You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-16 23:49:55

africanbongwater

Fixing graphical icon imperfections

Brand new user of BunsenLabs Linux here, though not new to Linux. What a beautiful distro, however I'm having issues with the way my icons are displayed in the tint2 menubar. I seem to get some graphical glitches with how my icons are displayed, has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

https://i.imgur.com/IVIxyW1.png

Notice there are these white lines around my icons.

EDIT: It seems that these graphical imperfections are fixed when restarting tint2.

EDIT2: Here is how I solved my own issue. Apologize for clogging up the forums with an ultimately useless post, so I will post my solution in hopes it may help someone else.

1.) Fixed my icon blemishes by restarting tint2 upon initial tint2 execution in the /home/user/.config/openbox/autostart (Prefrences > Openbox > edit autostart)

-------Added a tint2 restart right after the "start the tint2 session" line-----------
## Start the tint2 session (the default tint2 will run if no sessions have been set)
(sleep 2s; bl-tint2-session) &

## Fix tint2 icon blemishes by restarting tint2
(sleep 3s; bl-compositor --restart) &
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) I had a second issue where my battery icon would not show up in the tint2 bar. I removed xfce4-power-manager* and replaced with mate-power-manager and edited the same autostart config file.

------------Edited autostart section -------------------------------------------------
## Enable power management
mate-power-manager &

## Start the battery applet
#(sleep 2; fdpowermon) &
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by africanbongwater (2015-12-17 01:01:24)

#2 2015-12-17 00:56:50

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Re: Fixing graphical icon imperfections

Are you by chance running an Intel graphics card?

#3 2015-12-17 01:00:52

africanbongwater

tknomanzr wrote:

Are you by chance running an Intel graphics card?

I am running an intel graphics card. Are you going to refer to this? https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 3621#p3621 I did switch the acceleration method from SNA to UXA though I did not see improvement in the icon blemishes. Perhaps the solution I edited into my OP was switching SNA to UXA + restarting tint2?

#4 2015-12-17 03:32:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

africanbongwater wrote:

You are in fact restarting compton, the compositor, here not tint2.
If that does fix your issue, you might get the same result by adding a 'sleep' value to the line 'bl-compositor --start &' so the compositor is started after tint2 not before, something like:

(sleep 3; bl-compositor --start) &

There have long been issues between compton and tint2 and we came to the conclusion that it was generally better to start compton first, but in your case a delay might help.

On the other hand, if you really need to restart tint2 there is a BunsenLabs script which does that very thoroughly 'bl-tint2restart', available from the menu Preferences>Tint2>Restart Tint2 which could also be run from your autostart file if you really needed it

bl-tint2restart &

It would slow up your startup a couple of seconds though.

I had a second issue where my battery icon would not show up in the tint2 bar. I removed xfce4-power-manager* and replaced with mate-power-manager and edited the same autostart config file.

This is also a long-running topic. (Try some searching here or on the CrunchBang forums.) BunsenLabs at the moment comes with fdpowermon which should supply the battery icon anyway. When you run the "welcome" script 'bl-welcome' it should detect a laptop and offer to upgrade xfce4-power-manager from the BunsenLabs backports, which should fix the issue. If you had no such offer, try upgrading the bunsen-welcome package and running bl-welcome again.

Substituting mate-power-manager is also a perfectly acceptable option, though xfce4-power-manager has a few more features.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-12-18 05:08:26)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 2015-12-17 03:51:09

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Instead of restarting you could try fiddling with the sleep setting on bl-tint2-session. What I have been able to figure out is that if switching SNA and UXA doesn't work, then adjusting timing seems too. This is essentially what you are doing by restarting tint2, that is, ensuring that it starts after compton is fully loaded.

Openbox's autostart is essentially a shell script, and executes parallellized or rather it spawns new shells for the commands in the script. The sleep values are put in there in an attempt to ensure certain things are loaded prior to loading other things such as with tint2 and compton.

The default values that BunsenLabs ships with seem to work in the majority of use cases but there also seems to be outlying cases. For instance bl-tint2restart worked for me until I started running a version of tint2 compiled from tint2's git repository. Now the compositor locks up if I execute the command, which is a simple wrapper script to restart compton and tint2 in one command. I have seen this behavior before as well, and once again, it becomes necessary to fiddle with sleep settings in order to get it working again.

I have been pondering what converting a lot of this stuff over into systemd unit files would do for these small issues  because it appears that systemd would give more determinism in loading order than 1s sleep increments would give. For instance, it would be possible to tell systemd, don't load compton until tint2  is running and it would do that. 1s increments would seem to create determinism, however, modern hardware is getting crazy, given that my entire system boots in roughly 6 seconds. I have messed with all of this enough to feel like its a game of whack-a-mole getting the timings right on certain hardware setups.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-12-17 03:53:09)

#6 2015-12-17 04:17:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

...bl-tint2restart worked for me until I started running a version of tint2 compiled from tint2's git repository. Now the compositor locks up if I execute the command...

It would be nice to debug that. bl-tint2restart was meant to be fairly solid (if a bit overkill). Do you have a copy of that problematic tint2 to hand for me to try? Alternatively, could you post the output of 'bash -x bl-tint2restart'?

#7 2015-12-17 14:18:54

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Well I would like to help you out but it's working now  lol The only other info I can give you is that when it happens, it appears to lock up the display server (everything becomes unresponsive and a forced reboot is needed.) I was struggling with this same problem on a different machine with an entirely different hardware architecture, so it would be nice to understand what causes it. In any event if the problem does crop up, the easy work-around is to simply killall tint2, then killall compton, then start tint2, then compton.

The only change I had made to tint2 was to bring in a version from git and adjusted tint2.conf to enable mouse hover effects on the 4 BL launcher icons. At that point, tint2restart was definitely locking up the display. Now I can't reproduce the problem. If I happen to see it again, I will post whatever would seem to be relevant. I want to say that ov feels the problem is something to do with compton. I am now running the version out of stretch -- Package: compton (0.1~beta2-1), so that may be the difference.

#8 2015-12-18 05:06:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

In any event if the problem does crop up, the easy work-around is to simply killall tint2, then killall compton, then start tint2, then compton.

The main difference there with what bl-tint2restart does is that compton is not killed before restarting tint2, but simply restarted afterwards. So maybe it is a compton issue.

bl-tint2restart is fairly heavy-duty: if a regular kill doesn't work it hits tint2 with a KILL (9). This is because the Jessie version sometimes freezes and a regular TERM isn't always enough to kill it. Maybe I could rewrite it to kill compton too, and start it again afterwards? That wouldn't be hard.

#9 2015-12-20 04:24:33

africanbongwater

johnraff wrote:
africanbongwater wrote:

You are in fact restarting compton, the compositor, here not tint2.
If that does fix your issue, you might get the same result by adding a 'sleep' value to the line 'bl-compositor --start &' so the compositor is started after tint2 not before, something like:

(sleep 3; bl-compositor --start) &

There have long been issues between compton and tint2 and we came to the conclusion that it was generally better to start compton first, but in your case a delay might help.

On the other hand, if you really need to restart tint2 there is a BunsenLabs script which does that very thoroughly 'bl-tint2restart', available from the menu Preferences>Tint2>Restart Tint2 which could also be run from your autostart file if you really needed it

bl-tint2restart &

It would slow up your startup a couple of seconds though.

I had a second issue where my battery icon would not show up in the tint2 bar. I removed xfce4-power-manager* and replaced with mate-power-manager and edited the same autostart config file.

This is also a long-running topic. (Try some searching here or on the CrunchBang forums.) BunsenLabs at the moment comes with fdpowermon which should supply the battery icon anyway. When you run the "welcome" script 'bl-welcome' it should detect a laptop and offer to upgrade xfce4-power-manager from the BunsenLabs backports, which should fix the issue. If you had no such offer, try upgrading the bunsen-welcome package and running bl-welcome again.

Substituting mate-power-manager is also a perfectly acceptable option, though xfce4-power-manager has a few more features.

Thank you all for the input. You're absolutely right its the compositor being restarted that fixes my icon graphical issue and modified my changes to more closely follow your suggetions. Using both (sleep 3; bl-compositor --start) and bl-tint2restart & have adequately solved my issue. I don't mind the extra second or two for a beautiful desktop everytime.

#10 2015-12-20 07:42:25

twoion
ほやほや

africanbongwater wrote:

Thank you all for the input. You're absolutely right its the compositor being restarted that fixes my icon graphical issue and modified my changes to more closely follow your suggetions. Using both (sleep 3; bl-compositor --start) and bl-tint2restart & have adequately solved my issue. I don't mind the extra second or two for a beautiful desktop everytime.

If it is indeed a problem with compton, you can install the latest upstream version from our backports repository and see if things improve. Just follow the instructions here, run

apt-get -t jessie-backports install compton

and restart compton.

There are also many options in compton which can significantly improve compatibility, performance and eliminate bugs with certain graphics hardware. The wiki I linked contains a FAQ and many configuration suggestions. Compton is configured by editing .compton.conf in your home directory. We had a couple of compton threads in the past; just search the forums and/or the #! archive.

Per aspera ad astra.

Board footer