You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-23 10:54:54

arpeasal

Boot to a fresh install fails

Problem: Fresh installation from live usb doesn’t boot.  I get a screen with a blue area that says “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.  Insert recovery media …”.

Machine: Acer Aspire with a 240 GB SSD added is /dev/sda.  Before installing BunsenLabs Linux, this machine was running Arch Linux with the SSD as /dev/sda and the original HD as /dev/sdb without any problems.

What I did (How I installed): 
Using a BunsenLabs live usb, I wiped the SSD using gdisk.  I deleted all of the partitions and wrote these changes.  I then added a single ext4 partition for the entire disk and wrote this change.  I then deleted this partition and wrote this change, leaving the entire disk as free space.

I rebooted and chose the installer.  I chose manual partitioning.
I created the following partitions in this order using the appropriate file systems (note: the 3 places I’ve indicated “FREE SPACE” I didn’t make the free space but the system apparently did.):
1.0 MB FREESPACE
EFI partition of 400 MB
556.0 KB FREESPACE
Swap partition of 16 GB
ext4 partition of 75GB with mount point /
ext4 partition for remainder of disk with mount point /home
597.5 KB FREESPACE

The installation appeared to proceed normally, but when I rebooted, I got the message indicated above.

I then tried an assisted installation, letting the installer use the entire /dev/sda and got the same result.

What do I need to do to have a bootable installation?

#2 2021-06-24 08:24:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Boot to a fresh install fails

A quick websearch suggests it might be a BIOS settings issue.
For a start, try this:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. … 7#p1469047
Otherwise try some more searching with things like:

debian “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert recovery media”

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2021-06-24 10:12:47

rbh

Re: Boot to a fresh install fails

arpeasal wrote:

Problem: Fresh installation from live usb doesn’t boot.
[...]
Machine: Acer Aspire with a 240 GB SSD added is /dev/sda.  Before installing BunsenLabs Linux, this machine was running Arch Linux with the SSD as /dev/sda and the original HD as /dev/sdb without any problems.
[...]
What do I need to do to have a bootable installation?

Maybe the computer tries to boot from other disk? Have you tried entering the boot menu (Press F12, repetedly,from power on) and changed boot order? If that suceeds, you can change boot-order permanently in bios.

Or, did you write grub to the other disk? If so, the computer will also boot, when changing boot disk.

You can use tools like Super Grub2 Disk, to search for grub menu and boot an menu choise. After booting, you can write grub to correct disk.

Also, good to boot live iso, mount the root (ev boot partition) and manually inspect that /boot directory is correct populated. Also chaeck logs in target: /var/log/installer/

Last edited by rbh (2021-06-24 10:13:57)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Board footer