You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-14 20:31:38

halm

Bunsen-meta-lite flagged as broken in apt repository

After a few years away from BL, I wanted to install it as a lean desktop over my working Buster system. However, as the title says, apt flags the bunsen-meta-lite package as broken.

Will it work to just install the "dependencies", ie the programs under the meta package "umbrella", or will they then miss some configuration?

#2 2021-06-14 21:21:32

rbh

Re: Bunsen-meta-lite flagged as broken in apt repository

I have never tried to install BL packages over a debian desktop. It is not recomended...

Do you want to keep old desktop and be able to switch between Debian and BL? I am not sure it is possible to do without some tweaking and if so it is nessesary to know what to do...

I have used at debian xfce-system and uninstalled X and run netinstall skript, and installed debian cli and installed beryllium packages. That works ok.

Recommended is to use the BL iso and wipe old installation...

If you install all bunsen-packages you will get all bunsen-configs...
But, you might encounter package clashes when keeping the debian desktop.
If it not is essentiel for you to keep old desktop, test to install the BL-packages.

Else, describe your situation, why you choosed to install BL over your desktop.

Last edited by rbh (2021-06-14 21:22:08)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-06-15 02:09:25

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi Halm, by "working Buster system" do you mean a CLI-only system or a graphical desktop? If the latter, it's likely to be GNOME (default Debian desktop), and as rbh says, installing BunsenLabs on top of it will be complicated and probably unhelpful (although maybe not completely impossible).

As for bunsen-meta-lite, I am not aware of any issues with the Lithium/Buster package. Can you be more specific as to what error message you get?

If you do install bunsen-meta-lite at some point, and want a leaner setup, I would suggest the '--no-install-recommends' option. Just installing the dependencies of the metapackage will work too - nothing desperately important will be lost.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#4 2021-06-15 09:14:38

halm

To address the package issues first, when I try to install bunsen-meta-lite, Synaptic simply reports it as broken with no further explanation. When I try to fix the metapackage, I get this error message:

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

I can try a CLI install if that will give you more in-depth error messages to go on?

Where I'm at and what I hope to achieve with this:
I've used CrunchBang and BunsenLabs in the past, but when I had to do a complete OS reinstall this New Year I was lured in by the KDE bells and whistles, and installed that over a fresh, minimal CLI Buster system. That wore out its welcome rather quickly, though, and 6 months later I'm jonesing for the relative simplicity of BL.

So on one hand I have a system and a set of software that I'm fairly happy with, on the other the graphical desktop is a bloated memory hog that I want to replace — but preferably without going through another full system install and setup. I am aware that BL isn't just a drop-in replacement for a DE, but I assumed that it would be possible to set it up from a few core apps and configs?

As an alternative I might just install Openbox and make it behave like BL before I get rid of KDE.

#5 2021-06-16 03:00:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

There's nothing wrong with the metapackage that I'm aware of, but the terminal output of the following commands might help find the issue:

apt-cache policy
apt-cache policy bunsen-meta-lite

And yes, trying the install from a terminal instead of synaptic might give more information:

sudo apt-get install bunsen-meta-lite

If you have the time, separately installing the packages listed as dependencies of bunsen-meta-all, one at a time or in small groups, should identify the sticking point, and let you find a way through.

But your current KDE setup is indeed probably one of the more bloated you could have, and likely to cause complications, whatever you do.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#6 2021-06-16 09:12:04

rbh

If you can't get an working BL desktop installed besides the KDE, try uninstall KDE first.

If you do not have an cable connection and cant configure wifi in cli, you can boot BL live session from the iso and chroot in to your cli debian systemand install BL packages.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2021-06-19 14:52:06

halm

Thanks for your replies! For a start, here is what I get from the terminal commands John Raff suggested.

apt-cache policy output (edited to only include BL repositories):

100 https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
     release o=bunsenlabs,a=buster-backports,n=buster-backports,l=bunsenlabs,c=main,b=amd64
     origin pkg.bunsenlabs.org
 500 https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian lithium/main amd64 Packages
     release o=bunsenlabs,a=lithium,n=lithium,l=bunsenlabs,c=main,b=amd64

apt-cache policy bunsen-meta-lite output:

bunsen-meta-lite:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 10.1-2
  Version table:
     10.1-2 500

sudo apt-get install bunsen-meta-lite output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 bunsen-meta-lite : Depends: bunsen-configs-lite but it is not going to be installed

So, an "impossible situation"...? I suppose it's one of my own making, but just what it is, I couldn't say. hmm

Edit: I tried running sudo apt-get install bunsen-configs-lite, although that seems to be the stumbling block in the above. However, apt seems more than happy to install it when it isn't invoked by the meta-lite package?

Last edited by halm (2021-06-19 15:06:01)

#8 2021-06-19 14:57:29

twoion
ほやほや

halm wrote:

Thanks for your replies! For a start, here is what I get from the terminal commands John Raff suggested.

apt-cache policy output (edited to only include BL repositories):

100 https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
     release o=bunsenlabs,a=buster-backports,n=buster-backports,l=bunsenlabs,c=main,b=amd64
     release o=bunsenlabs,a=lithium,n=lithium,l=bunsenlabs,c=main,b=amd64

apt-cache policy bunsen-meta-lite output:

bunsen-meta-lite:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 10.1-2
  Version table:
     10.1-2 500

sudo apt-get install bunsen-meta-lite output:

Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 bunsen-meta-lite : Depends: bunsen-configs-lite but it is not going to be installed

So, an "impossible situation"...? I suppose it's one of my own making, but just what it is, I couldn't say. hmm

What does

sudo apt-get install -f

suggest? It should fix the system if it can be resolved by just installing missing dependencies. Alternatively, get rid of all packages which apt complains about with apt-get purge, finally close with a apt-get dist-upgrade (dist-upgrade is allowed to REMOVE conflicting packages, which the upgrade action alone is not).

Nassdachs

#9 2021-06-19 15:17:59

halm

twoion wrote:

What does

sudo apt-get install -f

suggest?

Nothing, really:

Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Alternatively, get rid of all packages which apt complains about with apt-get purge, finally close with a apt-get dist-upgrade (dist-upgrade is allowed to REMOVE conflicting packages, which the upgrade action alone is not).

Thanks for the suggestion, but after these steps I still get the same error on

apt-get install bunsen-meta-lite

#10 2021-06-19 15:26:18

rbh

You have installed package bunsen-configs-lite, do you still get complaints when trying to install package bunsen-meta-lite?

So, why not just continue and install the other BL packages?

// Regards rbh

#11 2021-06-19 15:44:08

halm

rbh wrote:

You have installed package bunsen-configs-lite

Actually, I only tested if it would give an error message and, when it didn't, I aborted the install. It's more than I want to spend my Saturday evening on smile

You're right, though, this is probably the way to go about it. Thanks for your advice!

Board footer