You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-05 09:09:13

10hnny4ark0

Black screen on netbook

Hi. I am inexperienced with linux but I installed bunsenlabs easily and when I boot I get a black screen. When I run live from usb everything's fine. Is there a permanent fix/solution? The netbook is a Lenovo S10-2. Thanks in advance

#2 2020-07-05 09:29:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Black screen on netbook

I don't know about the permanent fix, but temporarily you should append the word "nomodeset" (without the quotes) to your kernel command line, and if you can boot BL with that, give us some initial troubleshooting information about your graphics.

nomodeset: https://askubuntu.com/a/38834

gathering info: in a terminal, execute the following commands and show us their output, incl. the command itself:

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
grep -EC5 '\(EE)|Kernel command|Log file' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
grep -EC5 '\(EE)|Kernel command|Log file' ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#3 2020-07-05 09:30:09

rbh

10hnny4ark0 wrote:

Hi. I am inexperienced with linux but I installed bunsenlabs easily and when I boot I get a black screen. When I run live from usb everything's fine. Is there a permanent fix/solution? The netbook is a Lenovo S10-2. Thanks in advance

If you have made "a serious attempt to search for answers before posting here", as the forum description says, you wold have noticed that there is quite many with new hardware who has displayproblems.

You do not make it easy to help you with that very vage error desciption and no information about your hardware.

Some has solved the problem with updating kernel from backports repo. You can try that.

Can you log in to tty1 (hold down Ctrl+Alt, press F1)?
When you boot to live session, can you mount your installation and read the last /var/log/Xorg-log?

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-07-05 09:42:27

10hnny4ark0

I'll try and let you know. Thanks for all the help!

#5 2020-07-06 12:53:48

10hnny4ark0

Unfortunately the "nomodeset" did not work for me so I will boot to live session which works fine and see what I can get. I'm a complete noob so bear with me.

Board footer