You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-27 07:54:56

garynewport

Text only

Hi

I have a Fortran program that models the evolution of stars that on my Windows system had running, at times, at under 5 minutes for a million years (simulated). However, the variance in the execution time ranges from this up to 2 hours.

I installed BunsenLabs, as the university system is Linux, it runs more consistently (but slower) on my MacBook Air and I wanted to have an OS with fewer overheads.

However, the model is still taking a long time to run (60 minutes on one run) and I want to run it for a billion years (simulated).

BunsenLabs boots into a graphical interface, despite selecting Text Version on installation.

I'm assuming that the GUI isn't using too many resources up but I would ideally like to get down to the absolute minimum behind-the-scenes execution loss.

I will also be exploring the code to see where I can make savings there but is my desire to reduce extra processing steps...

• Reasonable

• Achievable

• Worth doing?

#2 2021-09-27 08:45:08

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: Text only

a. I guess you would need a benchmark example that does the same amount of computing every single time and compare gui/nogui times? I would expect that the difference would be low (unless the nongui version would somehow avoid swap and gui version would not < due to the ram usage).

b. p.s. One can move to console (meta + f1 or ctrl + alt + f1) and kill login manager from there

sudo service lightdm stop # should also stop X

which releases about 100 megs of ram (on my system).

c. Generally speaking why not setup something like debian base system only that can be ssh-ed onto and use that as your computing brick?

d. Can the code be parallelized, use multiple bricks?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-09-27 09:02:33)

#3 2021-09-27 16:08:10

garynewport

I got BunsenLabs due to being told it is super-fast; I’m just trying to gain every last second I can. smile

I’m going to go through the code itself and see if it can be parallelised at all; or if I can save time (and space) through re-organising.

#4 2021-09-27 16:52:53

jr2

Hi garynewport. I can't advise on your specific use case, but re BL text mode:

1) The installer's "text" option refers to the install GUI, not the installed system.

2) Once installed, BL has a CLI boot option at the initial Grub menu which doesn't start up the graphical interface. It might save you some CPU cycles.

normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

#5 2021-09-27 16:54:36

sleekmason
zoom
Website

garynewport wrote:

Hi

I have a Fortran program that models the evolution of stars that on my Windows system had running, at times, at under 5 minutes for a million years (simulated). However, the variance in the execution time ranges from this up to 2 hours.

I installed BunsenLabs, as the university system is Linux, it runs more consistently (but slower) on my MacBook Air and I wanted to have an OS with fewer overheads.

However, the model is still taking a long time to run (60 minutes on one run) and I want to run it for a billion years (simulated).

BunsenLabs boots into a graphical interface, despite selecting Text Version on installation.

I'm assuming that the GUI isn't using too many resources up but I would ideally like to get down to the absolute minimum behind-the-scenes execution loss.

I will also be exploring the code to see where I can make savings there but is my desire to reduce extra processing steps...

• Reasonable

• Achievable

• Worth doing?

Howdy and welcome:)

The text installer is only a "text" based version of the installer itself, not a text based operating system.

Using pre-built debian net install image may be the way to go to save space/time:  https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Fortunately, you can also create literally any type of system you want using Live-build. https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/

Follow the examples to get started: https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live … tutorial-1

Another item of note is your kernel settings. This may be more important than anything else as far as timer settings, latency, and model specific settings.

There are numerous guides online (including here in the Bunsenlab Forum), on building your own kernel.  normally these days, It just doesn't matter much, but for what you are wanting, it may matter quite a bit:)
Liquorix makes an alternative kernel that may fit your needs: https://liquorix.net/

I suppose all of this is time consuming in some way or the other, but once done, your machine should fly!

#6 2021-10-19 23:15:34

becker_11
Website

I can't help but think any/all gains made by optimising the distro could be outstripped by simply upgrading your machine. Adding ram, upgrading the CPU, using an ssd, if it's a write heavy process perhaps looking at striped raid as that may offer a benefit in terms of speed. Just my two cents

Board footer