You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-27 17:08:21

Peregrino69

grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install - how to get around?

Installation (physical system) is failing with "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package' failed to install into /target/." Googling suggests this is due to failing Internet connection.

Installer complained about missing Atheros FW files. The chipset is QCA6174. Following instructions in the Debian WikiI downloaded the non-free firmware package and unpacked it. I verified that the 2 atheros .deb files indeed contain a directory matching the name of the chipset. So, I copied the unpacked "firmware"-directory (sans unpacked atheros directories) to the root of an USB stick and offered it to the installer. No go, it still can't find the FW.

I tried omitting the network portion entirely during the installation. Still no help. There's no way to shut down the WiFi completely except for disconnecting it from the mobo - not ideal.

I bumped into the same issue with VMs, got around it by simply swapping from EFI to legacy on the VM manager settings. Not ideal - the system won't boot at all; and I will need to open it and disconnect the internal drives before I can even get back into the BIOS to change back to EFI boot.

I know I could get around it by simply installing Ubuntu again, but don't really want to waste space on it as I never use it anyway.

Anyone have an idea how the heck do I get forward from here?

#2 2021-08-27 17:44:06

rbh

Re: grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install - how to get around?

When problem with installation over wifi, install on cable.
Either built in nic or an usb nic with RJ45-port, known to be supported by debian.

Usb wifi, known to be supported by debian, is also a good choise.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-08-27 18:10:11

twoion
一期一会

According to https://askubuntu.com/a/891904 this message means that grub is unable to place its executable on the EFI system partition and/or register itself with the UEFI firmware.

- does the system have secure boot disabled?
- can you confirm that the disk partition table created by the Debian installer is GPT, and that in a live session, /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is present?
- can you confirm that the Debian installer has created an EFI system partition? If not, start a live session and create the disk structure including the ESP before running the installer.

I would just point you to the arch linux install guide which describes exactly how to make grub2 install itself on EFI systems, but I think the installer is too automated for that.

As a last resort, I guess it would be possible to install Debian, let the installer fail at installing grub2, THEN launching a live session and chrooting the fresh install, manually installing grub2 after setting up the ESP mount.

#4 2021-08-27 18:29:16

Peregrino69

rbh wrote:

When problem with installation over wifi, install on cable.
Either built in nic or an usb nic with RJ45-port, known to be supported by debian.

Usb wifi, known to be supported by debian, is also a good choise.

Unfortunately I've got no wired connectivity at all.

I've got 2 old USB WiFi adapters; 3Com CRUSBN275 (Atheros AR9170) and TP-Link WN823N (Realtek RTL8192EU). Neither of them is even detected during the installation. The installer only seems to detect the internal NICs, both of which are on the PCI bus.

A funny thing is that I got BL installed when I already had a working multiboot system with Win10 and Ubuntu. I never installed the requested Atheros drivers, but BL was quite happily connecting to the WiFi network. Any idea why? Some change in the EFI partition caused by Ubuntu installation?

#5 2021-08-27 19:11:11

Peregrino69

twoion wrote:

- does the system have secure boot disabled?

Yes.

twoion wrote:

- can you confirm that the disk partition table created by the Debian installer is GPT, and that in a live session, /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is present?

parted -l shows that the partition table is GPT. Live session has /sys/firmware/efi/ containing 97 files.

twoion wrote:

- can you confirm that the Debian installer has created an EFI system partition?

Win10 installation created a 100MB EFI partition, which shows as the only bootable partition on the disk.

twoion wrote:

As a last resort, I guess it would be possible to install Debian, let the installer fail at installing grub2, THEN launching a live session and chrooting the fresh install, manually installing grub2 after setting up the ESP mount.

Reminds me of the good ole days installing Slackware 1.3... big_smile

#6 2021-08-27 19:46:11

rbh

Peregrino69 wrote:

Unfortunately I've got no wired connectivity at all.

Can you get cable access somewhere else? A library, Internet Cafe or a friend?
Else, 25-30$ for a linux compatible wifi dongle is a good investment.

A funny thing is that I got BL installed when I already had a working multiboot system with Win10 and Ubuntu. I never installed the requested Atheros drivers, but BL was quite happily connecting to the WiFi network. Any idea why?

Nope. But, does wifi work still work in Ubuntu live session?
Does a Debian installation works?

Some change in the EFI partition caused by Ubuntu installation?

Sometimes in the past, I and other has BL installation error with grub when internet connection was faulty...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2021-08-27 20:30:27

Peregrino69

rbh wrote:

Can you get cable access somewhere else? A library, Internet Cafe or a friend?

At a friend's place, maybe. Not at this hour tho'. As I've just resurrected 3 old laptops, I'm trying to configure one of them to route between LAN and WiFi smile

rbh wrote:

Nope. But, does wifi work still work in Ubuntu live session?
Does a Debian installation works?

I've not tried, and Ubuntu's out of the system, and haven't tried installing full Debian yet.

rbh wrote:

Sometimes in the past, I and other has BL installation error with grub when internet connection was faulty...

During installations I'm using my phone as a hotspot. BL Live is just now running a speedtest gives me stable 40Mb/s down / 30Mb/s up, iperf3 averages also around 40 Mbps. I don't think the problem's there.

EDIT

Also just now trying again... at "Enter hostname" went to shell (CTRL-ALT-F2). No problems pinging public IPs like 8.8.8.8, or DNS names, including deb.debian.org.

Last edited by Peregrino69 (2021-08-27 20:43:16)

#8 2021-08-28 10:27:27

Peregrino69

I had a sneaking suspicion that the problem might be caused by the size of the EFI partition Win 10 installation creates, 100MB. I spent some time yestereve trying to find a way to resize the partition, but that seems to be a no-go; it's bordered by 16kb(?) slice which can't be moved or resized. At least I didn't find. away.

Tried again this morning with lithium 2.1 on a Blank SSD. To ensure EFI partition gets done I partitioned the drive manually creating a 1GB ESP... by gum installation's not guna fail cuz ESP is too small! 

Checked during installation in tty2, a multitude of targets pinged successfully with both IP addresses and DNS names (including deb.debian.org), even with the Atheros FW complaints. Still installer couldn't find deb.debian.org. And the installation ended with the same installation error.

Checked syslog in tty4, found this:

Aug 28 07:01:37 in-target: grub-common is already the newest version (2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2).
Aug 28 07:01:37 in-target: 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Aug 28 07:01:37 grub-installer: info: Identified partition label for /dev/nvme0n1p2: gpt
Aug 28 07:01:37 grub-installer: dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove grub which isn't installed
Aug 28 07:01:37 grub-installer: dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove grub-legacy which isn't installed
Aug 28 07:01:37 grub-installer: dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove grub-pc-bin which isn't installed
Aug 28 07:01:37 grub-installer: dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove grub-pc which isn't installed
Aug 28 07:01:37 /bin/in-target: warning: /target/etc/mtab won't be updated since it is a symlink.
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Reading package lists...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: 
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Building dependency tree...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Reading state information...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Package grub-efi-amd64 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: is only available from another source
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: However the following packages replace it:
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target:   grub2-common grub-common grub-pc
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: E
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: : Package 'grub-efi-amd64' has no installation candidate
Aug 28 07:01:38 grub-installer: info: Additionally installing shim-signed to go with grub-efi-amd64
Aug 28 07:01:38 /bin/in-target: warning: /target/etc/mtab won't be updated since it is a symlink.
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Reading package lists...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Building dependency tree...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: Reading state information...
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: E
Aug 28 07:01:38 in-target: : Unable to locate package shim-signed
Aug 28 07:01:38 grub-installer: info: Calling 'apt-install grub-efi-amd64' failed

Not sure why it was even looking for shim-signed. Secure boot is anyway disabled.

Just to be sure I downloaded a new ISO - which in the meantime has gone to version 3. Created a new USB, run on the same HW, formatting the previously created partitions. Lo and behold I got the BL installed successfully!!! However "No bootable device" until I went to BIOS, enabled EFI and chose a trusted EFI file. 

Booting into the OS found that there's no WiFi adapter...

I just now cleared the SSD and reinstalled Lithium 3 just with defaults, with Secure boot enabled. Looks like my sneaking suspicion might be confirmed - BL created > 500MB ESP. Just as I'm writing this the new installation was successfully finished... "No bootable device".

Let's keep testing.

#9 2021-08-28 11:40:49

twoion
一期一会

Peregrino69 wrote:

I had a sneaking suspicion that the problem might be caused by the size of the EFI partition Win 10 installation creates, 100MB. I spent some time yestereve trying to find a way to resize the partition, but that seems to be a no-go; it's bordered by 16kb(?) slice which can't be moved or resized. At least I didn't find. away.

Yes, this can happen. You can delete ... part of the content Windows put there apparently but of course at your own risk and at the risk of Windows "fixing" itself. Of course, the best way would be to create a large ESP before installing Windows.

It seems with a formatting trick you could get up to a 300M ESP created by Windows itself: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_b … _too_small

#10 2021-08-28 18:29:07

Peregrino69

twoion wrote:

You can delete ... part of the content Windows

Moonlighting as a fugu chef, maybe? big_smile

I think the best option is just simply partitioning the drive beforehand when I know I'm going to dual boot. Or at minimum creating the ESP.

This box is anyhoo now running. Next I think I'm going to start looking into Damo's suggestion of using virt-manager to run Windows and see how much latency that'll cause on the audio interfaces. Fingers crossed smile

Board footer