You are not logged in.

#401 2020-06-28 02:55:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: BunsenLabs Reviews

A Japanese post about BL that I hit by accident:
https://ameblo.jp/gokurakuhaze/entry-12573231482.html
Detailed installation instructions, and fairly positive comments, except for the tint2 GUI editor, and the memory usage, which was similar to XFCE. I don't know if there's anything we can do about that.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#402 2020-06-28 09:06:33

deanr72

johnraff wrote:

...the memory usage, which was similar to XFCE. I don't know if there's anything we can do about that.

Pretty new user here after recently installing Helium on my 8-year old work laptop. As a new user I've been reading more than my fair share of reviews of BL and openbox-based distros in general.

By far the most common 'complaint' is that BL is no longer a light distro. Indeed, my 4GB Lenovo Ideapad ground to a standstill last week when I had 3 LibreOffice docs open and then open a fourth with comments. I had to move to the desktop to complete my work.

Unfortunately, I already know that it won't be worth installing Litheum on my lappy and may have to go back to Antix with JWM instead (although I'll try Crunchbang++ first) just to keep it workable :-/

*May consider running BL alongside Q4OS KDE on my desktop.

Last edited by deanr72 (2020-06-28 09:10:42)

#403 2020-06-28 12:19:28

twoion
ほやほや

deanr72 wrote:

Unfortunately, I already know that it won't be worth installing Litheum on my lappy and may have to go back to Antix with JWM instead (although I'll try Crunchbang++ first) just to keep it workable :-/

BL doesn't try to be especially minimal or light, it tries to be usable and to allow for good productivity without too much sacrifice. LibreOffice 6.1 might use 500M per spreadsheet nowadays; there is nothing we can do about it, and at zero cost LO still has the best general-purpose compatibility in Office land. You're welcome to try TextMaker/PlanMaker, gnumeric or Calligra etc etc as replacements but I highly doubt that LO per se will use less memory when running elsewhere, in the same version, with the same documents open. Honestly, Microsoft Office 2010 on WINE is probably the best investment you can make in terms of features-per-megabyte-of-RAM, and lighter than LibreOffice is with its legacy of Sun StarOffice, a dozen programming languages including Java, endless modularity and efforts to stay compatible with MS document formats still somewhere in there.

Per aspera ad astra.

#404 2020-06-28 14:33:53

deanr72

Erm. From the welcome page of BL: BunsenLabs Linux Helium is a distribution offering a light-weight and easily customizable Openbox desktop.

Anyway, I appreciate the problem I had was with LibreOffice and sure, if someone needs a truly light-weight distro there are other places to go to - and other software to use.

I was just responding to a previous post that mentioned that RAM usage is actually quite high in general (most Plasma DEs boot at approx. 500 nowadays) and for many people that come to BunsenLabs as I did expecting a light-weight distro because it uses Openbox, they may be disappointed.

For what it's worth I really enjoy using BL Helium.

#405 2020-06-28 15:09:25

eight.bit.al

BL has definitely drifted away from the minimalism of #!.
Whether that is good or not is a matter of opinion.
Different strokes for different folks.
Try Head_on_a_Stick's ♯!

8bit

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

#406 2020-06-28 15:34:03

deanr72

eight.bit.al wrote:

Try Head_on_a_Stick's ♯!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

#407 2020-06-28 18:27:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

deanr72 wrote:

Erm. From the welcome page of BL: BunsenLabs Linux Helium is a distribution offering a light-weight and easily customizable Openbox desktop.

If by light we mean RAM usage of the desktop at idle and disc space needed for installation, we're way lighter than GNOME, and lighter than even a stripped-down KDE install.

"Light and easily customizable..." We're trying to simulate a whole desktop environment OOTB, but since our desktop doesn't have all the interdependencies of GNOME or KDE or MATE or even Xfce, you can easily remove things and get a very minimal system.

So it's a compromise aimed at getting Debian stable easily installed via a LIVE image, so you can test hardware compatibility before installation, that boots to a working desktop, and then you can customize Debian to your heart's content.

#408 2020-06-28 23:49:07

johnraff
nullglob
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

BL has definitely drifted away from the minimalism of #!.

This is often said, and I think two separate things are involved here:

1) The user interface has grown (a bit) more sophisticated/complicated. #! had pipemenus, but BL has more. BL has added some functionality over #!, but all this is done with shell scripts, not daemons as with big DEs like Gnome or KDE, so the extra memory load is zero. (Many of the changes in BL Lithium are in fact aimed at making the setup more modular and more easily customizable.) But as @eight.bit.al says, where the ideal compromise between simplicity and convenience lies is an individual choice.

2) System requirements have gone up, but I'm 95% sure that this is due to changes in the underlying Debian system, and nothing that we are adding. I'd bet that if CrunchBang were upgraded to run on Debian Buster its memory use would be similar to BL's. (How is #!++ in that respect btw?)

Last edited by johnraff (2020-06-28 23:51:57)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer