You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-20 19:03:39

b197rt

Manually set up a Beryllium install or wait for ISO?

Should I go ahead and set up a Beryllium install / make an ISO, or wait for the official ISO release?  Getting some new machines in and don't wish to always be upgrading from the 4.x kernel tongue

#2 2021-11-21 01:13:21

portaro

Re: Manually set up a Beryllium install or wait for ISO?

Bunsenlabs use a non-free firmware kernel based on Debian non-free firmware Kernel.

The most important thing to use the method update to upgrade is the need of use a kernel that can be upgraded between versions of different kernels stage.

Because of this isn 't easy to do a answer to your question.

You can install Lithium as base now and in future you can try a upgrade dist but if any firware implementation faill maybe a problem occur.
But at same time you have the option to try this and in some cases without any problem.

You also can test the beryllium and install it and maintain the system on read update cicle constantly to receive updates and in the time of release and stable cicle of Berillyum you only need change the sources list to pass to the definitive ISO support.

In both cases all methods to install external repositories or firmwares can generate problems.

If you use a kernel GNU or Libre (Freedo) you allways can do update and upgrade dist without any problem but in all of other cases the problems can occur, isn 't a problem of GNU/Linux the problem is with the firwares or custom kernel options of the final user.

Take a look on the topic in next days maybe users with better ideas or experience can help you to choose a definitive method.

#3 2021-11-21 01:38:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Go for the "experimental" manual install I'd say. When the Beryllium isos come out, all you'll have to do is edit your apt sources to point to the official repository.
Guide here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7356

Right now it will look just like Lithium because the new graphics are not yet in place, but most things work OK, and you'll indeed have the 5.10.0 kernel. You'll get package upgrades as they come in via the usual apt-get update/upgrade route.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4 2021-11-21 05:30:31

b197rt

Thank you portaro and johnraff for your suggestions.  I will try these tomorrow as I have a spare machine.  To Johnraff, as a sidenote: Are you saying Beryllium is planned to have a new default look?

#5 2021-11-21 11:36:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Yes we usually ship a new wallpaper, GTK theme and Openbox theme with a new release, along with colour tweaks elsewhere (tint2, terminals etc) to match. Previous themes will still be available though.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#6 2021-11-22 19:30:41

Kathadris

Ran across Bunsenlabs a few months ago. Had issues with Lithium and hardware.  Old kernel. Ran across the Beryllium setup yesterday. Installed on top of Debian 11 clean. Gotta say I am impressed. Had some issues with my Nvidia Optimus setup and external hdmi monitor but have that all worked out now. Cpu and memory load are extremely low and my fans never spin up. Just want to say thanks to the team that made this.

Board footer