You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-27 11:18:24

CooKiECruNChEr43

I messed up: etc/cups

I have problems with getting my printer to work. I posted for this on linuxquestions.org:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … 175559698/

I decided to try it once more: I uninstalled cups (purged it). And to be certain I also removed etc/cups thinking that the files there were configuration files. For that I went into root and I deleted them.

Big mistake. I cannot install cups now. I need to make a new etc/cups file to make it work again.

Because I think it is OS-specific, I ask my question here. How to remake etc/cups?

#2 2015-11-29 01:51:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: I messed up: etc/cups

CooKiECruNChEr43 wrote:

I cannot install cups now. I need to make a new etc/cups file to make it work again.

Can you be sure /etc/cups is needed? There's no such directory on a new BunsenLabs system.

Try

sudo apt-get install cups

in a terminal again, and post any error messages you get.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2015-11-29 05:07:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

/etc/cups doesn't seem like it exists as a file at all. /etc/cups/ is a directory that gets created when cups is installed and contains snmp.conf and (possibly) other configuration files.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/cups/filelist
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting# … s_Machines
https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS … r.2C_cupsd

#4 2015-11-29 05:49:53

CooKiECruNChEr43

You were right, hhh. I tried to install cups and hplip again and it worked. I have got my printer back. The decision to erase etc/cups was in hindsight not a bad one. But what I should have done it to rename the directory and not to erase it.

What happened is that after I had erased the directory, I got into synaptic manager and I tried to install Cups and (for some reason) I couldn't. And I couldn't restore to the old values. OUch.

Thank you for answering, all of you.

#5 2015-11-29 08:17:35

ohnonot
...again

glad you got it working again.

i think you just panicked when you couldn't reinstall and immediately blamed your last critical action, but really it had nothing to do with /etc/cups. what it really was we probably won't be able to find out anymore.

it would have been good to read apt-get's output.
always, actually. don't upgrade blindly.

[rant]
what is it with terminal output that people seem to forget their ability to read?
i've had that too in my early days, but at some point something clicked and i got it:
there's a reason for that output, and there's a reason that it's not in hex code, but in english.
[/rant]

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-11-29 08:18:41)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#6 2015-11-29 13:30:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

ohnonot wrote:

[rant]
what is it with terminal output that people seem to forget their ability to read?
i've had that too in my early days, but at some point something clicked and i got it:
there's a reason for that output, and there's a reason that it's not in hex code, but in english.
[/rant]

WOW!  Do I ever like that!

About two years ago - maybe less but not more - I deleted 'synaptic' and use apt-get exclusively to update, upgrade, get and remove files.  aptitude and apt-cache to search for, show files etc. all via aliases.

So I'm a noob that uses a terminal because I like to read what's going on.  smile

@CooKiECruNChEr43

glad you got it working again. <-- to quote ohnonot again

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

Board footer