You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-24 13:14:01

janvds

[~SOLVED] Unmet dependecies

Lithium took some effort to install. But as I have read somewhere this is not unusual compared to Helium. But that sort of opinion is out of my league as a interested newbie. It succeeded in the end and that's what counts.

But I now encountered a new challenge.

The ISO I downloaded contains Lithium and within Lithium the option to install prefered programs. I tried to install Libre Office Writer and Firefox. That fails.

I get messages on 'unmet dependecies'. I tried to repair them uaing Synaptic. That one returns the message that they were repaired and OK. I'll try to submit a screenshot (literally) here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz1mry5ult8ee … 8.jpg?dl=0

I begin to think it's wise to switch to the Helium-version?!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by janvds (2022-02-28 14:11:02)

#2 2022-02-24 13:52:36

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: [~SOLVED] Unmet dependecies

The latest version is Beryllium.  There should be a beta version released in a few days, but you can certainly get beryllium now by following the directions here:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7356

#3 2022-02-24 18:47:22

rbh

janvds wrote:

Lithium took some effort to install. But as I have read somewhere this is not unusual compared to Helium.

No! Debian and BL is easy to install. If you encounter errors, something has gone wrong. As I wrote before: "But, I would recommend you to do a reinstallation. When correct done, you shall not have any errors..."

Lithium is still dependent of having internet connection. If that fails, you will get errors. Your sources.list will not be complete.
To se what sources.list you have, in terminal give command

inxi -r

Compare that with listing in post Sources - Lithium sources.list and backports details
If your sources is incomplete, you can try to edit them and update -> upgrade (reda on command apt.

It succeeded in the end and that's what counts.

What counts, is to have a fully functional system...

I get messages on 'unmet dependecies'. I tried to repair them uaing Synaptic. That one returns the message that they were repaired and OK. I'll try to submit a screenshot (literally) here:

Esiest to repair dependencies is command

sudo apt --fix-missing install

or the shorter "apt -f install"

Default terminal in BL i386 is urxvt. You can configure that terminal to support copy and paste text: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … with-urxvt. You can also install terminal that out of the box support copy/paste, like lxterminal. It is easier to copy error txt than make screenshot.

I begin to think it's wise to switch to the Helium-version?!

What is wise with using oldold debian?

If you reinstall BL, use cable.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2022-02-24 19:13:49

janvds

(Sorry. I am not acquinted with the use of this board).

I tried the fixing command a few times already. Just a few minutes ago again. It says all is ok (i.e. no adjustments made). I will try to do the sources comparison. Never done that one before. The problem might be a corrupted first attempt to install Lithium. However, I have followed up your first suggestion and did a re-install. There was wired internet connection then. I wonder whether the re-install really did a full re-install or used already installed elements. If the latter is the case I can imagine corrupted files are still present. I an just guessing.

The reason for the real screen shot is rather simple. I cannot mail etc from the Eeepc, so I have to transfer information to my regular machine (Dell wink ) to use this board for instance.

And the reason to go backwards to Helium is that that release might be a better solution for my old Eeepc then the newest releases. True? Not sure.

Fingers crossed, I am going to do the sources comparison.

Jan

#5 2022-02-24 19:47:27

rbh

janvds wrote:

I tried the fixing command a few times already. Just a few minutes ago again. It says all is ok (i.e. no adjustments made).

You do not get message anymore, of 'unmet dependecies'?

I will try to do the sources comparison. Never done that one before. The problem might be a corrupted first attempt to install Lithium. However, I have followed up your first suggestion and did a re-install. There was wired internet connection then. I wonder whether the re-install really did a full re-install or used already installed elements.

When reinstalling, you usualley reformat old partitions. If you have /home and / on single partition and want to keep /home, you have to delete essential (nearly all) directories under /. If you don't delete /etc, Debian installer will protest.

The reason for the real screen shot is rather simple. I cannot mail etc from the Eeepc, so I have to transfer information to my regular machine (Dell wink ) to use this board for instance.

You mean you can not start browser because of limited resources? Have you tried midori or opera? I have used them on old Thinkpad with only 500MB RAM.
But, transfering text from terminal should not be harder than transfering image och screen.

And the reason to go backwards to Helium is that that release might be a better solution for my old Eeepc then the newest releases. True? Not sure.

Default Helium installation draws slightly less resources than Lithium. But, you can disable some services you do not need. I have an Lithium box that idle only consumed about 100 MB RAM...

I am going to do the sources comparison.

If you have reinstalled, and now don't encounter any errors, you do not need to do that. But, do it although, to learn your system...

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#6 2022-02-25 11:37:23

janvds

janvds wrote:

I tried the fixing command a few times already. Just a few minutes ago again. It says all is ok (i.e. no adjustments made).

--Exactly. BUT when i try to install for instance Writer the install process stops and says 'unmet dependecies'. That is on het screen shot I posted earlier (i hope).

I will try to do the sources comparison. Never done that one before. The problem might be a corrupted first attempt to install Lithium. However, I have followed up your first suggestion and did a re-install. There was wired internet connection then. I wonder whether the re-install really did a full re-install or used already installed elements.

When reinstalling, you usualley reformat old partitions. If you have /home and / on single partition and want to keep /home, you have to delete essential (nearly all) directories under /. If you don't delete /etc, Debian installer will protest.

--OK. Then that part should have gone OK. Lithium ís running, but installing additional software hicks up.

You mean you can not start browser because of limited resources? Have you tried midori or opera? I have used them on old Thinkpad with only 500MB RAM.
But, transfering text from terminal should not be harder than transfering image och screen.

--No. I can't install additional (other, more familiar) programs.

Default Helium installation draws slightly less resources than Lithium. But, you can disable some services you do not need. I have an Lithium box that idle only consumed about 100 MB RAM...

__ I don't think it's a problem of resources. I can't get my finger on it what the exact problem is.

Jan

#7 2022-02-25 15:18:02

rbh

rbh wrote:
janvds wrote:

--Exactly. BUT when i try to install for instance Writer the install process stops and says 'unmet dependecies'. That is on het screen shot I posted earlier (i hope).

So, you still get that error. It does not popup by itself, it popups if there is 'unmet dependecies', when you try to install.

Lithium ís running, but installing additional software hicks up.

You have not run the BL-Wellcome script, that pops up the first time you login or can be run in terminal, or gmrun (Alt+F2)? That script, first of all checks that you have internet-connection. Then it asks for permission to update and upgrade your software.
If you have wrong sources or dont have updated information about your software sources, you can not upgrade or install new packages.

So, what you must do, open a terminal and run commands:

ping debian.org # to make sure your network is functional
inxi -r  # shows configured APT data sources. Compare your output with what you should have. Edit if necessary.
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install lxterminal

When running the commands in terminal, the system will tell you of problems.

I can't install additional (other, more familiar) programs.

to configure your terminal urxvt to use Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V, to copy paste and use x-clipboard:

Open file ~/.Xresources
Add following text:

! Restore Ctrl+Shift+(c|v)
URxvt.keysym.Shift-Control-V: eval:paste_clipboard
URxvt.keysym.Shift-Control-C: eval:selection_to_clipboard
URxvt.iso14755: false
URxvt.iso14755_52: false

Once you have that just merge settings with:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

Now, it is simple to copy terminal output to editor or directly in browsers Forum post.

I can't get my finger on it what the exact problem is.

So, as i proposed earlier, learn your system"!
You have good readings on the menu under "Help and resouces".
Examine your system according to advices.
Answer questions about your system as full as possible.
Search the forum or internet for system errors.

Last edited by rbh (2022-02-26 11:41:58)

// Regards rbh

#8 2022-02-25 17:42:21

sleekmason
zoom
Website

@rbh Saw your code and realized I didn't have it.

After messing around a bit though, I found that urxvt uses ctrl+alt+v, and ctrl+alt+c natively here without adding the fix code. No change with it.

This, in case somebody else runs into the same issue.

#9 2022-02-25 18:58:35

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

After messing around a bit though, I found that urxvt uses ctrl+alt+v, and ctrl+alt+c natively here without adding the fix code. No change with it.

Without the code I can't copy-paste to-from other x-application. I can then only  only copy-paste within the terminal...

// Regards rbh

#10 2022-02-25 19:59:07

sleekmason
zoom
Website

rbh wrote:

Without the code I can't copy-paste to-from other x-application. I can then only  only copy-paste within the terminal...

Ah!  Got it. Thank you for the explanation.  Sorry for the diversion:)

#11 2022-02-26 13:00:35

janvds

rbh wrote:

You have not run the BL-Wellcome script, that pops up the first time you login or can be run in terminal, or gmrun (Alt+F2)? That script, first of all checks that you have internet-connection. Then it asks for permission to update and upgrade your software.
If you have wrong sources or dont have updated information about your software sources, you can not upgrade or install new packages.

inxi -r  # shows configured APT data sources. Compare your output with what you should have. Edit if necessary.
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

--I'll check this later (have to do some shopping now). I remember the script testing internet (wifi) connection, but the update/upgrade permissions I am not sure.

#12 2022-02-26 14:18:36

rbh

Moderator note:

From the forum Rules:

Quoting long posts in their entirety is considered poor forum etiquette. 
Please edit the "quotes" to the points of interest you are referring to.

When you answer a post with pressing button "Quote", the whole post is quoted.
Delete superfluous text. Add your comment after closing quote tag: [ /quote ]

If you break up the quote with your comments, add closing tag [ /quote ] before your commanet and add opening quote tag [ quote ], before next quote begins.

Last edited by rbh (2022-02-26 16:51:24)

// Regards rbh

#13 2022-02-26 20:59:51

janvds

rbh wrote:

Moderator note:

From the forum Rules:

Quoting long posts in their entirety is considered poor forum etiquette. 
Please edit the "quotes" to the points of interest you are referring to.

You're fully right. I was already bothered with this myself. But as I had the more pressing actual questions it slipped my mind to check (and I am using the Internet since as far back as the non-graphical interfaces which means I prefer sober non-graphical wink ).

It's quite a lot to learn as this 'world' differs significantly from the ones I 'know' (MacOS and nowadays Windows).

Jan

#14 2022-02-26 21:12:29

janvds

rbh wrote:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Pinging confirms what was known: there is an internet connection.
Inxi gave me 4 uri's. I think they are the correct ones.
update/upgrade worked and updated some packages. However, there seems to be 1 package that should be able to be upgraded: mpv/buster-backports 1:0.33.0 i386 (upgradable from: 0.29.1-1).

But when trying to install lxterminal there was a failure. In Dutch the message is something like: "the package is not available, although another package is referring to it. Possibly the package is missing, outdated, or exclusively available from another source". And the Error "package 'lxterminal' has no candidate for installation'.

And Writer is still giving back "missing dependecies" when i try to install.

Jan

#15 2022-02-27 00:22:31

rbh

janvds wrote:

When working with Linux, never jump to premature conclusions or guess.

You ought to have
In /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main non-free contrib
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free

In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list: 
deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/ lithium main
deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/ buster-backports main

update/upgrade worked and updated some packages. However, there seems to be 1 package that should be able to be upgraded: mpv/buster-backports 1:0.33.0 i386 (upgradable from: 0.29.1-1).

No, when upgrading/installing from backports, you have to tell system to upgrade/install from backports. You can do it in synaptics. Search for and mark mpv. In the menu, choose "Package", Choose "Force Version (Ctrl+E). Or in terminal

sudo apt install mpv/buster-backports

Did you notice how many packages that was upgraded? Should been around 55...

But when trying to install lxterminal there was a failure.
In Dutch the message is something like:

From the Help guide in my footer:
"prepend LC_ALL=C to commands so the output will be in English.".

"the package is not available, although another package is referring to it. [...]

If your sources is correct and you have updated, you should be able to install it from Debians repository.
What is output of command

apt policy lxterminal

You can go to https://packages.debian.org/buster/lxterminal/download, and download it to disk. Install with command "dpkg -i lxterminal_0.3.2-1_i386.deb"

And Writer is still giving back "missing dependecies" when i try to install.

Did you you try to install in terminal with command:

sudo apt install libreoffice-writer

Did you try the command:

sudo apt -f install

Did you run the BL-welcome script? Did yo successfully install anything with the script?

I tried to install libreoffice-writer on an i386 vm. I could not install from the menu, A terminal popped up and disapeared. But running the install command in terminal was no problems. Tested some other installs from the menu, they stayed up...

// Regards rbh

#16 2022-02-27 11:03:51

janvds

rbh wrote:
janvds wrote:

--I'm going to try all of this (I hope, as for me all of this is terra incognita). Do you think that it is possible to install Lithium on an old Eeepc (RAM: 1 GB (995Mb?), SDD: 145Gb).? The ISO is on 16GB USB stick (the Eeepc has no cd/dvd-player available).

Jan

#17 2022-02-27 11:29:25

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

janvds wrote:

Do you think that it is possible to install Lithium on an old Eeepc (RAM: 1 GB (995Mb?), SDD: 145Gb).? The ISO is on 16GB USB stick (the Eeepc has no cd/dvd-player available).

I installed it on an ancient 32 bit Intel Atom powered Acer Aspire One clone which your specs suggest that is, using an iso written to a USB stick & had no issues at all.  I didn't enable backports though.

I'm wondering if the install has some odd problem. What's the output of:

LC_ALL=C apt-cache policy

Use the Code link above the reply or quick reply box & paste the output.  We might be able to tell something from it.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2022-02-27 11:32:50)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#18 2022-02-27 11:33:06

janvds

rbh wrote:
janvds wrote:

You ought to have
In /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main non-free contrib
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free

In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list: 
deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/ lithium main
deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/ buster-backports main

--Didn't work. First and last URI were missing altogether. I added them, as root. Also, 'my' URI's said https, whilst yours use http. Changed that too.

I am going back to the beginning and will download ISO again, burn it to USB and start all over (I hope). My hunch (OK. Never trust a hunch. Tou're right) says something i didn't notice went wrong at the start of the process and corrupted everything.

Jan

#19 2022-02-27 11:36:21

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

janvds wrote:

I am going back to the beginning and will download ISO again, burn it to USB and start all over (I hope). My hunch (OK. Never trust a hunch. Tou're right) says something i didn't notice went wrong at the start of the process and corrupted everything.

Jan

Shouldn't need to go that far, get your sources right & it should sort itself out. Though as an approach it ought to work.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#20 2022-02-27 14:19:52

rbh

janvds wrote:

--Didn't work. First and last URI were missing altogether.

If you are missing the Debian main repo, 3/4 of all packages is unavailable.

Also, 'my' URI's said https, whilst yours use http.

I mirror Debian repos to local server. I has not configured to fetch repos with https.
Official Debian and BL repos is available with both http and https. I think that today, it does not matter which you use, but that might change. Use https.

I am going back to the beginning and will download ISO again,

Why repeat that step, which probably will not change anything?
But, if you have not done it, verify the content of the lithium.iso. Howto do that, se instructions under heading "Verifying the integrity of your download" on page https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html

My hunch (OK. Never trust a hunch.

You can trust it enough to choose what to start examine... But never let a hunch be sole source.

Tou're right) says something i didn't notice went wrong at the start of the process and corrupted everything.

Note down any error or other unexpected events. Check logs if not everything is ok after installation.

// Regards rbh

Board footer