You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-21 15:47:45

Mike_H

grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install into /target/

Hi, I am getting the following error when I try to install Bunsenlabs Lithium RC3.

"Install the GRUB bootloader on a hard disk"
"The grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB bootloader , the installed system will not boot."

I have a Acer Swift 5, latest model (2019 or 2020), firmware up to date. It has UEFI and does not allow you to use legacy BIOS. I have secure boot off.

I partitioned the system using the automatic option (full disk) and confirmed that there is an EFI partition with enough space (500M), Type fat32, boot flag on.

After a lot of googling someone in a Debian forum suggested making sure that the usb drive with the installer was partitioned using GPT, that did not work, same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 2020-06-21 16:00:15

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Re: grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install into /target/

Mike_H wrote:

Hi, I am getting the following error when I try to install Bunsenlabs Lithium RC3.

"Install the GRUB bootloader on a hard disk"
"The grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB bootloader , the installed system will not boot."

I have a Acer Swift 5, latest model (2019 or 2020), firmware up to date. It has UEFI and does not allow you to use legacy BIOS. I have secure boot off.

I partitioned the system using the automatic option (full disk) and confirmed that there is an EFI partition with enough space (500M), Type fat32, boot flag on.

After a lot of googling someone in a Debian forum suggested making sure that the usb drive with the installer was partitioned using GPT, that did not work, same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Is the EFI partition indicated as being mounted at /boot/efi with flags "boot, esp" in gparted in the live environment?

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2020-06-22 00:24:00

Mike_H

I am not able to boot the live environment. It gets stucked soon after starting to boot showing a black screen with a flashing underscore.

#4 2020-06-22 00:46:10

Mike_H

I run Lubuntu live and installed Gparted. I can see that the first partition has the boot and esp flags. It also shows that it has 500MB and fat32 filesystem.

#5 2020-06-22 06:55:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

Does this means that
a) BL installed fine, apart from the bootloader
b) you installed a bootloader with another distro's live disk
and consequently the system is working now?
If so, please mark your thread [SOLVED].

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#6 2020-06-22 09:45:48

Mike_H

@ohnonot, issue is not resolved, I answered the question from DeepDayze.

I finish all the steps successfully till the bootloader install step, I did not continue after this error and I am looking for help to solve it. I did not install a bootloader with another live disk.

Last edited by Mike_H (2020-06-22 09:46:16)

#7 2020-06-23 03:08:16

Mike_H

I downloaded the official Debian live iso, and the live session does not work, but I was able to install Debian without any issue with GRUB, so this seems to be a Bunsenlabs specific issue.

Upon running Debian after I installed, I am stucked with a blank screen with a flashing underscore. Same thing that happens with the Live sessions sad

#8 2020-06-23 04:58:17

damo
....moderator....

Mike_H wrote:

... I am stucked with a blank screen with a flashing underscore....

That sounds like a graphics card/driver issue. Have you got nvidia by any chance?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#9 2020-06-23 07:58:58

rbh

Mike_H wrote:

I downloaded the official Debian live iso, and the live session does not work, but I was able to install Debian without any issue with GRUB, so this seems to be a Bunsenlabs specific issue.

Upon running Debian after I installed, I am stucked with a blank screen with a flashing underscore. Same thing that happens with the Live sessions sad

So, you can not make an working installation with Neither Debian nor Bunsenlabs Lithium?

What hardware do you have? It it the same as this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Swift_5
You have disabled Secure Boot?

What flavor of Debian did you try? StandardGnome or lighter LXQT?

Can you install Debian cli (without any X-stuff),edit sources, add sources for BunsenLab and install bunsen meatpackages? The process is described here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 524#p81524

// Regards rbh

#10 2020-06-23 14:31:49

Mike_H

damo wrote:
Mike_H wrote:

... I am stucked with a blank screen with a flashing underscore....

That sounds like a graphics card/driver issue. Have you got nvidia by any chance?

Indeed, found a post recently saying it is because Intel Iris Graphics 1065G7 is only supported starting Kernel 5.2, and Debian Buster has an older version.

Will install a new kernel version once I am able to resolve the installation issue with Grub.

#11 2020-06-23 14:53:55

Mike_H

rbh wrote:
Mike_H wrote:

So, you can not make an working installation with Neither Debian nor Bunsenlabs Lithium?

What hardware do you have? It it the same as this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Swift_5
You have disabled Secure Boot?

What flavor of Debian did you try? StandardGnome or lighter LXQT?

Can you install Debian cli (without any X-stuff),edit sources, add sources for BunsenLab and install bunsen meatpackages? The process is described here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 524#p81524

I am not able to install Bunsenlabs due to the GRUB issue. I was able to install Debian using debian-live-10.4.0-amd64-mate.iso
The Debian installation has the same issue as the live session both in Bunsenlabs and Debian (blank screen with flashing underscore). Was able to find out that it is because I have the Intel Iris Graphics 1067G7 GPU, and it is supported only in newer kernel versions. I will update the kernel once I am able to resolve the GRUB issue.

Secureboot is disabled.

#12 2020-06-23 18:10:36

rbh

You can install kernel 5.4.0 from buster-backports.

// Regards rbh

#13 2020-07-02 10:51:56

truscellino

Hi everyone,
There are a few different problems here... here are my suggestions regarding installing/booting BL on UEFI platform:
1/ BL install from plain Debian: If you can install plain Debian, then you can use the BL NetInstall script to transform your system into BunsenLabs... although the script needs some minor tweaks relating to Lithium/Buster so I think it is worth waiting for the update. (EDIT: this is similar to what is suggested by rbh in post #9, sorry I missed it earlier)
BL Netinstall script
2/ Bypassing grub: There is an elegant, but not very common way to boot linux, which is the EFI stub boot loader... in my experience, a nice way to use that, and to help with UEFI booting in general, is to install rEFInd, a very effective UEFI boot manager. You can install refind via Debian apt/apt-get etc. rEFInd will get installed on your EFI System Partition that you already have. At boot it will scan for any valid EFI target, which can be grub but also the kernel stub loader (or something on a DVD or USB stick, if present) and boot whichever you choose. So, even if grub install failed, you should be able to boot the system you have installed.
rEFInd boot manager
3/ Use a grub repair disc to try and fix your grub problems. In the past I have used this and it worked:
Rescatux / Supergrub

Last edited by truscellino (2020-07-02 12:05:51)

#14 2020-07-02 10:58:00

truscellino

Addition to my previous post... you can even boot using stub loader without installing refind... see instructions from Debian:
Debian EFI stub loader

Board footer