You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-20 09:53:35

drtrppr

HP Stream 11

My Stream couldn't handle the windows10-upgrades anymore, lack of space, upgrading the internal hardware isn't possible. Tried several things to get it upgrading, eventually tried to stop the upgrade process, but wasn't able to get it done. Result was that it kept trying to download/install updates without success. The Stream became very slow at moments, and since I use a mobile data connection, I wasted a lot of data on upgrade-packages.

Since I'm happy with my Stream, I wanted to install a small distro. Over the years I used several on other machines (Puppy, AntiX, TinyCore, Absolute, Slax), but wanted a somewhat more minimalistic distro (in an other way TinyCore is). BL seemed a right pick.

First tried BL on a USB stick. It ran (except the WIFI), and it looks good with the blue  Stream-case. But with a couple of browser-tabs open, it freezes.  Keeping an eye on the RAM used, I was able to use BL, but it wasn't really fun. I put the image on the stick with Rufus, I didn't take care of a swap-partition or a persistent storage. Maybe doing so would have made it a better experience.

After getting the WIFI working out-of-the-box with an extra USB WIFI adapter, tried to install BL on the internal disc. The install process had a problem with the partitioning. With GParted I manually erased the partitions and made a new one.

Next problem was that the install stopped because the USB/image was not found, a problem mentioned in some forum-posts. After several reboots, I did a 'power off', and after restarting, the install could get completed.

Now I'm enjoying me Stream again. It's really smooth. RAM used stays at about 1.6G max of the 1.8G available, no freezing of the machine. Swap is used, but it feels a faster machine as with the Windows installed. It's beyond my expectations, so thanks for the distro.

I had to install a new key to update packages (it's a relief to be in charge of the update-process again!). Will have to install some extra packages I guess, get the internal WIFI and BT working, and just enjoy the Stream again.

#2 2021-02-20 10:19:42

Nick

Re: HP Stream 11

Glad you got it workin for ya, welcome to the forum!

I'm on 2gb of ram myself, runs great within reason.

If you run into anything, leave a note somewhere and we'll see if we can't figure it out :-)

#3 2021-02-20 15:58:14

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

With only two gigs of ram, you are gonna need swap space. Right now, with just Chrome open, I am using almost 860 Mb of ram and 350 Mb of swap space. This machine is a dual-core with two gigs of ram. Set a swap space and I bet the crashes stop.

#4 2021-02-21 02:44:23

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Most of these hp streams have 32GB storage that cannot be upgraded so best to make a swap partition of about 8GB leaving 24GB for the OS and home directory. If you are careful about what you install on that you should still have plenty of room. On my laptop the rootfs takes 9GB and I don't keep much on the SSD but on a 2nd hard drive in the machine. As these may have a microSD slot, you can use an SD card to hold more data.

I am thinking of getting a Stream 11 myself just to have a little Linux laptop when I travel.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-02-21 02:48:53)

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2021-02-21 11:08:19

drtrppr

tknomanzr wrote:

With only two gigs of ram, you are gonna need swap space. Right now, with just Chrome open, I am using almost 860 Mb of ram and 350 Mb of swap space. This machine is a dual-core with two gigs of ram. Set a swap space and I bet the crashes stop.

Ah, think I wasn't clear enough. After using live-BL without a swap and crashes, I managed to use the default installer to put BL on the internal drive. Since the swap-partition is set-up by default, at the moment there are no crashes and it runs smoothly.

In order to get the installer running without errors, I had to use GParted to erase the existing Windows/HP-setup partitions. Only then the installer was able to set-up the needed partitions apparently.

In order to have a portable BL available, I will try to make a new USB-stick with a swap-space in place.

#6 2021-02-21 11:29:17

drtrppr

DeepDayze wrote:

Most of these hp streams have 32GB storage that cannot be upgraded so best to make a swap partition of about 8GB leaving 24GB for the OS and home directory.

The installer did set-up a swap-space as big as the RAM, isn't that the rule-of-thumb? At the moment the swap gets used up to about 75%. Waiting to hit the 100%.

BL has 26.7 GB drive available, so I'm missing some GB. No problem, don't think I'm going to install a lot of stuff. And yes, in that case I will use a SD-card, at the windows set-up I used a SD-Card with PortableApps-environment.

DeepDayze wrote:

I am thinking of getting a Stream 11 myself just to have a little Linux laptop when I travel.

Just can recommend it for that type of use. It's good enough to browse the net, watch a YouTube etc.

Because of the upgrading problems (hard- en software), I think owners will not use it anymore, and you can pick up one for real cheap. You just have to ask if it's upgraded to the newest Win10-version ...

Board footer