You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-14 09:32:27

Peregrino69

Multiboot advice (partitioning, file systems etc.)

I'm planning to trash my system (yet again tongue) and start over. Win10 will be the first one, I can restore it from the backup I created after the initial installation. Hopefully. Next I plan to restore Bunsen and have that manage grub (instead of current Ubuntu), other Linux flavors will follow, probably along with a BSD. Yeah, VMs are a thing but...

The system boots from a 1TB M.2 SSD, and has an additional 1TB SSD for data, where Win standard dirs reside (currently split 50/50 NTFS/EXT4). From what I've been reading it seems that the easiest way to share the data between the OS:s would be just formatting the entire data drive as NTFS, mounting it under *NIX and just linking the standard directories to the already existing ones. Any reason not to?

What'd be a reasonable size for the / of the *NIX installations?

Another idea I've been toying with is formatting part of the secondary drive as EXT4 and putting all the /homes there (a folder / distro), directories still on the NTFS data drive. I can deal with Debian pretty OK by now, but I'm expecting that I will need to reinstall a new OS a few times before I get a hang of it, and I'd rather not redo all configurations all over again every time. Pitfalls here?

What'd be reasonable sizes for the / and /home partitions in this case? Currently / uses 32GB of 200GB, of which /home is 23GB, of which 20GB is eaten by VMs and Downloads, which all would go to the data drive anyway.

Still another idea I've been toying with since I first booted the live environment. The system has 64GB of RAM - might it be possible to load Bunsen entirely to the RAM? SSDs are fast, but RAM's faster still; and can sustain more i/o than SSD. But really it's just for fun smile

Is it possible? If, how would I go about doing that? What are the things to consider?

Last edited by Peregrino69 (2021-08-14 17:26:22)

#2 2021-08-14 14:06:26

eight.bit.al

Re: Multiboot advice (partitioning, file systems etc.)

It doesn't have to be one drive for data and one drive for the OS(s).

Put W10 on one SSD - (100GB). The remainder for data; NTFS
Change the BIOS/EFI to boot from the second SSD.
Install *nix on second SSD - (50GB), and have it's GRUB boot both OS(s). Also partitions for the other distros and the remainder for data on the second SSD.

That leaves W10 boot loader intact. If you bork the *nix SSD playing around, you have the option to point the BIOS/EFI to boot from the W10 SSD.

Also: Mount Linux Partitions Ext4, Ext3, Ext2 to Windows 10, 8, 7
https://thelinuxcode.com/mount-linux-pa … ws-10-8-7/
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways … m-windows/

There's many combinations possible. Eager to see how this ends up.

8bit

Edit: Just don't make it too complicated, i.e mapping /home to other places. Different *nix should not share a /home partition. Some distros will reformat any/all swap partitions for it's own use, keep a close eye when installing. Give a separate swap for each *nix OS. Trust me on this, learned the hard way, and swap partitions are small anyway.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-14 14:41:11)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#3 2021-08-14 15:11:59

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

eight.bit.al wrote:

Install *nix on second SSD - (50GB), and have it's GRUB boot both OS(s). Also partitions for the other distros and the remainder for data on the second SSD.

That leaves W10 boot loader intact. If you bork the *nix SSD playing around, you have the option to point the BIOS/EFI to boot from the W10 SSD.

Also: Mount Linux Partitions Ext4, Ext3, Ext2 to Windows 10, 8, 7
https://thelinuxcode.com/mount-linux-pa … ws-10-8-7/
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways … m-windows/

There's many combinations possible. Eager to see how this ends up.

8bit

Edit: Just don't make it too complicated, i.e mapping /home to other places. Different *nix should not share a /home partition. Some distros will reformat any/all swap partitions for it's own use, keep a close eye when installing. Give a separate swap for each *nix OS. Trust me on this, learned the hard way, and swap partitions are small anyway.

This gives me an idea when I rebuild my system. Keep W10/W11 on the main SSD all by itself and use a 2nd one for BL and booting this setup via Grub2 should be easy as you can tell Grub which OS is on which disk. In addition this will allow you to keep Windows as it is, especially if you bought a computer off the shelf, set it up the way you like and don't really want to mess around with it.

Indeed as there are filesystem drivers out there for mounting Linux/BSD partitions and treating them like regular drives in Windows, that makes file transfers between OS's easy. I am sure Microsoft in the future could move to allow Windows users to mount their Linux partitions without needing to install other drivers perhaps via WSL2 or a feature addon that just needs to be enabled via Apps and Features within the settings app in W10/11.

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2021-08-14 16:09:35

Peregrino69

eight.bit.al wrote:

Yes it does! big_smile I'm an old fart - ever since the days of DOS my system and applications have always been separated from data. Preferably physically, but at minimum by partitions.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Install Linux on second SSD - (50GB), and have it's GRUB boot both OS(s). Also partitions for the other distros and the remainder for data on the second SSD.

That seems to me overtly complicated. The whole point is to have one set of data available on all OS:s with minimum fuss. Also that way when a drive physically fails, I'm losing both the OS(s) and the data stored on that drive. Of course everything's being diligently backed up, but just remapping the data back to the OS is a lot faster than restoring it from backup. When the OS drive goes bang, I can even boot into a live environment and all the data is still available.

eight.bit.al wrote:

That leaves W10 boot loader intact. If you bork the Linux SSD playing around, you have the option to point the BIOS/EFI to boot from the W10 SSD.

The UEFI BIOS is storing a backup copy of the EFI partition by itself. I redo that every time I get an OS running. Don't know, it might even be able to hold multiple copies. I also copied the contents on an external USB drive, and will repeat that every time I get a new OS running. And I'm cloning the entire OS drive bitwise to an external HDD. So I don't think that's a huge problem smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Thanks. Didn't know that. Might come handy at some point, but I still think using just one dedicated data drive is simpler. Configured to NTFS so it's directly accessible from both Win and *NIX OS:s. Unless there is a compelling reason not to. AFAIK ntfs-3g is reliable enough. 

eight.bit.al wrote:

Edit: Just don't make it too complicated, i.e mapping /home to other places. Different *nix should not share a /home partition.

Yap. Hence the idea of having a part of the secondary drive formatted as (ext4). In the root of that drive a separate folder for each OS, mounted as /home:

nvme0---p1 (NTFS) Windows 
      |-p2 (ext4) BL      
      |-p3 (ext4) Fedora  
      |-p4 (ext4) SuSE    
      -- etc.

sda---1 (ext4)---/BL (/home)
    |          |-/Fedora (/home)
    |          |-/SuSE (/home)
    |          |-etc.
    |
    --2 (NTFS)---~/Documents (symlinks)
               |-~/Downloads
               |-~/Music
               |-~/Pictures
               |-~/Video
               --~/etc.

The directories would be just symlinks pointing to the NTFS partition. Oh yeah, that is a bit complicated to set up, but technically should work, no? smile

I'm just toying with that idea. At this point all /home:s are going on the OS root partition. The main question is really whether I can expect problems if I store the data on NTFS and share it between the OS:s; and how much should I reserve for each OS:s root partition. Right now Windows takes 250GB and I'm planning 200(ish) for each *NIX. Win needs it, but 200GB seems a bit excessive for the *NIX OS:s.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Some distros will reformat any/all swap partitions for it's own use, keep a close eye when installing. Give a separate swap for each *nix OS. Trust me on this, learned the hard way, and swap partitions are small anyway.

Oki that I didn't know. As all partition managers identify swap just as "Linux swap" I've always thought it's shareable. I don't actually expect to be running out of RAM any time soon, but I've still reserved 16GB for swapping. I assume at least Debian-based distros can share the same swap partition?

eight.bit.al wrote:

Eager to see how this ends up.

You and me both, friend, you and me both big_smile Gonna be a long journey, tho smile

#5 2021-08-14 20:39:51

DeepDayze

Think you can tell Windows to use another partition for the pagefile, especially if your main disk is an SSD. I'd put the Windows page file on a 2nd device that's a regular hard disk and in its own partition.

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2021-08-14 20:59:56

rbh

DeepDayze wrote:

Think you can tell Windows to use another partition for the pagefile, especially if your main disk is an SSD. I'd put the Windows page file on a 2nd device that's a regular hard disk and in its own partition.

With 64 GB RAM, I would't configure swap...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2021-08-14 21:17:10

eight.bit.al

Your first post sayz there are two SSDs, the second sayz one SSD and one HD.
That makes a big difference in how I would alocate their usage.

Peregrino69 wrote:

The system boots from a 1TB M.2 SSD, and has an additional 1TB SSD for data

And from the second post.

Peregrino69 wrote:
nvme0---p1 (NTFS) Windows <snip>

sda---1 (ext4)---/BL (/home) <snip>

I would utilize the SSD more than in my first suggestion. smile

Peregrino69 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Yes it does! big_smile

No. It doesn't. big_smile It may be your preference, but it doesn't. smile

Peregrino69 wrote:

I'm an old fart - ever since the days of DOS my system and applications have always been separated from data. Preferably physically, but at minimum by partitions.

It's a good thing for the Amish they invented their religion after the wheel was invented.

Peregrino69 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Install Linux on second SSD - (50GB), and have it's GRUB boot both OS(s). Also partitions for the other distros and the remainder for data on the second SSD.

That seems to me overtly complicated. The whole point is to have one set of data available on all OS:s with minimum fuss.

Odd, because that scheme is so much less complicated than your proposal in the code tags below.

nvme0---p1 (NTFS) Windows 
      |-p2 (ext4) BL      
      |-p3 (ext4) Fedora  
      |-p4 (ext4) SuSE    
      -- etc.

sda---1 (ext4)---/BL (/home)
    |          |-/Fedora (/home)
    |          |-/SuSE (/home)
    |          |-etc.
    |
    --2 (NTFS)---~/Documents (symlinks)
               |-~/Downloads
               |-~/Music
               |-~/Pictures
               |-~/Video
               --~/etc.

Speaking of... I haven't seen an installer that will let one select a dir within a partition for /home. It's whole partitions or nothing. In sda1 above, It appears the /home dirs are just that; dirs within a partition.
Is sda2 where the plan is to store all the data? With symlinks from all/each of the OS(s)?

Also not discussed is your typical workload. Drive intensive tasks (video rendering?) would benefit from the data being worked on being stored on the SSD. With 64GB RAM maybe the file being edited could be held entirely in memory. Maybe someone smarter than me will weigh in on this part of the equation.

8bit

#8 2021-08-14 21:26:08

eight.bit.al

rbh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Does the OP use hibernation?
Lots of pages saying swap is beneficial even with loads of ram:

https://www.qwant.com/?q=does+linux+nee … +ram&t=web

https://superuser.com/questions/777907/ … nsive-work.

Me? I don't know. I can only go by what I read.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-14 21:27:05)

#9 2021-08-14 21:36:42

DeepDayze

rbh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

For Windows you should configure a minimal  page (swap) file otherwise it complains, while Linux it's optional if you have a lot of RAM. For Windows a 512MB swap is fine for that much RAM as mentioned.

My 64GB desktop with WIn10/Linux dual boot I use 512MB for Windows and 1GB for Linux.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-08-14 21:38:57)

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2021-08-15 00:10:07

Peregrino69

eight.bit.al wrote:

Huh? Both are SSDs, both BL and Ubuntu just identify the first drive as nvme0, second as sda1. I assume it's a question of which bus it's connecting to. It indeed would be a diff situation altogether - although I'd still need a part of the secondary drive for Windows, Pro Tools needs a separate drive for audio, min 7200rpm... swapping to SSD did wonders to the temperature and noise levels.

eight.bit.al wrote:

It's a good thing for the Amish they invented their religion after the wheel was invented.

big_smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Odd, because that scheme is so much less complicated than your proposal in the code tags below.

Oh yes, it is. That was just an idea I was toying with, basically to keep my configs and whatnot...

eight.bit.al wrote:

Speaking of... I haven't seen an installer that will let one select a dir within a partition for /home. It's whole partitions or nothing.

... which you just very effectively shot down smile So /homes will stay in the root partitions.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Is sda2 where the plan is to store all the data? With symlinks from all/each of the OS(s)?

That's the idea, yes, symlinks pointing to the same directories; so that all data is available on any OS. 

eight.bit.al wrote:

Also not discussed is your typical workload. Drive intensive tasks (video rendering?) would benefit from the data being worked on being stored on the SSD.

Multitrack audio. How much it stresses the disk i/o is rather depending on the number of tracks. Network simulations with multiple VMs require more on the CPU and RAM. I'm betting CPU will become a bottleneck down the line.

eight.bit.al wrote:

With 64GB RAM maybe the file being edited could be held entirely in memory.

Virtual machines can also run from RAM disks big_smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Nope. Technically this is a laptop, but wayyy too big and cumbersome to lug around. A strict desktop replacement, AC 24/7, battery disconnected. I think hibernation's essential for a mobile system, but never really saw the benefit on a desktop.

DeepDayze wrote:

My 64GB desktop with WIn10/Linux dual boot I use 512MB for Windows and 1GB for Linux.

I've always let Windows handle its own swap, never even really bothered checking how much it's reserving. And I've also heard the same claims - waste of space on Linux with lots of RAM. Thanks for the info - I was thinking 16GB is on the high side smile

#11 2021-08-15 00:52:17

DeepDayze

Peregrino69 wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Huh? Both are SSDs, both BL and Ubuntu just identify the first drive as nvme0, second as sda1. I assume it's a question of which bus it's connecting to. It indeed would be a diff situation altogether - although I'd still need a part of the secondary drive for Windows, Pro Tools needs a separate drive for audio, min 7200rpm... swapping to SSD did wonders to the temperature and noise levels.

eight.bit.al wrote:

big_smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Oh yes, it is. That was just an idea I was toying with, basically to keep my configs and whatnot...

eight.bit.al wrote:

Speaking of... I haven't seen an installer that will let one select a dir within a partition for /home. It's whole partitions or nothing.

... which you just very effectively shot down smile So /homes will stay in the root partitions.

eight.bit.al wrote:

That's the idea, yes, symlinks pointing to the same directories; so that all data is available on any OS. 

eight.bit.al wrote:

Also not discussed is your typical workload. Drive intensive tasks (video rendering?) would benefit from the data being worked on being stored on the SSD.

Multitrack audio. How much it stresses the disk i/o is rather depending on the number of tracks. Network simulations with multiple VMs require more on the CPU and RAM. I'm betting CPU will become a bottleneck down the line.

eight.bit.al wrote:

With 64GB RAM maybe the file being edited could be held entirely in memory.

Virtual machines can also run from RAM disks big_smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Nope. Technically this is a laptop, but wayyy too big and cumbersome to lug around. A strict desktop replacement, AC 24/7, battery disconnected. I think hibernation's essential for a mobile system, but never really saw the benefit on a desktop.

DeepDayze wrote:

I've always let Windows handle its own swap, never even really bothered checking how much it's reserving. And I've also heard the same claims - waste of space on Linux with lots of RAM. Thanks for the info - I was thinking 16GB is on the high side smile

if you run Windows off an SSD good idea to move it to regular hard drive to save weer and tear on the SSD, but if you are running Windows on a machine with a lot of memory you can get away with just configuring a tiny pagefile to save space even if it never gets used on such a machine.

Real Men Use Linux

#12 2021-08-15 06:15:16

Peregrino69

DeepDayze wrote:

if you run Windows off an SSD good idea to move it to regular hard drive to save weer and tear on the SSD, but if you are running Windows on a machine with a lot of memory you can get away with just configuring a tiny pagefile to save space even if it never gets used on such a machine.

Neither have nor will have one anymore, except for external mid-term storage smile Thanks for the size suggestion - Windows does reserve way too much anyway.

#13 2021-08-15 14:52:13

eight.bit.al

Peregrino69 wrote:

Huh? Both are SSDs, both BL and Ubuntu just identify the first drive as nvme0, second as sda1. I assume it's a question of which bus it's connecting to.

My bad, apologizes.
I've read NVMe drives provide 6 to 7 times the speed of SATA SSDs. I'd put W10/Pro Tools and the audio data to be worked with on nvme0.
If you're gunna  add and remove various *nix OS(s), I still like one drive for W10 and one for the *nix(s). If you bork the *nix drive, you can still run W10 while your repairing the *nix drive. Or science forbid, rebuilding it from scratch.
Please let us know how it ends up. smile

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-15 14:52:35)

#14 2021-08-16 00:44:34

DeepDayze

Peregrino69 wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Neither have nor will have one anymore, except for external mid-term storage smile Thanks for the size suggestion - Windows does reserve way too much anyway.

Right as mentioned, Windows whines about no page file if you turn that off so just setting a fixed small size will do the trick on your machine. On my own rig that has 64GB Windows wanted to create a 64GB page file, till I told it to just create a 512MB one.

Real Men Use Linux

#15 2021-08-17 08:19:08

Peregrino69

eight.bit.al wrote:

I've read NVMe drives provide 6 to 7 times the speed of SATA SSDs.

Right, I forgot all about that. Did a bit of quick testing with dd and hdparm, and you're right there's a speed difference, even if not that high. BUT!!!

From what I see it looks like the NVMe disk gives about 2x write / 3x read performance - if both are ext4-formatted. However the NTFS-formatted SATA partition seems to equal the ext4-formatted NVMe speeds.

Digging deeper there's the question of optimal block sizes and all that jazz. I tested quick'n dirty with default bs 512. stat -fc %s . shows block size 4096 for both disks. Then I found a couple of scripts for determining optimal blocksizes at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/616 … -blocksize - that gives results I'm not quite understanding yet. Anyhoo looks like some drive optimization is in order.

eight.bit.al wrote:

I'd put W10/Pro Tools and the audio data to be worked with on nvme0.

Again, recommendation has always been that PT application, samples and audio are kept on physically separate drives. I assume that's actually due to HDD an bus speeds, which means that'd likely change now that SSDs are becoming the norm (at least in small home studios like mine), but I'm not chancing it quite yet.

In any case even the slowest speeds I got with dd testing were >300MB/s, whereas a single 48kHz/24bit (my default setting) continuous stream requires only 144kB/s - and there's no way I'll ever have a production with enough continuous audio streams running simultaneously to come anywhere near 300MB/s. No human could comprehend that :-D

Anyhow I've played around using the NTFS data partition, but for example trying to install BL in VBox VM (30GB storage) stored in the NTFS partition failed with "disk full" :-P So I'm going to have a look at the Windows ext4 tools you linked earlier.

eight.bit.al wrote:

If you're gunna  add and remove various *nix OS(s), I still like one drive for W10 and one for the *nix(s). If you bork the *nix drive, you can still run W10 while your repairing the *nix drive.

Except of losing access to all the data stored on the failed drive. That'll be no problem in the future, as I'm going to put a Pi to share my external box. That'll give me 4TB of raided storage for static(ish) data.

eight.bit.al wrote:

Or science forbid, rebuilding it from scratch.

I'm still hoping to overcome that by just having an up-to-date cloned disk. In case of HW failure just open 2 screws and swap smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Please let us know how it ends up. smile

Hah - considering the amount of advice I'm going to need, you can pretty much count on it big_smile

#16 2021-08-20 16:21:52

eight.bit.al

Just for fun I did some testing. Using two Samsung second tier drives; not the expensive flagship drives. I get 4.7 times the speed.
speed_test.th.png

Peregrino69 wrote:

Except of losing access to all the data stored on the failed drive.

Seems to me, if a drive goes belly up, it doesn't matter what's on it; one has a backup or one doesn't. smile So any progress on this? Curious minds want to know!

Peregrino69 wrote:

I'm still hoping to overcome that by just having an up-to-date cloned disk. In case of HW failure just open 2 screws and swap smile
D

Same here. Easy fix.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-08-21 20:03:45)

#17 2021-08-21 17:19:35

Peregrino69

eight.bit.al wrote:

Just for fun I did some testing. Using two Samsung second tier drives; not the expensive flagship drives. I get 4.7 times the speed.

I'm sure my testing leaves a lot to be desired. Also I'm sure some optimization is due.

"Optimization due" reads "Oh crap what did I funk up this time" big_smile

eight.bit.al wrote:

Seems to me, if a drive goes belly up, it doesn't matter what's on it; one has a backup or one doesn't. smile

Absolutely! But time spent restoring data from backup vs time spent plugging a drive to another OS...

eight.bit.al wrote:

So any progress on this? Curious minds want to know!

Kinda. I've progressed to realize that I need to do a heckuva lotta reading big_smile

Also realized that right now I'm better off sticking with VM:s. Firstly BL in this box leaves horsepower for VMs. I just installed Win11 just for fun, and so far it seems pretty much as snappy as Win10 running on hardware. Secondly I'm trying to dedicate my old MacBook to be used purely as home studio workstation, so I need to find substitutions for the applications I currently use.

I'm simply spending too much time fooling around with OS:s I know next to nothing about to get anything sensible done tongue

#18 2021-08-21 23:18:31

DeepDayze

Lol I'd love to run VMWare ESXi and run all my good machines as VM's on top...but the license is too darn expensive for a home setup.

A bare BL setup and either Virtualbox or VMWare workstation would do the trick for managing my VMs.

Real Men Use Linux

#19 2021-08-22 01:26:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^OT but I've been OK with virt-manager handling VMs on qemu/kvm lately. (Not a virtualisation expert though.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#20 2021-08-25 08:27:42

Peregrino69

DeepDayze wrote:

Lol I'd love to run VMWare ESXi and run all my good machines as VM's on top...but the license is too darn expensive for a home setup.

A bare BL setup and either Virtualbox or VMWare workstation would do the trick for managing my VMs.

How long have I been dreaming about that big_smile

I just managed to eff things up again and had to reinstall - the clone drive arrives tomorrow tongue Well, at least I got rid of that Ubuntu... next step after that, gotta try this:

https://opensource.com/article/21/1/vir … dows-linux

johnraff wrote:

^OT but I've been OK with virt-manager handling VMs on qemu/kvm lately. (Not a virtualisation expert though.)

That sounds interesting. Maybe you can point to a good resource where I can learn more about that?

#21 2021-08-25 10:22:45

damo
....moderator....

Peregrino69 wrote:

That sounds interesting. Maybe you can point to a good resource where I can learn more about that?

I've just posted a HowTo: Using virt-manager to run Virtual Machines

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#22 2021-08-25 13:09:54

Peregrino69

damo wrote:

Way cool :-)

A bit confusing tho'...

damo wrote:

It is possible to run virtual machines ... by using virt-manager...

It is possible to use virt-manager instead of virt-viewer, but I haven't investigated...

#23 2021-08-25 15:04:40

damo
....moderator....

Peregrino69 wrote:
damo wrote:

Way cool :-)

A bit confusing tho'...

damo wrote:

It is possible to run virtual machines ... by using virt-manager...

It is possible to use virt-manager instead of virt-viewer, but I haven't investigated...

Yes it is a bit confusing, sorry. It was just a quick answer because you wanted some pointers.  I said I hadn't investigated!

$ apropos virt*
virt-manager     - display the virtual machine desktop management tool
virt-viewer      - display the graphical console for a virtual machine

#24 2021-08-25 16:21:14

Peregrino69

damo wrote:

It was just a quick answer because you wanted some pointers.

And I'm grateful smile Gotta get reading to learn how to use that. Would be nice to try to run VMs w/o VBox.

#25 2021-08-25 18:30:43

damo
....moderator....

Have a search for HowTo's by Head_on_a_Stick... he has done one about using QEMU and KVM: Virtual BunsenLabs with QEMU & KVM

I found that more difficult than the virt-manager approach personally.

Board footer