You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-24 11:26:19

ab90

I need your help ;-/ BOOTING MY NEW MOTHERBOARD

Hey there, i found some components and sticked them together.
So far, everything is compatible and so on; its just that im missing a POWER ON - Button.
Its the mainboard called Asrock N68C-S.
I looked for some youtube video on how to power a mainboard with a screwdriver....
This Asrock doesnt have two bare pins that i could short-circuit.
Instead it has this blue little apparatus with 1-bare pin next to it.

When i pressed the main power button of the power supply, not only the fan of the power supply unit started working, also the fans of the graphics card on the mainboard started working...
I did not get a video signal and also no beep-sound that could tell me it actually booted.

Then i used the ingenious screwdriver to first touch the little blue apparatus which did nothing, then i touched the 1-bare pin next to it and a little spark lit shortly, this resulted in a total shut down of the all the fans that were rotating until then.

I tried to re-start by powering  off/on the power supply again, but nothing moved.... after 10 minutes i tried it again and the fans are moving again :-)   ...well, i dont wanna do the 'screwdriver trick' again, as long as i dont know how to do it properly.... the mainboard actually has more than one of those little blue apparatus...
im also having some insulated copper cables...
Maybe i could build my own power on/off button ????

Many greetings and thanks in advance for helping me <3 :-)

EDIT: the manual is here https://download.asrock.com/Manual/N68C-S.pdf

Last edited by ab90 (2021-08-24 11:55:50)

"Be humble, be cool, dance techno-style to heavy metal music."

#2 2021-08-24 11:56:28

twoion
一期一会

Re: I need your help ;-/ BOOTING MY NEW MOTHERBOARD

Seems like a very old board, no? Can you circle which pin you bridged/touch using the screwdriver? https://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/n68c-s%20ucc/

As I haven't touched a physical tower motherboard in 15 years I have no idea how these are supposed to be wired up, but if you sparked it chances are you could have also produced a quantity of magic smoke. MAybe somebody who actually built a PC over the past decade could chime in how the pins on this board work smile

#3 2021-08-24 12:14:10

eight.bit.al

Some documentation:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/nvidia/n68c-s%20ucc/
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/N68C-S%20UCC.pdf

The header to use in red: (right-click image - open in new tab)

N68C-S-UCCL1.th.png

Pin lable.  PWRBTN - power button:

header pins

Cut two short pieces of insulated wire. Just long enough to grab, but short enough not to fall over and touch anything on the mobo. Red is for the power button and blue is for the reset button, which will be handy for testing. Strip one end of the wire of it's insulation, about 1/4 inch, and twist the strands together.  Push the un-stripped end of the wire over the pin on the mobo. Touch the stripped ends together, momentarily to start/reset the mobo. Touch and hold, about 4 seconds to force power off, or pull the plug on the power supply.

asrock-header-pins.png

Helps to tie the two wires together before cutting to size and stripping the one end.
Also be careful of static electricity. Always touch some large piece of metal, table, chair, etc before touching the mobo. If you have carpeted floors, double important. If nothing else, touch the metal of the connectors where you plug in the video connector, USB, etc.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-24 12:46:08)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#4 2021-08-24 12:59:00

eight.bit.al

ab90 wrote:

When i pressed the main power button of the power supply, not only the fan of the power supply unit started working, also the fans of the graphics card on the mainboard started working...
I did not get a video signal and also no beep-sound that could tell me it actually booted.]

Usually memory. Swap slots. 

8bit

#5 2021-08-24 15:36:02

rbh

Do you know if the MB functioned before the short circuit?...

As @eight.bit.al wrote, no post-error beeps usually means wrong memory. Have you made certain they follow Asrocks specifikations?

I've had pc, that had pwr-on button from other computer (also build from collected parts). Had to make a hole in the chassis for the button.
You ought to be able to find a pwr-button in an second hand shop or flea-market.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#6 2021-08-25 13:49:29

ab90

Hey, i could start the PC now. Thank you. I simply misunderstood one different component as the power button...
(I dont know how to either upload a pic here, or link me painting in an internet pic...; then i could show which unit i tipped with the screwdriver. [it is called #1 in the manual{the spark happened by tipping the bare 1-pin next to the blue covered 2-pin apparatus}])
The tip about momentary is also great, it indeed means i can build the button/knob myself.

Next problem^^, this morning the PC ddnt boot,there was some CMOS failure going on and i replaced the CR2036 battery then.... now my SSD is shown as a 2MB Disk.... it used to be a 128GB SSD ^^".
I could obviously not boot from it or declare it to be my hard disk again for a new install of an OS as it would state the space on a 2MB disk is not enough... Got it smashed somehow, or are just some declarations wrong now?

Many greetings

Last edited by ab90 (2021-08-25 13:57:19)

#7 2021-08-25 19:37:01

eight.bit.al

ab90 wrote:

Hey, i could start the PC now. Thank you. I simply misunderstood one different component as the power button...

That jumper sets 5V or 5VSB (stand by) for USB or PS2 allowing the system to wake on input from keyboard/ mouse.

(I dont know how to either upload a pic here, or link me painting in an internet pic.

Here's a free image upload site. https://scrot.cloud/

Next problem^^, this morning the PC ddnt boot,there was some CMOS failure going on and i replaced the CR2036 battery then.

Many greetings

See page 20 of the pdf. Clear CMOS jumper.

After that, look for a Reload Default Settings in the BIOS. Reboot and set the BIOS the way you want. (date/time, etc)

Let us know how it goes.

8bit

#8 2021-08-26 11:24:15

ab90

Hi,
this CMOS thing is not really an object anymore, as it got automatically set after i booted an installation medium after i exchanged the battery...

The only actual problem thats left is the shrinked SSD. For some reason the SSD was not bootable after the battery incident, and now i wonder, if i can resurrect that SSD somehow [post #6]

Last edited by ab90 (2021-08-26 11:24:46)

#9 2021-08-29 09:02:35

ab90

..should i ask somewhere else?

Board footer