You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-30 00:46:40

laanan

Hotspot not Discoverable

Hi folks,

I am trying to share my ethernet connection over wifi, and so I created a wifi hotspot via the shell using the nmcli tool. The connection shows up in the GUI, and there is a file for the connection profile in /etc with all the right parameters. Bash gave me the response:

Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/17)

when I set up the connection. So, basically, everything looks right to me, and yet I cannot find the signal with other devices (a couple of different iphones). The SSID does not show up automatically, and when I try to connect to it as if it were "hidden," neither phone can find it.

If anyone has any further troubleshooting/set up recommendations, that would be great!

Best,

Matt

#2 2021-09-30 04:13:22

laanan

Re: Hotspot not Discoverable

Here's what I found after further messing around:

When the connection is up, the GUI shows the network, PoopSalad (in a moment of poor taste but genuine frustration, I named it thus), is connected. On my iPhone, the SSID is discoverable. I originally thought the GUI meant that the computer was accidentally connecting to itself, which is why I disconnected from it, which is why my iPhone was unable to find it. I know how idiotic this sounds.

Anyway, unfortunately, the iPhone will still not connect, complaining that the password is incorrect. I checked the file for the connection in /etc, which looks like this:

[connection]
id=HS
uuid=6da177866-6752-45c9-a57a-131679d1cd94
type=wifi
interface-name=wlp2s0
permissions=
timestamp=1632974004

[wifi]
band=bg
mac-address=98:45:61:F4:B3:43
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=ap
seen-bssids=48:45:61:F4:B3:43;
ssid=PoopSalad

[wifi-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=Inappropriatepassword!

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=shared

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
ip6-privacy=0
method=shared

Also, if I set the connection to 'no security,' my iphone still thinks it needs a password and won't let me connect without one.

I'll fire up my Pine Phone (*sigh*, is it ever going to be day phone functional?) and see if it has the same issue, but, shoot, isn't this weird?

Board footer