You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-25 08:58:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

New version of bunsen-configs brings change to bl-user-setup

bunsen-configs 10.5-1 has just gone up to the experimental Lithium repos.

Next time you login after upgrading you'll see a series of popups about files in your $HOME that are different from the default /usr/share/bunsen/skel. Don't panic! just choose whether to overwrite each file or not (I recommend not using "Do All" or "Skip All" at this time) - backups will be kept of any overwritten files as usual.

The next time you login after that, those popups will be gone. However, if some future package upgrade brings a new version of any of the files in skel, you will be prompted about what to do for that file only.

Run 'bl-user-setup --help' for a bit more information about what it's doing.
Also there's a logfile at ~/.cache/bunsen/bl-setup/log

We hope this will be an improvement for most users, but if you hit any odd or undesirable behaviour then please post here!

Last edited by johnraff (2020-01-25 09:06:25)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2020-02-02 22:00:10

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: New version of bunsen-configs brings change to bl-user-setup

@johnraff - this is a game-changer! Thank you smile
A few days ago I had the pleasure of an automatic 'refresh'.

#3 2020-02-03 01:57:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

A couple of small tweaks will arrive soon, to make the manual running of the script a bit more interactive.

While the auto function's algorithm will stay the same, if a user declines an auto update (via the popup that they get) then they'll be able to run bl-user-setup later and say yes/no for every change, even the ones that would have gone automatically.

Also I think the '--reset' option (to go back to default configs) should not invoke '--force', so, again, when running manually the user will be prompted for every change. They'll still be able to add '--force' if they want.

I think a user who calls the script manually does so because they want to be in control of things, so we should try to respect that. And not annoy our experienced users. angel

#4 2020-06-03 19:31:55

Naik

Hey there,

though I really appreciate this dialogue, for the freedom of choice it is providing, I may  make a suggestion:
How about adding the option to review both files in question before having to make a choice.
This may be done either by simply opening them in bl-text-editor, or if it is not asked too much even having any kind of diff output highlighting the differences like:

diff -u $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css /usr/share/bunsen/skel/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css > /tmp/diffout.txt; yad --text-info --width=600 --title "Review Files" < /tmp/diffout.txt

Sometimes I wonder what the h** I have changed there, sometimes I am just curious what new is about to pop in, but I find it inconvenient to track the files down manually...

naik --greetz

Last edited by Naik (2020-06-03 20:18:38)

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#5 2020-06-03 22:59:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Hi Naik, I've been thinking the same thing every time those messages pop up. @Malm mentioned it too. Definitely want to add some kind of "diff" function. smile

#6 2020-06-04 03:31:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:

^Hi Naik, I've been thinking the same thing every time those messages pop up. @Malm mentioned it too. Definitely want to add some kind of "diff" function. smile

Great feedback, @Naik!

Board footer