You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-30 20:58:58

laanan

Advice on Alternatives to Dualbooting Windows 10 — SOLVED—

Hi folks,

My work laptop died, and instead of buying a whole new one, I am considering making a partition on my HDD of my home laptop, which right now only runs Helium.

I really hate Windows 10, my most poignant experience Of it being that my home laptop came with it, and was pretty much non-functional. Switching Windows 10 for Bunsen Labs Helium changed the laptop from one that could not even load Windows control panel in under five minutes, to the fastest, most enjoyable computer I’ve owned in over a decade (thanks, Bunsen Lab heroes!)

Does anyone know of a stripped down version or virtual machine style of Windows 10 that does not suck? Or is there another way...? I know I could just buy a Windows 10 laptop, but I expect it to be laggy, bloated, and crappy.

Any advice would be so helpful — thank you!

Last edited by laanan (2020-05-31 19:24:36)

#2 2020-05-30 21:34:41

damo
....moderator....

Re: Advice on Alternatives to Dualbooting Windows 10 — SOLVED—

Apparently there is LTSB - "Long Term Service Branch": https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/window … explained/

90-day eval iso here

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-05-30 21:50:57

DeepDayze

For virtual machine Virtualbox is easy to use and there's lots of info around how to install Windows (all flavors) as a VM under Virtualbox.

I have Windows 10 and BL dual booting and had few issues with my setup, but I may consider a VM install of Windows down the road as all I need Win10 for is Office and a few other Windows apps.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-05-30 21:52:14)

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2020-05-31 02:22:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I read long ago that it's better to install Linux after Windows, because the latter will mess with boot menus etc.

If your laptop has enough memory then a VM install would probably be a better idea than a new Windows partition. It would also let you use both simultaneously.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 2020-05-31 02:59:55

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:

I read long ago that it's better to install Linux after Windows, because the latter will mess with boot menus etc.

If your laptop has enough memory then a VM install would probably be a better idea than a new Windows partition. It would also let you use both simultaneously.

Yes that's been true for a long time that Windows should always be installed first on a blank new drive as it expects to be the first OS on the drive.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-05-31 03:00:15)

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2020-05-31 19:24:07

laanan

Thanks very much folks — I will try out the VM solution. I really do hate Windows 10. Actually, I pretty much think it all went south after Windows 3.1! Across my internet travels, I found ReactOS, which is in alpha stages right now, and which is an attempt at an open source Windows. Super cool idea. Honestly, though, BL has been the best, and I plan to stick with it!!!

#7 2020-05-31 21:38:24

rbh

DeepDayze wrote:

Yes that's been true for a long time that Windows should always be installed first on a blank new drive as it expects to be the first OS on the drive.

It does not matter in which order yo install. But, after installing windows, you need to reinstall and update grubb...

But, prior to installing windows, examine if the needed windows applikation can be installed in ReactOS, in wine/PlayonLinux or Crossover.

Edit: Or if tehere is Linuxaplications that can do the jobb.

Last edited by rbh (2020-05-31 22:17:42)

// Regards rbh

Board footer