You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-26 17:11:50

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

(SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

I thought I had it solved yesterday, but today the problem recurred. I've been following a thread on Github* about it, and one of the tips was to put

[redshift]
allowed=true
system=false
users=

into the etc/geoclue/geoclue.conf file. This didn't work, at least at first. something I did last night got it working, but unfortunately I can't recall what. However, today it's back to not working. The Github thread made me realize there can be several different issues that might cause the problem. And a lot of people seem to have the problem.

I could try f.lux, but getting that going on Linux is even more of a headache. I'll use sct until I get it solved, but if anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate it!


*https://github.com/jonls/redshift/issues/445

Last edited by mdiemer (2021-03-03 00:56:07)

Offline

#2 2021-02-27 10:47:57

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 3,139

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

Geoclue used to work flawlessly for years before they updated something in the geoclue service. Since then, I only had problems, and stopped using it for redshift as well. My redshift systemd service in ~/.config/systemd/user/redshift.service is now:

[Unit]
Description=redshift

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/redshift -m randr -l manual -t 2500:1500 -l 52.52:13.4 -g 1.2:1.2:1.2
#ExecStart=/usr/bin/redshift -m randr -l geoclue2 -t 2500:1500 -g 1.2:1.2:1.2
KillMode=process
KillSignal=SIGTERM

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

So no geoclue anymore. Can you post the output of

journalctl -u geoclue.service

while geoclue was/is running, as well as redshift.service errors?

IIRC I tried pretty hard to make it work correctly, to no avail, so I gave up.


Music makes us braver

Online

#3 2021-02-27 18:07:20

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

twoion wrote:

Geoclue used to work flawlessly for years before they updated something in the geoclue service. Since then, I only had problems, and stopped using it for redshift as well. My redshift systemd service in ~/.config/systemd/user/redshift.service is now:

[Unit]
Description=redshift

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/redshift -m randr -l manual -t 2500:1500 -l 52.52:13.4 -g 1.2:1.2:1.2
#ExecStart=/usr/bin/redshift -m randr -l geoclue2 -t 2500:1500 -g 1.2:1.2:1.2
KillMode=process
KillSignal=SIGTERM

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

So no geoclue anymore. Can you post the output of

journalctl -u geoclue.service

while geoclue was/is running, as well as redshift.service errors?

IIRC I tried pretty hard to make it work correctly, to no avail, so I gave up.

I reinstalled Bunsen last night, after deciding to ditch Ubuntu 16.04, which was also on the drive (but was opening slowly since Bunsen install, and is EOL anyway soon). This, predictably, resulted in Bunsen failing to boot, which the boot repair disk usually would solve, but not this time. anyway, since reinstalling, I have not installed Redshift. I though I would use sct, pending further research, or some other program I could get working. So no output to post on Redshift or geoclue (I can't find it in etc/geoclue, so it must install only with Redshift)? The folks on Github do seem to agree that Redshift is broken, and only woks unpredictably. Fortunately, sct is easy enough to use.

If I decide to give it another go I will post the outputs you requested. But, as you pointed out, this appears to be one of those intractable problems we sometimes see in the world of Linux.

Thanks for your help!

Offline

#4 2021-02-27 19:49:22

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,390
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

Redshift works just fine for me.
However, i don't bother with the dynamic location updating at all. Unless you travel massive distances (continents) it's of little consequence.
You can enter the location manually in redshift's config file, or even tell it the exact times when to go red.


Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Offline

#5 2021-02-28 01:24:06

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

I decided to try again. This time I installed via terminal, redshift-gtk. When I ran Redshift, it worked! Since I've had success before only to have it fail again, I can't declare victory yet. My previous installs were through Synaptic.

BTW, I thought you installed programs in BL with dpkg -i. I was getting nowhere with that, so I switched to apt, and that worked.

Offline

#6 2021-02-28 09:35:26

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,390
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:

I thought you installed programs in BL with dpkg -i. I was getting nowhere with that, so I switched to apt, and that worked.

And that is usually the correct way.


Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Offline

#7 2021-02-28 18:26:22

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

ohnonot wrote:

And that is usually the correct way.

Which is? apt or dpkg? You have to be more specific (I used to be an English major, before I went crazy, and decided to get a psych degree).

Anyway, today it's not getting the location again, ha ha. Location, location, location...

so I'm going to attempt something I've never done before, namely make a config file. I saw on Github you can copy/paste one from there. changing of course the location. And I'll change the temp. settings, too. 4500 is not cool enough. Although Bunsen Labs Lithium is the coolest system I've tried yet.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by mdiemer (2021-02-28 18:26:49)

Offline

#8 2021-02-28 19:14:37

sleekmason
zoom
From: Ozarks
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 578
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

And that is usually the correct way.

Which is? apt or dpkg? You have to be more specific (I used to be an English major, before I went crazy, and decided to get a psych degree).

Anyway, today it's not getting the location again, ha ha. Location, location, location...

so I'm going to attempt something I've never done before, namely make a config file. I saw on Github you can copy/paste one from there. changing of course the location. And I'll change the temp. settings, too. 4500 is not cool enough. Although Bunsen Labs Lithium is the coolest system I've tried yet.

Wish me luck!

There are a lot of people (most?) on the forums here, for whom English is not their native language.  Sometimes nuance needs to be adjusted for such.

Using Apt is usually the correct way, with dpkg used more for individual downloads to your computer. Apt is simply invoking dpkg to meet its ends, but makes sure everything is groovy with the whole system as it does so.

A better explanation:
https://linuxhint.com/debian_package_managers/

Ha! Now you've opened Pandora's box with the config files. smile Next it's scripts.

Good luck!

Offline

#9 2021-02-28 19:15:24

Nick
Member
Registered: 2020-09-05
Posts: 49

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:

(I used to be an English major, before I went crazy, and decided to get a psych degree).

lol lol
Well said.

mdiemer wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

And that is usually the correct way.

Which is? apt or dpkg?

Apt's normally used to install from the online repositories whereas dpkg is more likely to be used to install a package you manually downloaded as a .deb file. In other words, apt is what I normally use.

Regarding the topic I agree with the others, it's easier for me to set the location manually rather than try to get geoclue to work.

mdiemer wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck!


edit - What Sleekmason said (accidentally doubleposted wink )

Last edited by Nick (2021-02-28 19:16:59)

Offline

#10 2021-02-28 19:22:40

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

sleekmason wrote:

There are a lot of people (most?) on the forums here, for whom English is not their native language.  Sometimes nuance needs to be adjusted for such.

If only computer code was as flexible...no nuance there...but point taken.

thanks for the tips, and the Good Luck!

Offline

#11 2021-02-28 19:27:13

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

Nick wrote:

Apt's normally used to install from the online repositories whereas dpkg is more likely to be used to install a package you manually downloaded as a .deb file. In other words, apt is what I normally use.

Thanks for the clarification. I was avoiding apt, somehow associating with Ubuntu, and I'm trying to be careful not to break Debian by doing things the way you would on Ubuntu. But I take it that has more to do with adding repositories.

Offline

#12 2021-02-28 19:40:18

Nick
Member
Registered: 2020-09-05
Posts: 49

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:

I'm trying to be careful not to break Debian by doing things the way you would on Ubuntu. But I take it that has more to do with adding repositories.

That makes sense. Overall, like you said, apt is fine as long as you're using it with the right repositories. BunsenLabs has the right repositories out of the box so you're fine by default.

Offline

#13 2021-03-01 03:15:54

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,857
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:

I was avoiding apt, somehow associating with Ubuntu...

Apt was developed by Debian, and used by Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Ubuntu have put a lot of extra stuff on top, though, and customized some of the Debian packages. I think apt works pretty much the same way on both though.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#14 2021-03-02 05:17:41

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

Success! I was able (after a good deal of research - never did this before) to create the .config file and edit it appropriately. The only changes I had to make were location (of course), and change Randr to vidmode, for the adjustment method. Reinstalled Redshift and it kicked in immediately. Very cool (pun intended).

Offline

#15 2021-03-02 14:50:22

sleekmason
zoom
From: Ozarks
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 578
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

mdiemer wrote:

Success! I was able (after a good deal of research - never did this before) to create the .config file and edit it appropriately. The only changes I had to make were location (of course), and change Randr to vidmode, for the adjustment method. Reinstalled Redshift and it kicked in immediately. Very cool (pun intended).

Good job!  First step to taking over the world is getting all your configuration files the way you want. After that, it's all cake.)

For the record, no re-install of packages are necessary after configuration file changes.  Simply restarting the program should suffice. At worst, a logout or reboot if your not sure how to restart something manually.

Offline

#16 2021-03-02 17:30:29

mdiemer
Member
Registered: 2021-02-25
Posts: 16

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

sleekmason wrote:

Good job!  First step to taking over the world is getting all your configuration files the way you want. After that, it's all cake.)

For the record, no re-install of packages are necessary after configuration file changes.  Simply restarting the program should suffice. At worst, a logout or reboot if your not sure how to restart something manually.

Thanks. That's good to know. Onward!

Offline

#17 2021-03-03 04:40:03

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,482
Website

Re: (SOLVED)"Redshift Can't Find Location" Problem

Mod edit, I'm adding an 's' to 'Redhift' in the thread title to improve search engine result for the issue.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB