You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-17 12:35:56

toomanyquestions

Failure to boot root account locked error

I have encountered a complete failure to boot post suspend/hibernate.

The start checks reveled "[Failed] Failed to start File System" and the Dependency failed for /home & for Local also. It then went into emergency mode, but subsequently noted "Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked"?

Roughly 30 hours ago the system booted/operated just fine; I have not updated it since. The system has not booted up since I placed the computer in "suspense / hibernation" for an extended period of time. Afterward I shut it down, correctly, or so I thought. I am guessing the process of emerging from suspense/hibernation somehow resulted in a locked file system(?). I am fairly certain my HD is not encrypted.

In case it matters: my most recent update was probably a week ago, maybe more. I used: sudo apt-get update (and then separately ran) sudo apt-get (I think it was) dist-upgrade (the command noted in the BL welcome script).

I hope there is an easy work around for my borked boot/locked system. I don't really want to reinstall (Debian stable? SMH). I have used Bunsen for a fair while, and before that CB a bit - and never have I had a problem quite like this. 

Update -- it appears that I cannot access my home folder via a bootable live OS (running as root), but on the bright side I seem to be able to access the root folder via that same live OS. This seems unusual - in other situations I have been able to use a live OS to view/collect files from the home partition of a failing HD.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by toomanyquestions (2021-07-17 15:32:43)

#2 2021-07-17 16:27:47

rbh

Re: Failure to boot root account locked error

Your problem booting system should not depends on a bug in Bunsen Labs Linux. Help request like this ought to be posted in Basic Help & Support

If the system encounters file system errors, it want to boot into rescue-mode. With Sudo installed, the system can not log in root user.

If you can boot live iso and mount rot system, you can list the content of the mounted rotpartitions ../etc/fstab.
take a picture or write down the UUID of the /home if it was mounted separetly.
Then run command "lsblk -f" to list the UUID's of all filessytem.
If the UUID of /home is not listed, then that drive has given up or the cable to the drive can be loose.

Yo can also investigate the logs in the rot partionin ../var/log

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-07-17 17:40:52

toomanyquestions

rbh wrote:

Your problem booting system should not depends on a bug in Bunsen Labs Linux. Help request like this ought to be posted in Basic Help & Support

I wasn't sure where this thread belonged; this certainly seems like a bug. Perhaps it is a debian bug. Just last week another debian based OS, running on a different computer, suffered from a failure to boot (the reason was apparently different). Nevertheless, the failure occurred after an extended period in suspense / hibernation. That said, I would move the thread myself, if I could.

I highly doubt my situation is due to a lose connection or some other hardware problem. However, I will try what you suggest and report back (I probably will not post a picture because I saw no practical method of uploading one).

#4 2021-07-17 19:23:02

toomanyquestions

Apparently the /home partition of the disk was full of errors and bad blocks, and the fix of said problem led to the apparent elimination of /home. At this point I am looking at a full reinstall. sad

Needless to say I plan to disable suspend and hibernate in my new installation. Debian wiki.

If anybody else has has experienced problems/corruption due to prolonged periods (4hrs+) of suspense or hibernation it would be helpful to let others know. If I had only turned the machine off....

I will post back if my drive begins to show signs of failure or suffers from an apparent loose connection as rbh suggested.

#5 2021-07-17 21:05:13

rbh

toomanyquestions wrote:

Apparently the /home partition of the disk was full of errors and bad blocks,

If the partion has badblock, it means thatthe disk is in very bad physical health.
You ougt to run a physicak helth checkup (program smartctl). See more on https://www.tecmint.com/check-linux-har … bad-blocks

and the fix of said problem led to the apparent elimination of /home.

If you had important data, you can use program "testdisk", to try recreate partition or just files.

At this point I am looking at a full reinstall. sad

You can continue to use a disk after marking badblocks. But, remember that the disk can stop function any time or slowly degrade... (I have one laptop with a very old disk, that dayly reports health change (I like to set smartctl in deamon mode and reporting health.)

Needless to say I plan to disable suspend and hibernate in my new installation. Debian wiki.

You know that suspend and hibernate prolong your hardware lifetime?

If anybody else has has experienced problems/corruption due to prolonged periods (4hrs+) of suspense or hibernation it would be helpful to let others know.

One laptop lost wifi connection after suspend. I had to create a script with nmcli to be run after suspend. Some months later, some update fixed it.

I have newer encountered filecorruptions or badblock from suspending/hibernating. But, i like to set the filesystem to be autorepaired regularly, every 30'th boot ...

Last edited by rbh (2021-07-17 21:07:23)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Board footer