You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-13 19:03:15

kha11

Mount an existing software raid from bunsenlabs live CD.

I installed lithium and accidentally wiped my home partition on my software Raid 1 (two drives) array.

When I run bunsenlabs in live mode it does not mount my raid drives.

How do I use mdadm to mount the home partition on my raid so I can use rsync to recover my backup.

Secondly, if I use rsync to restore my home partition to an exact copy of what is was before I installed lithium, I assume I will have to reinstall lithium again for it to work as expected as I presume some new files are written to the home partition during the installation.

#2 2021-03-13 22:08:54

rbh

Re: Mount an existing software raid from bunsenlabs live CD.

kha11 wrote:

How do I use mdadm to mount the home partition on my raid so I can use rsync to recover my backup.

You have to install mdadm (and rsync) in the live session. Or use a live disk with mdadm installed. I like https://www.system-rescue.org.

Secondly, if I use rsync to restore my home partition to an exact copy of what is was before I installed lithium, I assume I will have to reinstall lithium again for it to work as expected as I presume some new files are written to the home partition during the installation.

You can run

$ bl-user-setup --refresh

to restore default BL-config files.

You have not used testdisk (available on SystemrescueCD) to restore disk partitions?...
Maybe is a good time to test out if so...

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-03-14 18:06:08

rbh

I forgot to elaborate on mdadm.

In the systemRescueCD, mdadm is auotstarted and present raid devices start if healthy.
But, beware that device if named md0 before, will be renamed to md127

In BL Live session.
Install mdadm
Run "lsblk -f", to list all partitions with filesystem type.
All raid device members will be marked "linux_raid_member"

If no "linux_raid_member" is listed, you have to run "testdisk" to recover partition.

If /dev/sda5 ande /dev/sdb5 is msarked "linux_raid_member", you can rebuild the raid with command:

$ sudo mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb5

Check status
    $

sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0    

If status=sync in progress, you can wait till sync is finished before rebooting to your BL-box.

Before rebooting, you can create etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf. Run:

mdadm --detail --scan >> /mnt/etc/mdadm.conf #(if Bl is mounted on /mnt)

Edit, should pipe to /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf!
Better command:

mdadm -E -s >> /mnt/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Last edited by rbh (2021-03-14 21:06:30)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2021-04-20 17:50:30

kha11

rbh

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply.

After thinking over various options, I decided to restore my entire home to a single folder in my new home and then move them to their original location as and when required.

I decided it was an opportunity to have a fresh start and try and organise my files in a more logical way.

Regards

KH

Board footer