You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-12 05:33:39

m1rr0r5h4d35

Sylpheed version confusion

Hello all -

I have been away from BunsenLabs for a while, so maybe this is a dumb question, but it is still something I need an answer to. I decided to revive my old netbook, so I am running BL 32-bit. It's low powered, and I was looking for a lightweight email client, and Sylpheed seems like what I was looking for. However, it looks like the version in the repos is 3.5.1 but looks like it's up to 3.7 in the regular Debian repos. I'm sure that I am missing something, but perhaps someone can enlighten me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

"A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding."

- William Gibson

#2 2020-06-12 05:58:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Sylpheed version confusion

It depends on what version of Debian/BunsenLabs you are using:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw … ection=all

If Helium/stretch then you can enable the Debian backports and get 3.7.0

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2020-06-12 07:52:31

m1rr0r5h4d35

Thanks so much for your reply, johnraff! I actually knew that, but was screwing up the command syntax. I have it sorted now. Latest version installed, but sadly it seems like Sylpheed doesn't want to talk to Gmail properly anymore. I can send, but not receive. I believe this is not an uncommon problem with various email clients, apparently.

"A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding."

- William Gibson

#4 2020-06-12 07:55:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Yeh, sorry I can't help with that one.

#5 2020-06-12 19:22:02

m1rr0r5h4d35

No worries. I believe it actually just Google being Google. Gmail has had issues with every Email client at some point or another. Thanks for your help!

- William Gibson

#6 2020-06-13 07:32:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

m1rr0r5h4d35 wrote:

Gmail has had issues with every Email client at some point or another.

They want you to use the web UI only. Soon on Chrome only.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#7 2020-06-13 08:00:06

m1rr0r5h4d35

Wow, I hadn't heard that. Can't say that I am surprised, though. This might sound harsh, but I hate what Google is doing to technology. Anyone know of a good free email that can be used with a client?

- William Gibson

#8 2020-06-13 08:21:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

m1rr0r5h4d35 wrote:

Anyone know of a good free email that can be used with a client?

Pretty much anyone else.
Define "good".
Mine is paid.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#9 2020-06-13 09:23:59

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Gmail works OK on Thunderbird, but that's hardly the lightweight client OP wants.

#10 2020-06-13 10:14:42

m1rr0r5h4d35

I have Protonmail, and it's great. I was just hoping to fire up a client on this old war-horse and make use of email that way, as it's a little more efficient. Believe it or not, I can actually get Gmail to load in Firefox on this thing, but it ain't fun. It's still a huge improvement over a few years ago, when you couldn't actually get any browser besides Dillo and Midori to even load correctly on this thing. And Midori was very crashy-crashy.

I know, people say I should just retire this thing, but it's so much fun trying to figure out how to make it do the things that you want to do with such limited resources. Plus the nostalgia, I have been using this thing for so long now, not sure what I would do without it.

The whole thing is probably a moot point anyway. I feel like 32-bit support is drying up everywhere you look these days, so it's only a matter of time before I won't be able to use this thing at all anymore.

- William Gibson

Board footer