You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-12 16:16:32

nandi

best backup method

I need your advice guys.

I have a livingroom desktop spent a lot of time reading online tutorials to configure all the software on it. First just tried to save bookmarks to the web browser so i can replicate all the settings, if the hardware breaks.
After i tought thats no good
what if thoose website got deleted so i copied the text information of the config files to Cherrytree software so i can read hierarchical way the order need to fill in on a new system. Tried to make a software list what is installed as well.

All my important data is on 2 usb hard drives but no actual image file of the system.
I dont know if i would make an image of my current system would that be a solution after a hardware failure? 
I have 2 windows partition on that machine, would i need to create the same size and number of partition on a new computer?

What is the best way to preserve the current configuration and installed programs in your opinion guys?

#2 2022-05-12 17:09:33

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: best backup method

If you're going to use Linux software, & there's Windows partitions involved, my reluctant recommendation would be CloneZilla.  But keep something around you can use to fix a potentially broken Windows install as well if the hardware changed much.

Since there are Windows partitions/installs involved, I can't recommend the Windows software Macrium Reflect highly enough.  The free version is adequate in most cases. The rescue media will look after recreating the partition layout if you have to use it to restore an image, & has some flexibility if you need to re-size things during the restore as well.  The paid version also includes functionality to deal with drivers needed to boot Windows possibly being different on new/replacement hardware.   Things like changing from SATA to NVME drives.

Sorting that can be done from something like BartPE, and I *think* SystemRescueCD but it's a pain loading & editing offline registry hives & manually injecting or removing drivers.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2022-05-13 08:34:22

nandi

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I have no experience with imaging Linux partitions. Would clonezilla recreate grub2 and ntldr or only the partition structure?

#4 2022-05-13 09:10:51

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

CloneZilla basically recreates everything all occupied sectors including boot loaders, partition tables, mbr/gpt. For file systems it doesn't understand it just copies everything in the partition, empty space and all..

CloneZilla must be run from a bootable USB or DVD in order to backup or restore.

Reflect also does, & can use intelligent copy for linux ext filesystems, other linux files systems it handles by copying every sector in the partition, used or not.

Reflect can be used from a bootable CD/DVD or USB to backup and or restore, and can also do the actual backup live while Windows is running.

On restore with either to a blank drive after hardware failure, it's basically restore & done. CloneZilla requires the new drive is the same size or larger, within certain constraints Reflect can handle smaller drives too, which can be useful when going from mechanical to solid state storage.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer