You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-05 09:04:11

rbh

Bug with x-terminal-emulator?

A 32 bit vm installed this summer, with lithium1-iso.

Command x-terminal-emulator launched urxvt.
Program galternatives showed lxterminal to be default terminal.
Command "sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator", shows urxvt to be default terminal.
Choosed lxterminal instead. Now x-terminal-emulator started lxterminal.

Last 32 bit lithium box, just updated, no changes on.
Galternatives shows lxterminal to be default terminal,
"sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator" urxvt, to be default terminal.
Command "x-terminal-emulator", launches urxvt.

I think, that I observedthis a couple ofmonths ago, but did not follow up on it.
Is it just my systems or is i a generell bug? if a bug, most importantnot to have it in Beryllium also.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#2 2021-11-05 12:37:02

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: Bug with x-terminal-emulator?

If both are installed at build time without specifying which one in /etc/alternatives, urxvt takes the lead for x-terminal-emulator. Not sure if there is some other reason for BL though.

#3 2021-11-06 07:58:23

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

If both are installed at build time without specifying which one in /etc/alternatives, urxvt takes the lead for x-terminal-emulator. Not sure if there is some other reason for BL though.

I don't catch you...

Pgrogram galternatives is "A front-end to the update-alternatives". Both galternatives and command "sudo update-alternatives --config [...]" manages symlinks in /etc/alternatives.

On my last 32 bit Lithiumbox, galternatives, shows lxterminal to be default terminal:
https://imgur.com/yLJhoUa.png

and "sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator" shows urxvt is default:
https://imgur.com/UzlJNRW.png

and symlink /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator, points to /usr/bin/urxvt.

But, You reminded me that I had installed lxterminal. In Release Notes (post #3), none terminal is listed for32 bit BL.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2021-11-06 11:06:19

sleekmason
zoom
Website

All I am saying is that while making a debian build, if both are added to the install list with no specification in /etc/alternatives, then x-terminal-emulator points to urxvt as the primary. No idea why.  Might just be my builds due to other packages.

#5 2021-11-06 11:45:36

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

All I am saying is that while making a debian build, if both are added to the install list with no specification in /etc/alternatives, then x-terminal-emulator points to urxvt as the primary.

But BL Lithium iso has only urxvt installed.

The previuos "last 32 bit lithium box",was installed with Lithium-2 iso. I just now tested a fresh install with Lithium 3-iso and installed lxterminal. Same as above. Galternatives, shows lxterminal as default terminal, while /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator points to urxvt.

// Regards rbh

#6 2021-11-06 12:18:17

sleekmason
zoom
Website

rbh wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

All I am saying is that while making a debian build, if both are added to the install list with no specification in /etc/alternatives, then x-terminal-emulator points to urxvt as the primary.

But BL Lithium iso has only urxvt installed.

The previuos "last 32 bit lithium box",was installed with Lithium-2 iso. I just now tested a fresh install with Lithium 3-iso and installed lxterminal. Same as above. Galternatives, shows lxterminal as default terminal, while /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator points to urxvt.

Gotcha, . .   I take it the command 'sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator' shows differently than galternatives as well? or just the file itself?  yeah, that is a bit strange.

#7 2021-11-06 13:29:17

rbh

sleekmason wrote:

I take it the command 'sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator' shows differently than galternatives as well?

Yes.

yeah, that is a bit strange.

I installed gedit. File /etc/alternatives/bl-text-editor points to mousepad but galternative now show gedit...

// Regards rbh

#8 2021-11-06 17:38:37

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Trying to get a grip on this . .

When installing gedit in Lithium, gedit provides "gnome-text-editor" with a priority of 50, making a whole new alternative, (gnome-text-editor) and places a new entry in Thunar, "text-editor".

In galternatives, BL-text-editor shows gedit now as an option, but not default after the install with a priority of 30. Geany has a priority of 40, and is still default for bl-text-editor.

So, in Thunar, "text editor" has been added to the menu and opens gedit, and "bl-text-editor" still opens Geany.

Meaning the bl-text-editor acts independently in this case, only providing the default for items specifically called by bl-text-editor like from the thunar menu.

Files that have already been set to "open with" whatever editor, are not changed simply by the installation of the program. (In this case.)

None of this explains the terminal issue though. If I install xfce4-terminal, it takes over with a priority of 40, with no manual intervention necessary.

rbh wrote:

So which one opens from 'x-terminal-emulator' ran in a terminal without explicitly changing update-alternatives?

Simply having a file already present at build time for x-terminal-emulator, did not interfere with xfce4-terminal becoming default on install, so doubt the existing /etc/alternatives file is the issue unless the priority is set super high for urxvt?.

#9 2021-11-06 22:46:06

rbh

Usually, last installed terminal becomes default.
When installing new terminal(s) in Debian, lastly you will get info about what terminal update-alternatives will provide. That info is not shown in BL.

Note also, that it is only in 32 bit BL, I have seen that galternatives shows wrong default!
When launching any of the symlinks in /etc/alternatives/, the launched application is allways the one that the link is pointing to. Regardeless of what galternatives show.

// Regards rbh

Board footer