You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-02 08:56:51

Dayan
Member
From: תל־אביב-יפו
Registered: 2021-08-28
Posts: 7

Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

I have a few things I can't seem to figure out. I think it's issues with permissions and users.

1) I can't change the cursor theme. I managed to change it for X11. So that means I have the redglass cursor theme on the login screen and in windows that are opened with su root. Otherwise it's a different theme. Somehow, I don't know how, I managed to change the regular user theme to a black theme. I kept trying different ways to do it. Logged out and in and rebooted dozens of times. Still don't know how to change it and save it really. It's not the theme I want. I searched for solutions, but it seems this is a bug?

2) I installed a gui installed package search application and it changed my default terminal. I would like to set it back to kitty terminal or the default bunsenlabs lxterminal, but it doesn't save the settings when I try to change it. Again is this a permissions bug?

3) I have a LUKS encrypted hard drive. I just can't write files in it or modify files in it without opening drive in Thunar as root. Shouldn't I be able to write files to it after just entering my decrypt passphrase? It's annoying having to enter 3 passwords just to access the encrypted drive. Passphrase to decrypt,  sudo password to mount the drive, then root password to write files to it or modify files in it.

Any help would be appreciated. I realize I should probably be more knowledgeable in linux, but I chose this distro because it's light on ram with a window manager and it's based on Debian.

Thank you!

Offline

#2 2021-09-02 12:07:57

dottomato
Member
Registered: 2021-09-02
Posts: 7
Website

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

Maybe you set the application themeing for the root user not for normal user?


You gotta train like hell until the point where your hair falls out. That’s the only way to become truly strong.

Offline

#3 2021-09-02 13:25:26

rbh
Moderator
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 1,182

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

Dayan wrote:

I have a few things I can't seem to figure out. I think it's issues with permissions and users.

More probably handling error.

1) I can't change the cursor theme. I managed to change it for X11. So that means I have the redglass cursor theme on the login screen and in windows that are opened with su root. Otherwise it's a different theme. Somehow, I don't know how, I managed to change the regular user theme to a black theme.

It is a big advantage to keeptrack of what you are changing, if you need to revert or ask for help... As @domatto wrote, you have changed theme for user root.

I kept trying different ways to do it. Logged out and in and rebooted dozens of times. Still don't know how to change it and save it really. It's not the theme I want. I searched for solutions, but it seems this is a bug?

No, theme handling is not buggy on BL Lithium (if you are running Lithium/Buster).
You can use two gui program:
Jgmenu => Preferences => Appearance, starts LXAppeance, command "lxappearance".
Jgmenu => Preferences => Openbox => WM Preferences, starts ObConf, command "obconf".

The two programs, change different aspects of the desktop.
You can choose one ofavailible installed themes, if you do not like the default. Set the same theme both in obconf and lxappearance. Some aspects of the theme can be changed with
the gui programs.
You can also download and install gtk-themes or edit config-files (the last, needs some extensive reading before embarking that quest.

If you mess up, you can easy restore default settings with a BL skript; command:

$ bl-user-setup --reset

It restores BL user-config files from /usr/share/bunsen/skel.

2) I installed a gui installed package search application and it changed my default terminal.

You arevery sparsewith information. Wich package search application? I dont belive that any  package search application should change your default terminal. Package xfce4-appfinder, to search localy installed packages, doesnot. Nor program for searching availablepackages/ programs, like synaptig or gnome-software, does that.

I would like to set it back to kitty terminal or the default bunsenlabs lxterminal, but it doesn't save the settings when I try to change it. Again is this a permissions bug?

How have you triedto set default terminal? you can use the gui- "galternatives", from the menu System =>  Edit Debian Alternatives (setting for all users).

3) I have a LUKS encrypted hard drive. I just can't write files in it or modify files in it without opening drive in Thunar as root. Shouldn't I be able to write files to it after just entering my decrypt passphrase? It's annoying having to enter 3 passwords just to access the encrypted drive. Passphrase to decrypt,  sudo password to mount the drive, then root password to write files to it or modify files in it.

I have not used encruptedpartitions, but if I was in your situation, I would have backed upp all files, removed encryption, created asmall encrypted partition, just to work on when time is and learn how to manage the encryption.

A usual external drives partitions, can be set upp in /etc/fstab, with UUID, instead of device name and user right to mount. Should work for an encrypted one too. You do not mention anything about your fstab.


// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Offline

#4 2021-09-02 17:21:46

rbh
Moderator
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 1,182

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

I think I missunderstodd. You were not talking about GTK-theme?
"Cursor", is generally dot in an terminal, to show where input is coming, when pressing a key.

If you change to lxterminal, rightklick in the terminal and chosse "Settings", to change the appearance of the terminal.


// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Offline

#5 2021-09-04 18:08:25

Dayan
Member
From: תל־אביב-יפו
Registered: 2021-08-28
Posts: 7

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

rbh wrote:

No, theme handling is not buggy on BL Lithium (if you are running Lithium/Buster).
You can use two gui program:
Jgmenu => Preferences => Appearance, starts LXAppeance, command "lxappearance".
Jgmenu => Preferences => Openbox => WM Preferences, starts ObConf, command "obconf".

I tried both of those methods. Sure, themes change okay, but the terminal and cursors are the issue.

rbh wrote:

If you mess up, you can easy restore default settings with a BL skript; command:

$ bl-user-setup --reset

It restores BL user-config files from /usr/share/bunsen/skel.

I did that and default terminal is still xterm and the cursor issue remains.

https://i.imgur.com/Afa6hy2.png

rbh wrote:

You arevery sparsewith information. Wich package search application? I dont belive that any  package search application should change your default terminal.

This one did change the default terminal. It's called Debian Package Search ver. 2.7.10

https://i.imgur.com/sY2UvMP.png

rbh wrote:

How have you triedto set default terminal? you can use the gui- "galternatives", from the menu System =>  Edit Debian Alternatives (setting for all users).

Yes, I've tried that.

https://i.imgur.com/G2JW9p0.png

These aren't big deals, my system still functions perfectly well to get work done. Just minor nuisances. We can close this thread.

Offline

#6 2021-09-04 18:09:58

Dayan
Member
From: תל־אביב-יפו
Registered: 2021-08-28
Posts: 7

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

rbh wrote:

I think I missunderstodd. You were not talking about GTK-theme?
"Cursor", is generally dot in an terminal, to show where input is coming, when pressing a key.

If you change to lxterminal, rightklick in the terminal and chosse "Settings", to change the appearance of the terminal.

Sorry, I meant that if the mouse cursor is in the terminal window it is a different cursor theme. For example, in a terminal window the mouse cursor is white. On the desktop with the menu and wallpaper the cursor is black, and in windows opened with root and on the login screen the cursor is red.

Offline

#7 2021-09-05 07:25:37

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,701

Re: Unable to change cursor theme; Can't set default terminal;

Dayan wrote:
rbh wrote:

I think I missunderstodd. You were not talking about GTK-theme?
"Cursor", is generally dot in an terminal, to show where input is coming, when pressing a key.

If you change to lxterminal, rightklick in the terminal and chosse "Settings", to change the appearance of the terminal.

Sorry, I meant that if the mouse cursor is in the terminal window it is a different cursor theme. For example, in a terminal window the mouse cursor is white. On the desktop with the menu and wallpaper the cursor is black, and in windows opened with root and on the login screen the cursor is red.

In a terminal the cursor takes the foreground colour which is set, in whichever terminal you are using.

On your desktop the cursor is set in Preferences > Appearance > Mouse Cursor.

If you run lxappearance as root then the root user uses those settings. If you don't use sudo to run it then the $USER preferences are set.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB