You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-08 21:00:19

hhh
Meep!
Website

Suddenly no prompt for a password when editing root files

Been messing with GUI file managers. Nautilus and Thunar all of a sudden are letting me edit files in /etc/apt without pkexec firing up. I haven't tried any other root directories. No clue what's going on, I have gnome-keyring and polkit installed.

#2 2021-10-08 23:46:13

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: Suddenly no prompt for a password when editing root files

hhh wrote:

Been messing with GUI file managers. ......

What were you actually doing when messing with these file managers?

Did you happen to change the permissions or ownership of the files in question?

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2021-10-09 01:04:08

hhh
Meep!
Website

I mean, just purging and installing. Let me check another root folder...

Crap, I can edit /etc/default/grub without a password as well. Time to strip the system of packages and rebuild it.

#4 2021-10-09 02:36:37

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Now sure how a file manager can bork permissions unless you somehow managed to change the properties of a folder and all its contents...

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2021-10-09 21:19:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

I reinstalled Beryllium via the Bullseye non-free netinstall. Not marking this solved since I didn't solve anything, but this thread can die in peace now.

#6 2021-10-10 00:41:23

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Start using those GUI file managers again as before and see what happens. You may have found a major bug where one of them runs as root or something.

Last edited by PackRat (2021-10-10 00:42:22)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#7 2021-10-10 01:46:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

Eh, it ain't broke at the moment using Thunar, so I'm not in any hurry to fix it.

Actually, it's pretty perfect ATM...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 02#p117902

#8 2021-10-10 02:19:01

DeepDayze

PackRat wrote:

Start using those GUI file managers again as before and see what happens. You may have found a major bug where one of them runs as root or something.

Think PCManFM doesn't have the problem AFAICT. If hhh can reproduce what he was doing with a particular file manager maybe he can discover which one has a bug when run as root and what type of operation triggers such a bug. This can be a good basis for a bug report if any of the popular file managers exhibit such a bug when run as root.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-10-10 02:21:23)

Real Men Use Linux

#9 2021-10-10 10:12:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Maybe... running one of these GUI file managers as root is causing the files/directories opened to have their permissions changed? That would indeed be a major bug, even if running GUI apps as root is something to avoid if possible. (BL does enable Thunar & Geany via pkexec though...)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#10 2021-10-11 02:24:53

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:

Maybe... running one of these GUI file managers as root is causing the files/directories opened to have their permissions changed? That would indeed be a major bug, even if running GUI apps as root is something to avoid if possible. (BL does enable Thunar & Geany via pkexec though...)

Wonder if pkexec'ing these file managers would be a safer way to open a file manager as root without triggering bugs such as what hhh came across.

Real Men Use Linux

#11 2021-10-11 05:42:29

ohnonot
...again

I'd have tried some more serious troubleshooting before reinstalling.

Some thoughts:

• Opening the filemanager as root will give root privileges to any further actions performed from within that.

• The according Thunar action uses pkexec - is it possible that the password is cached so that subsequent requests do not require the entering of the password (hhh mentions gnome-keyring which, afaik, can be tweaked to do exactly that)?

• Maybe hhh styled their root account GTK so that it doesn't differ from normal user anymore?

• Both Thunar and Nautilus can run as a daemon; is it possible that somehow accidentally the default shortcut opens the (daemonised) root filemanager?

I can see that all of this is unlikely on a vanilla BL install, but hhh has been playing with additional packages & desktop environments.

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-10-11 05:45:50)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#12 2021-10-11 19:46:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

I can see that all of this is unlikely on a vanilla BL install, but hhh has been playing with additional packages & desktop environments.

This in a nutshell. First, the system has been running since lithium, and who knows what I did with that desktop in the two and a half years before upgrading to Bullseye. Then, flatpack, oomox, windscribe... repo fuckery. Plus, as ohnonot noted, I've done desktop tryouts, removals, finally Cinnamon, then I couldn't get lxpanel or xfce4-panel to work in the BL session (I should have reinstalled right there), then it was messing with jackd and ardour and pipewire before it was ready, etc... Bugs may be involved, but we'd have never figured them out by troubleshooting that system.

I'm running lean, mean and clean again, so that's good.

#13 2021-10-11 21:22:26

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

This in a nutshell. First, the system has been running since lithium, and who knows what I did with that desktop in the two and a half years before upgrading to Bullseye. Then, flatpack, oomox, windscribe... repo fuckery. Plus, as ohnonot noted, I've done desktop tryouts, removals, finally Cinnamon, then I couldn't get lxpanel or xfce4-panel to work in the BL session (I should have reinstalled right there), then it was messing with jackd and ardour and pipewire before it was ready, etc... Bugs may be involved, but we'd have never figured them out by troubleshooting that system.

I'm running lean, mean and clean again, so that's good.

I do realize over time cruft can build up  in even old Linux installs, just like in Windows.  Perhaps some of that cruft brought along bugs that happened to bite you this time. Sometimes it's a good thing to do a refresh install to clean things up.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer