You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-09 06:35:58

microcord

"Device or resource busy"

"Background" noise in my hovel is distinctly foreground, so today I bought a headset. The headphones work; the mic doesn't (in OBS Studio). As long as the mic is plugged in, Terminal says (again and again):

error: alsa-input: Failed to open 'front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0': Device or resource busy

Being an idiot, I neither understand this nor know what I should do about it. (Googling "front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0" brings hits that I don't understand.)

This message thread at obsproject.com seems to be about something similar, and the recommendation there is:

Properly configure a software mixer if you are using Alsa. Or use pulse audio if you dont want delve into the nitty gritty of Alsa.

TBH I'm not in the mood to delve into anything; but what should I delve into, and how?

(This week, I'm wishing that video and audio had never been invented. Or anyway not "teleconferencing". Email rules OK!)

#2 2020-04-09 06:58:33

rbh

Re: "Device or resource busy"

Yes, it is very easy to get lost in the audio djungle. I can barely find my way on my system...

Some beacons though.
In bunsenlab, pulse audio is default.
You can start the PNmixer:
  If you rightclick on the loudspeaker in tint2 choose "Volume control"
  or leftclick and choose Mixer.

When you record, you shal record not only the microfon, you shall record the internal sound so you can get the sound from the pupils too, if you record video meeting.
If you record a talk from you, record only the microfon.

In the video-meeting, you configure the app to use the mic.

Last edited by rbh (2020-04-09 07:01:29)

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-04-09 07:12:12

rbh

You are using a regular desktop computer, with audio 3,5 mm connections front and back?
You must check the motherboard manual, so you are configuring correct.

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-04-09 07:36:29

microcord

No, it's a laptop. About the cheapest laptop I could find, one or two years ago. The built-in mic and speakers work, and output to headphones works too.

rbh wrote:

If you rightclick on the loudspeaker in tint2 choose "Volume control"
  or leftclick and choose Mixer.

I'd never thought of right-clicking the loudspeaker icon. But now that I do so, for "Input Devices" ("All except monitors"), I see "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" (the microphones built into the computer) and "IPEVO V4K Analog Mono" (the mic that's built into a supplementary webcam). There's no sign of an additional microphone (the one in my headset).

#5 2020-04-09 14:13:39

rbh

microcord wrote:

No, it's a laptop. [...] I see "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" (the microphones built into the computer) and "IPEVO V4K Analog Mono" (the mic that's built into a supplementary webcam).

On my Desktop, I've set Swedish language. You are on the fourth tab from left. Named something like "Input Devices"? I also have "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo". That is the soundship on the MB I think.

You first have to go to the last tab: Configuration. Enable or Disable there first. I have disabled profile HDMI. Enabled Profile for "Built-in Audio" and "BCC950 ConferenceCam".
Then on tab "Input Devices", configure ports. When you start recording program, go to second tab "Recording".

There's no sign of an additional microphone (the one in my headset).

Is it a USB or 3,5 mm connection?

If  3,5 mm connection, you choose it on tab 4 "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo", choose port: Microfon plugged in.

If USB, you must enable it in configuration first, if it is not. Is the headset linux compatible? You can run "lsusb" in a terminal. You get ansewr like:
"Bus 003 Device 004: ID 046d:0837 Logitech, Inc. BCC950 ConferenceCam".
046d:0837 is like company:modell. Do a internet search.

You do not have acess to IT-support from your employer?

Last edited by rbh (2020-04-09 14:14:05)

// Regards rbh

#6 2020-04-10 01:25:20

microcord

rbh, many thanks for your continuing patience.

But I have to admit, my first reaction was "F*ck, you're telling me that there are headsets that aren't Linux compatible?!" (Lucky we weren't in the same room; I might have thrown something at you. Peaceful person though I am.)

Anyway: "Volume Control | Input Devices (All Except Monitors) | Built-in Audio Analog Stereo | Microphone (plugged in)"

I gently tap my fingernail against the microphone part of the headset, and the volume level shoots way over to the right. So yes, my headset mic is working! (What was wrong yesterday? Well, I don't have to use it in the past, so no worries there.)

rbh wrote:

You do not have acess to IT-support from your employer?

Ha ha ha ha.

Sorry, I mean: No. And if I did, then it would be specific to Windows/macOS/iOS/Android, and go on for page after page, of course in Japanese.

But the big news here is that, without any advance warning, construction work seems to be about to start right outside my window. (Until yesterday, it was a parking lot. Why do what they're doing today, pulling out all the parking lot hardware -- signpost, payment machine, etc -- if not in order to put up a building? Though before you put up the new building, you have to dig the foundations for it. Great!) Yes, regular construction work is "state of emergency", Tokyo style.

#7 2020-04-10 07:32:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh is clearly more on top of this topic than me, but just looking in to add a small suggestion.

tl:dr
Open VLC, go to View > Playlist, scroll down on the left, past the media & drives to "Devices" where there should be a section "Audio capture" - click it, then click the little + to show some channels available. One of those items might have a streaming URI that helps in some way. (Mine was something like pulse://alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo )

A week or so ago I wanted to record from an analogue cassette player and plugged it into the 3.5mm mic socket of an old laptop running BL Lithium.

Hours (!) of playing with pavucontrol, channels, devices, interspersed with much net searching...
The input was arriving - volume bar jumping - but I was unable to get it audible in the headphones or recordable by VLC. It should have been a trivial job...

Finally discovered somewhere the utility pacmd (comes with pulseaudio) and ran:

john@helium:~$ pacmd list-sources | grep '^[[:blank:]]*name: .*alsa_input'
### which returned:
	name: <alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>

You can give that "name" inside the angle brackets to VLC via the pulse:// protocol:

vlc pulse://alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

And, for me it worked. After a good 2/3 hours. roll
Anyway, later discovered VLC makes it easier in the "Playlist" - see above.

But this might be totally unrelated to your problem...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-04-10 07:45:58

microcord

Thank you, Nagoya!

The problem seems to have somehow fixed itself. However, this isn't satisfactory: if mic input can inexplicably disappear and later inexplicably appear, then it can again inexplicably disappear and I'll need to know what to do, and fast. I'll keep your advice and will look into it, preferably before I need it. However, not today:

johnraff wrote:

But this might be totally unrelated to your problem...

To the main one? Yes, this is truer than I could have imagined when I woke this morning. An hour or so ago I heard something being pushed into the letterbox. It was a white towel (retail price circa 100 yen), wrapped in a paper nominally apologizing for (in reality, just announcing) the inconvenience of construction work immediately outside my window and running from next Monday till mid October (estimated). If this had been last year, I'd have spent a lot of time in coffee shops, etc. This year, however.....

#9 2020-04-10 08:12:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^we've got our two masks to look forward to next week or so. smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#10 2020-04-10 09:07:18

rbh

microcord wrote:

this isn't satisfactory: if mic input can inexplicably disappear and later inexplicably appear,

As I stated before, I'm not good at multimedia. But, I've been throug the same struggle you do now, so I know that your expericence with missing input device, probably has been my own fault. It is easy to get lost. It is easy to misconfigure.

You do not need to delve into alsa, but why not take a look at the alsamixer?

Just run

$ alsamixer 

(shóuld be installed by default I think. If not install package "alsa-utils", and play around a little.

Here is a Youtube video by Chris Titus about How to Use Alsamixer and Pulseaudio to Fix Linux Sound

// Regards rbh

#11 2020-04-10 09:16:21

microcord

Oh, that's wonderful, isn't it?

I don't know about Nagoya; here in Tokyo the places that in normal times are famously crowded are no longer crowded, but everywhere else looks normal, other than that the use of masks seems to have risen from 40% to 90%. Groups of people stand around chatting to each other. I rather wish that I were in, say, New Zealand.

Board footer