You are not logged in.

#101 2020-06-22 16:03:49

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

glittersloth wrote:
damo wrote:

^ The rounded corners aren't honouring the blue window outline colour though, and the aliasing is icky. I don't think I'll give it a try sad

Not a fan of the inconsistency of rounded-ness either, like how the corners of the blue highlighted "scrot Screenshooter" bottlenecks the corner in the obmenu. That's just screaming at you to switch system font to Comic Sans.

Jeah, you both may be right, but...
I found it being possible, so it had to be done!


naik --greetz


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#102 2020-06-22 19:48:07

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 959
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

DeepDayze wrote:

I've seen rounded corners in Fluxbox as well.

RoundCorners on Fluxbox are the easiest.

/home/user/.fluxbox/styles/themes/theme.cfg

We can specify where we want the rounded up, down, left, right or all. I currently use

for menu:

menu.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

for toolbar/half round:

toolbar.shaped: true

for window(s):

window.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

Offline

#103 2020-06-23 03:56:26

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 958

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Nili wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

I've seen rounded corners in Fluxbox as well.

RoundCorners on Fluxbox are the easiest.

/home/user/.fluxbox/styles/themes/theme.cfg

We can specify where we want the rounded up, down, left, right or all. I currently use

for menu:

menu.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

for toolbar/half round:

toolbar.shaped: true

for window(s):

window.roundCorners: TopRight TopLeft BottomRight BottomLeft

Yup, I've seen many themes on AntiX that had rounded corners for windows, dialogs and menus including the fluxbox menu which is akin to the Openbox one.

Rounded corners aren't as easy to implement in Openbox as I can tell. Hopefully a future update will have round corners built in that themes can implement round corners just as easily as in Fluxbox.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-06-23 03:58:29)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#104 2020-06-23 05:12:13

beaker
Unverified Muppet
Registered: 2016-03-06
Posts: 158

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Aren't the cool kids rounding their openbox corners off with their compositors these days (which is NOT compton btw)?

Offline

#105 2020-06-23 09:56:09

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 959
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

DeepDayze wrote:

Yup, I've seen many themes on AntiX that had rounded corners for windows, dialogs and menus including the fluxbox menu which is akin to the Openbox one.

Rounded corners aren't as easy to implement in Openbox as I can tell. Hopefully a future update will have round corners built in that themes can implement round corners just as easily as in Fluxbox.

Indeed, AntiX, MX Linux & vsido the latter thanks to PackRat for wrote somewhat hidden features.
I really learned a lot from vsido page. Yo PackRat, thanks buddy.
While AntiX & MX are very good promoters of FB with their themes or OS dedicated like MX Fluxbox.

Imo, Openbox should integrate rounded within his code, Many user like this features, very late i started using it aswell, i like rounded on small dialogs, but they're not good looking on big/maximized window. So yes, agree if OB will make it for the future.

Offline

#106 2020-06-23 18:47:45

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 958

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Nili wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Yup, I've seen many themes on AntiX that had rounded corners for windows, dialogs and menus including the fluxbox menu which is akin to the Openbox one.

Rounded corners aren't as easy to implement in Openbox as I can tell. Hopefully a future update will have round corners built in that themes can implement round corners just as easily as in Fluxbox.

Indeed, AntiX, MX Linux & vsido the latter thanks to PackRat for wrote somewhat hidden features.
I really learned a lot from vsido page. Yo PackRat, thanks buddy.
While AntiX & MX are very good promoters of FB with their themes or OS dedicated like MX Fluxbox.

Imo, Openbox should integrate rounded within his code, Many user like this features, very late i started using it aswell, i like rounded on small dialogs, but they're not good looking on big/maximized window. So yes, agree if OB will make it for the future.

Ahh, vsido's cool theme had rounded corners too, as well as being pleasingly dark. Shame it is all but abandoned now as there's been no release in a good while and wondering about VastOne as well. I've seen PackRat around and his work's impeccable.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-06-23 18:48:58)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#107 2020-06-24 06:36:20

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

DeepDayze wrote:

Rounded corners aren't as easy to implement in Openbox as I can tell. Hopefully a future update will have round corners built in that themes can implement round corners just as easily as in Fluxbox.

Nili wrote:

Imo, Openbox should integrate rounded within his code, Many user like this features, very late i started using it aswell, i like rounded on small dialogs, but they're not good looking on big/maximized window. So yes, agree if OB will make it for the future.

It won't happen.
Openbox is feature complete.
It is maintained, Dana Jansens and Mikael Magnusson are still active on the mailing list, but afaik there's no plans whatsoever to make even the smallest change to it or its theming engine.
Don't you think someone would've implemented rounded corners already in the last ten years or so?
Add to that the Damocles sword hanging over Xorg (*), and the fact that the current devs don't make even the slightest attempt to port openbox to Wayland...
This is just like begging for ice cream when the nearest shop is 100 miles away, behind you.

@Naik: great you got it working. You might want to consider prepending your commands with "LC_ALL=C" when sharing their output (to make it english). It's really easy on a Scandinavian keyboard (and I suppose on a German keyboard too), just hold down Shift and type "lc-all0c".

(*) Granted, it could still be decades before this becomes a real issue.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-06-24 06:40:28)


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#108 2020-06-24 08:39:40

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

ohnonot wrote:

@Naik: great you got it working. You might want to consider prepending your commands with "LC_ALL=C" when sharing their output (to make it english). It's really easy on a Scandinavian keyboard (and I suppose on a German keyboard too), just hold down Shift and type "lc-all0c".

Yeah, sorry! I new this but just didn't thought about it.. Do you think I should edit my post (again), or was this just for future posts?
I won't go over all the commands again just get to get the right output but it should be easy enough to translate them manually...

naik --greetz


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#109 2020-06-24 14:48:52

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 958

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

ohnonot wrote:

It won't happen.
Openbox is feature complete.
It is maintained, Dana Jansens and Mikael Magnusson are still active on the mailing list, but afaik there's no plans whatsoever to make even the smallest change to it or its theming engine.
Don't you think someone would've implemented rounded corners already in the last ten years or so?
Add to that the Damocles sword hanging over Xorg (*), and the fact that the current devs don't make even the slightest attempt to port openbox to Wayland...

This is just like begging for ice cream when the nearest shop is 100 miles away, behind you.

(*) Granted, it could still be decades before this becomes a real issue.

Think I read somewhere that there's a project to port OB to Wayland. That sounds like a cool project if it does succeed so maybe a future BL release could be using Wayland instead of Xorg.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-06-24 14:49:20)


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#110 2020-06-25 06:10:56

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

^ You "think"? Can't be that important to you if you don't know more about it.
I do, and I also know that it's not being done by its current developers.
Also, you cannot just "port" openbox to wayland. Because wayland is so fundamentally different from Xorg.
You might be able to reuse the theming engine in the end, but functionality would have to be rewritten from scratch, more or less.
These things have been talked about.

Naik wrote:

Do you think I should edit my post (again), or was this just for future posts?

No, no, just for the future!
Of course it's your decision, maybe you want to make this into a tutorial.


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#111 2020-06-27 08:22:31

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

ohnonot wrote:

Of course it's your decision, maybe you want to make this into a tutorial.

I thought about this, but since the result is somewhat *nahh*, I didn't do It till know, also context menus are not respected and the like, but I will think about it and maybe give it a go tomorrow. With proper language...

EDIT:TYPO...


naik --greetz

Last edited by Naik (2020-06-29 10:20:34)


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#112 2020-06-28 02:00:46

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,236
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Naik wrote:

With propper language...

*proper, you're learning already!

It really is a weird word to look at. I would read proper as 'pro (not con) per' if I didn't know better.

Also, the word 'weird'. Seize the weird sheik. So much for 'I before E except after C". Some humorous insight...

http://steve.wagar.com/ibeforee.htm

Offline

#113 2020-06-28 02:09:04

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

hhh wrote:

... if I didn't know better.

If i didn't know beter? Aint English speling great big_smile


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#114 2020-06-28 02:16:01

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,236
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Don't confuse Naik further, that's just cruel. Walk a mile farther in his shoes and you'll see.

Offline

#115 2020-06-28 02:47:27

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 958

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

hhh wrote:

Don't confuse Naik further, that's just cruel. Walk a mile farther in his shoes and you'll see.

monkey


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#116 2020-06-29 10:25:07

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

And I thought I'm on the safe side with all the spell-checking and almost 10years of English in school, but no, the kind people of bunsenlands still are making fun of me...
But do me a favour and "keep off my blue seued shoes"! big_smile


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#117 2020-06-29 13:24:33

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

I am in awe of non-native speakers of English on these forums. They put us to shame with their ability to join in with colloquial banter.

For language nerds, there is a great series of podcasts about language here: https://lingthusiasm.com/. The psychology, anatomy and culture that affects the meaning of collections of sounds, and strings of symbols. is fascinating.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#118 2020-06-29 14:31:00

glittersloth
...village idiot
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 1,116

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Naik wrote:

... but no, the kind people of bunsenlands still are making fun of me...

They make fun of everyone. You have it easy. They take everything I say and put it in a script, introducing me as as the resident village idiot to everyone who tries the distro for the first time. A truly unpleasant bunch.

Offline

#119 2020-06-29 17:02:47

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Naik wrote:

And I thought I'm on the safe side with all the spell-checking and almost 10years of English in school, but no, the kind people of bunsenlands still are making fun of me...
But do me a favour and "keep off my blue seued shoes"! big_smile

I thought they were called "Blue Swede shoes"! Or maybe "blue suet shues"? big_smile big_smile

damo wrote:

For language nerds, there is a great series of podcasts about language here: https://lingthusiasm.com/. The psychology, anatomy and culture that affects the meaning of collections of sounds, and strings of symbols. is fascinating.

Oh, I'm going to love that. As someone born to immigrants in one country, who moved to another country, speaking both languages daily and often conversing in a 3rd one (namely English) - it gets weird. When you cannot express something in your native tongue you can perfectly express in the learned tongue. Or when you catch yourself translating certain typical structures from one language into another, wondering why it sounds wrong.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-06-29 17:02:56)


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#120 2020-06-30 18:51:21

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

@Ohnonot: Suet shoes? Nice idea, but it is a little too warm for things like this right now!


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#121 2020-07-01 14:46:28

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2015-09-30
Posts: 959
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

ohnonot wrote:

Openbox is feature complete.
It is maintained, Dana Jansens and Mikael Magnusson are still active on the mailing list, but afaik there's no plans whatsoever to make even the smallest change to it or its theming engine.
Don't you think someone would've implemented rounded corners already in the last ten years or so?
Add to that the Damocles sword hanging over Xorg (*), and the fact that the current devs don't make even the slightest attempt to port openbox to Wayland...
This is just like begging for ice cream when the nearest shop is 100 miles away, behind you.

I hurried at my request knowing a bit "Openbox is feature completed".
The second question, i see as a matter of will and desire, if one of maintainer find the time can do this thing very quickly.
Porting to Wayland, well, this is another story, this seems impossible to me again for matters of time or will. I believe that someone will come out to make it Wayland like sway/i3 in the future.
The last reference is very striking and fits very well the status of Openbox already.

Last edited by Nili (2020-07-01 14:47:04)

Offline

#122 2020-07-07 05:33:45

beaker
Unverified Muppet
Registered: 2016-03-06
Posts: 158

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/comme … hts_slate/

^ I think this is an example of openbox with rounded corners using the compositor. Looks pretty nice?

Offline

#123 2020-07-07 08:09:47

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

^ hopefully somebody will ask about the corners and openbox version. The video is scaled down which could hide the fact that the corners are jagged & ugly.
Nothing hints at rounded corners in the files linked to this unixporn.


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#124 2020-07-07 19:44:20

Naik
Member
From: Lipsia
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 257

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

^ & ^^ I just found some of this rices and that's why I went here in the first place. It looks like there is a openbox-3.6.2-rounded-corners but I am clueless on how to get this arch-linux package to run on debian. Alien maybe?


"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

Offline

#125 2020-07-07 21:10:18

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,902

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

Naik wrote:

^ & ^^ I just found some of this rices and that's why I went here in the first place. It looks like there is a openbox-3.6.2-rounded-corners but I am clueless on how to get this arch-linux package to run on debian. Alien maybe?

PKGBUILDs need makepkg to interpret them, I don't think translating them is that simple, especially since PKGBUILDs are basically Bash scripts with arbitrary code in them.

But because it's a PKGBUILD, all you need to do to build this is essentially there. You can simply download the base tarball that's in the source=() line in the PKGBUILD, apply all the patches using the patch

It's a PKGBUILD, so all you need to do is clone the repo of the AUR package.

Then you can manually download the tarball in the source=() field, execute all the patch commands in prepare(), execute the build() commands, change --prefix to --prefix=/usr/local for configure, then make && sudo make install. You could also use the archlinux:latest docker image for building this.

I felt free to build the package for you, it's a tarball and you can extract the binary, MAYBE it'll work against Debian libraries, if not Helium/Stretch then Buster/Lithium.

Here: https://0x0.2ion.de/openbox-patched-3.6 … 64.pkg.tar

Maybe it's enough to extract the openbox binary and place it in /usr/local/bin.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB