You are not logged in.

#126 2016-08-06 09:18:23

ohnonot
...again

Re: BunsenLabs Reviews

hhh wrote:
hhh wrote:

Das finden Sie auf der Heft-DVD:

You will find this on the DVD disc (DVD book or booklet). Interpreting Google and high-school German class.

"Heft" in this case refers to the magazine.
"Heft-DVD" in this case means "The DVD included with the magazine".
So:
"You will find this on the DVD included with the magazine:"

btw, always interesting to hear what languages native english speakers learn in school.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#127 2016-08-07 01:30:14

hhh
Meep!
Website

Ah, that's a better translation for 'DVD-booklet', thanks!

I can't speak any languages, not even my native tongs (click click, you always warm up tongs before using them), but I do like to pay attention.

#128 2016-10-26 21:00:44

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

There is a one page short review of #bÍ in the magazin called "LinuxWelt". 2016/10-11, p. 34. It says it's puristic and fast.

#129 2016-11-14 19:49:01

twoion
一期一会

martix wrote:

There is a one page short review of #bÍ in the magazin called "LinuxWelt". 2016/10-11, p. 34. It says it's puristic and fast.

Hey thanks, I've add the reference to the list although it's only accessible in print.

#130 2016-11-24 01:44:05

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that #bÍ is not in the first 100 on distrowatch yet (more like 110-130 range atm). I cannot remember: Was #! ever in the top 10? If I'm not mistaken, I have seen it in the top 20. Have no doubt though that after some more reviews and months #bĺ will climb to a two digit place...

#131 2016-11-24 05:56:07

ohnonot
...again

martix wrote:

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that #bÍ is not in the first 100 on distrowatch yet (more like 110-130 range atm). I cannot remember: Was #! ever in the top 10? If I'm not mistaken, I have seen it in the top 20. Have no doubt though that after some more reviews and months #bĺ will climb to a two digit place...

what does it matter?

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#132 2016-11-24 11:52:56

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

ohnonot wrote:

what does it matter?

Not that it matters. Given how great #bÍ is, I just expected it faster to climb in the first hundred. One or two more links to reviews could be added to that distrowatch page though.

#133 2016-11-25 15:04:29

g33zr

FWIW, when I first installed #!, it may have been in the top 10 on DistroWatch; it was certainly in the top 20. In my opinion, no one at the time did OpenBox better than Philip Newborough aka Corenominal. That said, the Bunsenlabs team has done a yeoman's job of continuing the look and feel of #!

On a personal note, after seeing more than one distro fall by the wayside in recent years, I'm hesitant to commit to a distro maintained primarily by a single person or a small group of persons. I've also reached a point in my life in which I'm less inclined to tinker and prefer a well-supported and well-financed distro that's works and is easy to maintain on my end.

Last edited by g33zr (2016-11-25 22:09:19)

What? Me worry?

Red pill or blue pill?

#134 2016-12-01 19:03:42

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

martix wrote:

Not that it matters. Given how great #bÍ is, I just expected it faster to climb in the first hundred. One or two more links to reviews could be added to that distrowatch page though.

So, not to be someone who is just talking about things getting done I checked all the reviews. The ones from linuxinsider and alwaysintao seemed to be the best so far. Suggested to distrowatch to add them and at least the first one is available now.

#135 2016-12-01 22:06:31

Luki

g33zr wrote:

On a personal note, after seeing more than one distro fall by the wayside in recent years, I'm hesitant to commit to a distro maintained primarily by a single person or a small group of persons. I've also reached a point in my life in which I'm less inclined to tinker and prefer a well-supported and well-financed distro that's works and is easy to maintain on my end.

Is this to say this is a problem with BL/CrunchBang? As long as Debian is around I dont see a problem and my tinkering is done too I should hope as long as my backups don't disappear.

#136 2016-12-01 23:48:00

twoion
一期一会

Luki wrote:
g33zr wrote:

Is this to say this is a problem with BL/CrunchBang? As long as Debian is around I dont see a problem and my tinkering is done too I should hope as long as my backups don't disappear.

Well, personally I handle it just like ge33zr. The only considerable options for my main computers are pure Debian | Ubuntu | Fedora | OpenSUSE | CentOS | Arch, where Arch is already almost too small (you'll find that package maintainership of non-core packages at Arch is already lacking in quality in some instances, though it runs well generally). That extends to smaller distros which have some smallish medium-sized company's backing currently but tend to be gone very quickly as soon as the most important life line gets cut (Mandrake, elementary, deepin), and which do not do something that's terribly interesting or useful (as opposed to Alpine Linux, NixOS, QubesOS and similar).

I'm even not exactly sure what the difference between Ubuntu w/ installed KDE/XFCE/LXDE tasks and Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc is, as Debian provides this split using tasksel natively (perhaps it just provides a full default installation with good QA, just as BL does for Debian/Openbox ("Obuntu")).

I believe we had this discussion to some degree of detail over at #! before, as to what the sense and nonsense of having a smalltime distro like BL or #! around could be, no need to repeat everything here.

I'd say that as long as BunsenLabs, #! et al. stay on as "${bigdistro} plus something modest and don't pretend to be something they aren't" they have a place (albeit not as spacious a place as they had before). Also they will always have a place as a hobby big_smile

#137 2016-12-02 04:29:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

twoion wrote:

I'm even not exactly sure what the difference between Ubuntu w/ installed KDE/XFCE/LXDE tasks and Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc is, as Debian provides this split using tasksel natively (perhaps it just provides a full default installation with good QA, just as BL does for Debian/Openbox ("Obuntu")).

I've used Xubuntu in the past and can say that it's very different from just adding XFCE to Ubuntu from the user's POV, though basically it is indeed mostly just a lot of configuration/themes/artwork/app-choices: more or less what BL does with openbox.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#138 2016-12-02 07:44:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Luki wrote:

Is this to say this is a problem with BL/CrunchBang?

The beauty of the #!/BL paradigm is that if we ever stop, the user can continue developing the desktop themselves on a pure Debian base cool

Personally, I am making no corenominal-style statements, my involvement in this project will continue for as long as I am interested in it.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#139 2016-12-02 08:10:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The beauty of the #!/BL paradigm is that if we ever stop, the user can continue developing the desktop themselves on a pure Debian base

...and other developers can pick it up and continue, if they want. That's why we put all our code up on GitHub, and try to make it as understandable as possible to future developers. (don't we?)

#140 2016-12-02 22:41:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Yes indeed, good point  smile

As long as nobody finds out about ferretgate we should be fine  monkey

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#141 2016-12-15 03:18:42

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
twoion wrote:

I've used Xubuntu in the past and can say that it's very different from just adding XFCE to Ubuntu from the user's POV, though basically it is indeed mostly just a lot of configuration/themes/artwork/app-choices: more or less what BL does with openbox.

Ubuntu is fairly non trivial to strip back to its bare nuts and bolts and rebuild into something different. I went as far as I reasonably could in doing so with openbox before I discovered Crunchbang and it was not as easy as it would seem at first glance. These things are so much easier to accomplish in Arch or Debian. I feel like there will always be a place, albeit small, for a #! or BL like distro, if for no other reason, than they really extend the life of old hardware and are built for tinkerers

Last edited by tknomanzr (2016-12-15 03:19:53)

#142 2017-02-01 04:40:12

hhh
Meep!
Website

I found another screencast from my favorite Southerner reviewer. His system is lightning fast using Debian/OB/BL...
https://youtu.be/DUM-qMqg_ng

#143 2017-02-13 21:12:13

topdollar
Website

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the Linux Format magazine, #219, here in the states has BunsenLabs in the comparison section with some other "lightweight" distros. Pretty good review, we finished 2nd overall behind antiX, which I don't agree with, but that's a discussion for another time.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

#144 2017-02-13 21:23:41

twoion
一期一会

topdollar wrote:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the Linux Format magazine, #219, here in the states has BunsenLabs in the comparison section with some other "lightweight" distros. Pretty good review, we finished 2nd overall behind antiX, which I don't agree with, but that's a discussion for another time.

Amazing, all those small Linux magazines. I can add a reference to the review main site; I suppose you are referring to the "review of lightweight distros" pp. 29? Can't read it myself though because the online preview is limited.

#145 2017-02-13 21:30:56

twoion
一期一会

hhh wrote:

I found another screencast from my favorite Southerner reviewer. His system is lightning fast using Debian/OB/BL...
https://youtu.be/DUM-qMqg_ng

I will add this as soon as I have watched it myself; am currently on mobile 4G internet only and running out of data fast, can do it next weekend!

#146 2017-02-13 22:38:51

topdollar
Website

Hi twoion!

Yeah, that's the one, was at Barnes and Noble, bored waiting for my wife, and picked it up and started reading it. They liked a lot about BL, especially being able to customize practically everything to your own personal desires!

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

#147 2017-02-14 10:09:26

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

There was an article called "25 years Linux(e)" in LinuxWelt. Question: When you look at the picture, which logo do you recognize?  big_smile  (Probably all of them, but for the sake of this forum I mean...)

25linux.th.jpg

In the magazine 01/2017 there is also an article about lightweight distros (p. 62-65). Antix, #BĹ, Lubuntu, LXLE, Slitaz, Tiny Core, Vector, Watt-OS and Xubuntu. The #BĹ stuff is on p. 65 (it says "openbox with comfort"). They also describe how to use something similar on Ubuntu basis.

#148 2017-04-28 08:04:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

BunsenLabs Linux - Apresentação e Configurações iniciais
It's in Portuguese, but he goes through the installation, welcome script and menu very thoroughly.
I think he liked it...

#149 2017-04-28 11:16:52

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

^ He did seem to like it.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#150 2017-04-29 12:18:29

Nili
Website

Mike Turcotte from ghacks.net has made an review recently about Window Manager Openbox by citing and evaluating BunsenLabs as a good opportunity for anyone interested on a light and minimal OS.

Thanks Mike!

Fedora (Workstation Edition)
Devuan (Testing)
---
\m/ Ijime, Dame, Zettai「イジメ、ダメ、ゼッタイ」\m/

Board footer