You are not logged in.

#26 2021-06-23 20:21:38

rbh

Re: Directory/File changes

flyinsparks wrote:

what I want to know is where
[...]

xdg-user-dirs-update --set FILENAME ~/filename

This is still the result of ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs whenever you shutdown then restart no matter what you do with:

Not realey what you asked for, but I must point out for you:

xdg-user-dirs-update --set FILENAME ~/filename

Is that realy your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs? The line above should not be in the configfile! And not any closing code tag either.
It seems that BL user config files was recently updated. Then, your changes will be owerwritten. Take a look in ~/.cache/bunsen/bl-setup/log.

You should copy default configfile from /usr/share/bunsen/skel/.config/user-dirs.dirs. You do not need to change anything in user-dirs.dirs.

If you prefer to edit user-dirs.dirs, be prepared it can be overwritten. When restarting, after updating ../skel, the computer will ask for permission to overwrite. But, ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs, should not be overwritten after each restart.

rbh wrote:

<options> is how to mount. "noauto", means not automatic. "user", to give normal user the right to mount. "rw", to give read and write permisssions. The other flags, can we skip for now, Read about them in "Debian handbook" (on the menu, Help... => Debian => Debian handbook. The link b elow, could also be good to read.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/113733/ … -etc-fsta

flyinsparks wrote:

The above I'm guessing is where I will be able to read up and configure fstab so that at boot ALL drives are mounted.

If you want to disable Thunar automunt, read Thunar: disable automounting by default?. Read about fstab. If you want just your external usb disk be mounted at startup, erase flag "noauto". Else, it wil be mounted first when you klick it in thunar. I think that is better!

Take a look in your home-directory. Have you renamed ~/Documents etc to *.bak?
Have you created a softlink from your external /MountPath/Documents to ~?

Before you made an link

ln -s /media/my name/Seagate_Backup_Plus_Drive/Documents/ Documents Documents

I asked yo about that erlier. You have one "Documents" to much! No wonder you created a broken link.

The syntax for the command is: ln [options] Target linkname
If you are standing in your homedirectory, the link will be created there, id you do not give any path.
The target is directory "Documents" in your mounted external drive.
Option is -s (soft).

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#27 2021-06-24 07:46:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

If you prefer to edit user-dirs.dirs, be prepared it can be overwritten.

It's been my experience to date that editing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs works fine except when the system cannot find the directory you've set, in which case it will overwrite with whatever it considers to be right. Also, be sure to use the exactly correct format, as described in the comments in that file.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#28 2021-07-07 10:16:16

flyinsparks

Hello

I think this is my problem:

johnraff wrote:

It's been my experience to date that editing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs works fine except when the system cannot find the directory you've set, in which case it will overwrite with whatever it considers to be right. Also, be sure to use the exactly correct format, as described in the comments in that file.

I've edited ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks and they stay the same no matter what so when I start up and mount the drives the Thunar shortcuts work.

So I've got work with fstab to get all my drives to mount at boot.

I think......

Regards

Andy

Board footer