You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-09 06:28:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

SSD disappears

Web searching soon shows this isn't unusual at all. Try to boot and the SSD no longer exists. The BIOS knows nothing about any disk drives, and booting a live session shows nothing drivelike under /dev/* except for the usb stick with the live system on it.

This is the same Thinkpad 420s I posted about before, so of course it's understood that the SSD was suspect and due to be replaced anyway. Still I was surprised how drastic the failure was! I last used this machine about a year ago with no apparent problems, and since then it was sitting in a bag, till I tried it again yesterday...

Yes, SSDs are cheap now and I'm planning to get a 500GB Crucial MX500 for ~$80, but:

Question: before replacing the old SSD, are there any commands I can run from a live linux session to try and poke this thing back into some response? Just in case it can be magically switched on again... The utilities I know all seem to require the drive already have a /dev/something address to connect with. Any hints from dmidecode? Any other ideas?

(Anyway the order goes off to Amazon probably tomorrow.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2020-06-09 15:33:29

yoda
Website

Re: SSD disappears

FYI I have been using the  500GB Crucial MX500 for one year and loved it

Just replaced it with SAMSUNG 1 TB 860 EVO and this last  one is " a lot lot  faster".....  for your to know. Even is the specs are similar...

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#3 2020-06-10 01:59:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks yoda! That's interesting to hear, because the Samsung was also under consideration. Drives are cheap these days, and 500GB Samsung 860 EVO is only a couple of dollars more than the Crucial MX500. (1TB is much more though.) Maybe I'll get the Samsung.

#4 2020-06-10 02:19:10

DeepDayze

I have been using a 500GB SN750 NVMe SSD drive in my new desktop build and it's working great. My HP laptop has a 256GB Crucial MX500 SSD and it's been flawless. Never had any issues detecting/booting the SSD's.

If you seem to have sporadic issues  with your SSD, try cleaning out the slot SSD is plugged into and then reseat the SSD making sure the screw holding down the SSD is secure (not super tight though). I've seen sometimes RAM modules can sometimes throw errors that  seem to go away when I reseat them.

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2020-06-10 05:03:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

I have been using a 500GB SN750 NVMe SSD drive in my new desktop build and it's working great. My HP laptop has a 256GB Crucial MX500 SSD and it's been flawless.
---
If you seem to have sporadic issues  with your SSD, try cleaning out the slot SSD is plugged into and then reseat the SSD making sure the screw holding down the SSD is secure (not super tight though).

Thanks for the NVMe suggestion, but I want a 2.5in SATA format to plug into the Thinkpad. Nearly decided on the Samsung, except that the Crucial comes with a 7mm to 9.5mm adapter, which I'd otherwise have to search for and buy, so now looking at the MX500 after all.

---
The current old SSD isn't sporadic, it's just completely gone, without trace. I've tried leaving the machine in BIOS mode for a while (SSD system zone power issues suggested), done multiple reboots over the last 2 days, and took it out of its socket and firmly replaced it. (Didn't do any special cleaning though.) Just amazed by the sudden total disappearance.

I hope it is the SSD that's gone, and not some internal cable!

Board footer