You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-14 07:38:21

Peregrino69

Those pesky captive portals...

I'm in a company's guest network which uses a WiFi captive portal. When I connect to it with Win, MacOS or IOS I get automatically redirected to the company's captive portal, but not so with Bunsen.

Seems I'm not the only one with this issue. With a bit of digging I bumped into https://github.com/FiloSottile/captive-browser/, which I'm sure is quite handy for a coder, but for us mere mortals...

This time I got around the issue just by logging in with a secondary account, connecting to WiFi and opening Firefox; after that my main account also connected without problems, apparently they're tracking the sessions by MAC addresses.

Obviously there's no guarantees this will work the next time, so does anyone know of a proper solution?

#2 2021-08-14 13:03:29

ohnonot
...again

Re: Those pesky captive portals...

What "account" do you speak of?

Anyhow, I have never heard of captive portals being picky of distros.
Maybe try disabling addons in FF, or use a different browser altogether, or a new profile?

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#3 2021-08-14 14:09:28

Peregrino69

I was talking about my system user account. I don't allow root login, I have a secondary one just for in case something fails with my primary account. Faster & easier than booting into a Live system for troubleshooting. 

Considering that FiloSottile went through the trouble of coding something to get around the issue I'd say it's quite real. Just googling for linux wifi captive portal not showing or something along those lines brings a plethora of results.

It's not browser, profiles or addons. FiloSottile's take on the subject is

To recap, logging in involves resetting the DNS server, opening an Incognito window, enabling Javascript, maybe fumbling with cookies, logging in, and reverting DNS settings.

That might also be it - my primary account uses NordVPN:s DNS servers, secondary doesn't. So just reconfiguring the connection that way might have resolved this as well, didn't occur to me at that point.

Still I'd like to know if someone else has experienced this, and has found another solution.

#4 2021-08-14 17:41:10

twoion
一期一会

GNOME and KDE implement captive portal detection in their NetworkManager integrations. If you are not using either of those, you can make such an integration with NetworkManager by yourself by making a script which nm will then automatically dispatch: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … ve_portals . In any case, nm is about the only good way to do this; the other alternative is opening a browser, completing the captive portal activation, and then returning to whichever application you were going to use originally.

Most captive portals use MAC tracking and L3 auth, so this is no surprise. The most elegant solution is always 802.1x L2 auth, but it's rarely implemented so user can see "open" wifi networks.

#5 2021-08-14 18:35:15

Peregrino69

twoion wrote:

GNOME and KDE implement captive portal detection in their NetworkManager integrations. If you are not using either of those, you can make such an integration with NetworkManager by yourself by making a script which nm will then automatically dispatch: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … ve_portals . In any case, nm is about the only good way to do this; the other alternative is opening a browser, completing the captive portal activation, and then returning to whichever application you were going to use originally.

YASS! I was sure someone's worked around this big_smile FiloSottile's solution is exactly that and requires Chrome or at least a chrome-based browser. For me this is a much preferable solution. Let's hope this works next time.

twoion wrote:

Most captive portals use MAC tracking and L3 auth, so this is no surprise. The most elegant solution is always 802.1x L2 auth, but it's rarely implemented so user can see "open" wifi networks.

Very true smile

Board footer