You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-26 06:53:14

TemperedChrome

Help getting Ubuntu and Debian repositories

Hello all!
I recently spen a fair amount of time installing Bunsen and I wanted to know how to add both Ubuntu and Debian repos as well as kde plasma 5
Thank you in advance and,
Cheers!

#2 2015-11-26 07:19:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Help getting Ubuntu and Debian repositories

Hello and welcome to BunsenLabs smile

You cannot do what you are asking to do without fundamentally compromising the reliability and stability of your system.

BunsenLabs is incompatible with Ubuntu and the stable Debian repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list should not be combined with testing/unstable lines.

Please take a moment to read the "Don't Break BunsenLabs" link in my signature.

If you want Plasma 5, I can recommend Arch -- that desktop is pretty usable these days.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2015-11-26 08:55:52

Temetka

For KDE, can't he just run synaptic and search for kde-plasma? Find the base KDE package and mark it for installation. Then all the dependencies will also be installed.

I did this on a previoous install of Bunsen a while back. I couldn't tell you if it was KDE4 or KDE5 though.

In the long run I realized that as nice as KDE is, I've grown very fond of OpenBox. Sure the menu doesn't auto update when new apps are installed. But more than likely you aren't installing more than 1 or 2 apps at a time. It's pretty easy to add them to the menu.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#4 2015-11-26 10:14:30

Snap

If you want Plasma 5, I can recommend Arch -- that desktop is pretty usable these days.

Or Siduction if you want to stay on Debian. They have a KDE spin.
IIRC, KF5 is not in Debian stable. So Arch or Debian unstable and be ready to roll and the possible breakages.

#5 2015-11-26 13:21:52

damo
....moderator....

@OP
When you first booted, and the Welcome script ran, you must have entered "I understand", ie you read and understood the warning about adding other sources.

Using Ubuntu repos is asking for trouble if you aren't very careful.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2015-11-26 14:01:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

@TemperedChrome, we're recommending (with no guarantees) that users backport newer packages from Debian, Ubuntu and Launchpad using the method described here...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=58

This works great for many packages but will probably be a gigantic pain for anything as large as KDE 5. There is a Wiki page describing compiling parts of upstream Plasma, I have not tried this at all...
https://wiki.debian.org/KdeBuildingFromSource

If you get stumped trying to backport a package, you can open a support thread for it in the appropriate "Technical Issues" subforum. We have lots of users here who don't mind running new software under jessie. Remember, you get to keep the pieces if it breaks!

#7 2015-11-28 21:19:45

pressanykey

Fyi, (and not to side-track), the latest KDE Plasma 5 desktop requires a good graphics card. My oldish box requires that I completely turn off compositing before first logging into a KDE session (usually from an icewm/openbox session). I would definitely try out the latest KDE Plasma 5 from openSUSE/Manjaro to determine if your box has the resources to use it. And, this newest KDE Plasma 5 release completely took me out of using KDE. It was just enough change that I can no longer use it on my box, even turning off all compositing. Lots of crashes. Kinda surprising that a Linux DE requires such new hardware. But, that's why Bunsen Labs and this community is so important running on a stable Debian.

Compaq Presario AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e
32/64 bit (dualarch) / 2.8 GB mem / Belkin N300 Wifi USB
NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
Integrated Realtek ALC888 Audio

#8 2015-11-30 14:16:32

TemperedChrome

Hey guys, I gave it a try and I decided that I'll stick with my other OS (Arch via Architect) and just use the AUR as I don't need the extra features of a Debian based distro - Thanks for the help and I will consider bunsenlabs as my next distro in my cycle just for the quick and polite community!

#9 2015-11-30 14:25:29

damo
....moderator....

^ Aaaw shucks smile

You can always hang out with the guys in the Club Lounge - help yourself to coffee (but don't leave your cup dirty please).

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#10 2015-12-01 01:50:42

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

No need to run off. Lots of Arch folks stop by and say hi to us. Heck most of our devs use it.

#11 2015-12-01 02:28:30

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Before this topic succumbs to the deathly grip of the mods ( big_smile )   Let me ask though, WHY is it, that we can't import packages via other repo's?  I mean what's the difference, what makes a link to an Ubuntu repo, so different than getting it from debian's?

Is the package itself literally compiled different for different distro's? Or is it something about the way it's fetched?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#12 2015-12-01 02:45:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Is the package itself literally compiled different for different distro's?

That's it. Sometimes it works OK anyway, but sometimes the foreign package doesn't work. And sometimes it does damage your system.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#13 2015-12-01 06:27:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ & ^^ Most of the time it involves at least a couple factors:
- Ubuntu and Debian historically have used different config directory structures.  (There seems to be some convergence here in recent years.)
- Ubuntu usually has a newer point release of libc6 and their packages are built against that.  (This is usually the likely suspect if breakage occurs, especially if it affects other parts of your system; hence the part of the welcome script requiring "I understand".)

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#14 2015-12-01 07:39:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer