You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-11 19:17:01

jimjamz

Blacklist of /home files that *cannot* be migrated across BL releases

As a BunsenLabs user,
I want to migrate my /home/${USER} directory to a later BunsenLabs release
In order to save time manually creating/copying these files (potentially from scratch)

Do we have (and maintain) a blacklist of files located in the /home/${USER} that can/should not be migrated across BL releases?
When I do a (fresh install) upgrade from Lithium to Beryllium, I would like to know what I can and cannot copy across from the aforementioned directory.
I am worried about overwriting bunsenlabs config files with older versions, post-install.
For example, anything in .config/bunsen/ that cannot be copied across?

While we're on the topic, what about /usr ?

Last edited by jimjamz (2022-01-11 19:18:16)

#2 2022-01-12 02:46:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Blacklist of /home files that *cannot* be migrated across BL releases

I don't think it's that simple unfortunately. The exact thing you're worried about - overwriting new defaults - is likely to happen.

I usually do the install then compare the new $HOME/.config/ (or the whole $HOME in fact) with the old one and merge in any of my personal configs that I want to keep, along with other tweaks like symlinks. Any files that don't exist in the new $HOME, just copy them in. Some config files will likely be obsolete, like for apps you've uninstalled.

I find the GTK app meld very useful for this. You can compare two whole directory trees like 'meld /path/to/old/.config ~/.config' and merge in changes quite easily. If you try to compare two huge directory trees, though, it might take a long time to display the result.

Avoid running apps until you've done the merge, because they might be able to pick up your configs and update them to their new syntax if they've had a big upgrade.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2022-01-12 09:35:02

rbh

Re: Blacklist of /home files that *cannot* be migrated across BL releases

jimjamz wrote:

When I do a (fresh install) upgrade from Lithium to Beryllium, I would like to know what I can and cannot copy across from the aforementioned directory.
I am worried about overwriting bunsenlabs config files with older versions, post-install.
For example, anything in .config/bunsen/ that cannot be copied across?

While we're on the topic, what about /usr ?

If you reuse your old $HOME when upgrading, you can after upgrade run command

$ bl-user-setup --reset --verbose

--reset
    Restore all files to the default state in /usr/share/bunsen/skel,
    but ask user before overwriting files.
    (Add --force or --yes to skip confirmations.)
-v --verbose
    Send more information to log file and terminal.
Logfile is ~/.cache/bunsen/bl-setup/log

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Board footer