answer yes to all questions the script asks.

More info about lm-sensors at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lm_sensorsand https://github.com/lm-sensors/lm-sensors

Glances https://nicolargo.github.io/glances/ is a good tool to check your pc load.

// Regards rbh

#9 2020-07-13 21:35:44

plexure

first of all, thanks for the reply @rbh. it was irresponsible for me to leave this topic open for so long, i should've adressed the issue right away.

with that being said: i installed the script, answered yes to every question, but after this the program just stopped:

Next adapter: card1-DP-1 (i2c-16)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
This is relatively common on laptops, where thermal management is
handled by ACPI rather than the OS.

i ran sensors again, this is the output:

radeon-pci-0600

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1:       22.70 mW (avg =   2.09 mW, interval =   0.01 s)
                       (crit =  15.00 W)

amdgpu-pci-0008

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +54.2°C  (high = +70.0°C)

what should i do now?

#10 2020-07-13 21:41:40

rbh

@Plexure, is this your pc: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/se/en/prod … 15acz/80k4

you should look through the manual and consider open the laptop to exqmine how much dust you cn clean out.

After that, configure lm-sensors (run sensors-detect).
Start laptop, when it has been of a while and is cool. Run sensors, when idle, newly started. Pipe result to file:

$ sensors > "sensors-$(date +%F_%2R).log"

Increase the pc cpu load, run sensors again, repeat.

che3ck logs. Does the fans increas speed when temp increase? If they only sounds more, the bearings my be worn out. It is simple to replace fan.

Last edited by rbh (2020-07-13 21:42:16)

// Regards rbh

#11 2020-07-13 21:50:26

plexure

yes, that's my laptop. i'm afraid the manual is long gone, i bought this laptop like three years ago. i think i'll try and open it to see what the issue is. thanks for your quick answer!

#12 2020-07-13 22:19:10

twoion
ほやほや

Regarding laptop temps, I have a 6 year old Thinkpad x240 and due to dust and such (deep cleaning is long overdue) I usually idle around 50°C and when playing games or watching non-hardware-decoded video I get around 80°C. Unless it's winter and the device is actually cold temperatures under 30°C are not happening. 60°C is pretty normal for me...

An ideapad is not a thinkpad, meaning that Lenovo used and uses different firmwares etc, so the behaviour might be different, but essentially the laptop only "overheats" when the crit temperatures in the ACPI output are triggered; the CPU will then automatically throttle to get below the temperatures. These events register as errors/warnings in dmesg output like "[10498.701806] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2582)". Unless you trigger these events literally constantly, no hardware damage should be imminent...

So the question is, do these events actually happen or how else do you determine if the laptop is overheating? or is overheating here more a relative term to compare it to before?

Regarding temperature profile: Different kernels do control the CPU differently, and different microcode versions make the CPU behave differently. If the laptop consistently runs hotter than before, that might mean that either the CPU is not getting but into a lower frequency range by the CPU governor (check cpupower frequency-info!), perhaps the laptop is running under a "performance" governor consistently whereas on other distros or kernels the default was "ondemand". I can't tell you much about this as my Intel system has been using the intel_pstate governor by default for years which is a more advanced power management scheme https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.12/a … tate.html), and AMD might do things differently these days. If you can confirm that the CPU is never getting stepped back, this is a knob you could tune, because this should be dynamic unless you have a server (on which you usually completely disable this -- and Debian ships the same kernel for servers and desktops, which means that it's optimized for neither of those types of machine, leading to questionable results sometimes).

Another thing that could have changed is fan control; never kernels try to be as quiet as possible and start spinning up fans rather later than sooner in order to improve desktop experience. This could also have changed with a distro/kernel change; this can be tuned, too - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fa … an_control you could make the fan span at higher speeds or spin at all at all times to keep temperature down.

Beyond that, it's true that different kernel versions use hardware differently. My laptop also seemed to become hotter some time between early 4.x and 5.x kernels, though it's more a thing of going with the times...not enough energy to debug every little thing.

Per aspera ad astra.

#13 2020-07-15 13:51:46

ohnonot
...again
Website

Have you cleaned the vents yet???

my repos / my repos
---

#14 2020-08-06 03:55:38

jeffreyC

Suggestions:

As others mentioned clean out the dust.

Replace the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink (OEMs tend to use cheap stuff and it does go bad).
You already have it apart to clean it.

Undervolt the CPU (I have done this on Intel CPUs myself and it does help).
For AMD I found this:

https://github.com/turionpowercontrol/tpc

#15 2020-08-06 07:32:17

ohnonot
...again
Website

We simply don't have enough data yet. Before falling back on such complex things, OP should first (fully) follow up on the more obvious:
- clean vents & fans
- make sure sensors is configured
- figure out if something simply uses too much CPU, and what

my repos / my repos
---

Board footer