You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-27 17:01:28

blackup

[SOLVED] client-list-combined-menu

Greetings, BL community.

I am very satisfied with this distro and it still keeps me away from hopping. How much I like it so far can be described in wallpaper and custom vscode theme that I made, using BL color scheme. :-)

Back to subject: I had to reinstall it couple days ago due to ssd replacement.

Screenshot 1 is small collection of things I do after installation.
Screenshot 3 is bonus thing - disabling conky.
Screenshot 2 shows my issue.

https://imgur.com/a/gbKc4UU

These are the only things I edited.

I haven't experience such thing during my previous ride. Already spent almost 2 hours googling solution without success. It keeps me away from today's obligations so I am forced to ask if you guys have any idea what is causing this?

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-28 12:21:22)

"It's not about kill. It's about hunt."

#2 2021-01-27 17:08:27

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] client-list-combined-menu

^ could you describe the issue. I don’t understand what it is

#3 2021-01-27 17:21:38

blackup

Hi, Malm.

I'll try to be more precise. Screenshot 2 shows menu that I called with middle mouse button. It's way lighter than jgmenu and there are no borders between fields. It's a small visual issue but still a bit annoying. :-)

#4 2021-01-27 18:12:03

rbh

blackup wrote:

I'll try to be more precise. Screenshot 2 shows menu that I called with middle mouse button. It's way lighter than jgmenu and there are no borders between fields. It's a small visual issue but still a bit annoying. :-)

That is Windows client menu, usualley called by Super+Tab. if you do not like it, do not use it!

Can you start Jgmenu?
In terminal, run command jgmenu_run.
With mouse call it with right click.
Default keys are Super+Space.

Edit:
File ~/.xbindkeysrc, is the file where you set shottkeys.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-27 18:16:45)

// Regards rbh

#5 2021-01-27 19:19:38

blackup

Hi, rbh.

Thank you for taking time for this. I like this little menu and it's function. That's why I use it regularly. But! I installed BL and after first boot everything was alright. On 2nd boot it changed it's look and I am curious what caused it.

Here you can compare original and mine:
https://imgur.com/a/j1bX1lw

During first run I didn't do anything except applying screen tearing "fix". Any idea of eventual solution?

#6 2021-01-27 19:50:25

sleekmason
zoom

Huh,  Is it part of the gtk Openbox~! theme?  Did the color change after clicking on the item?  If you click on the others, do they change as well?

Edit* Just noticed the separators are gone??  hmm. 

If you change themes does this happen?

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-01-27 20:20:05)

#7 2021-01-27 20:08:38

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

I'd guess this must be part of openbox theme.

#8 2021-01-27 20:09:02

rbh

blackup wrote:

I like this little menu and it's function. That's why I use it regularly. But! I installed BL and after first boot everything was alright. On 2nd boot it changed it's look and I am curious what caused it.

Here you can compare original and mine:
https://imgur.com/a/j1bX1lw

But now you are showing another menu than last. Now you are showing the window menu, called by Alt+Space.

During first run I didn't do anything except applying screen tearing "fix". Any idea of eventual solution?

As sleekmason wrote, the look of those menus is configured by obconf and laxapperance.

Have you done a backup of your theme by the Blob Themes Manager(under BL Utilities)? then just read back the backup.
Else, try to change theme and then change back.

// Regards rbh

#9 2021-01-27 20:58:09

blackup

@rbh
On Screenshot 1 in my first post, I showed jgmenu menu just to compare it's background color with menu that I call with middle mouse button. jgmenu has darker background.

I noticed changing theme doesn't always work even if I do "Preferences - Reload GTK" and "Preferences - Openbox - Restart" via jgmenu. OB theme changes while gtk remains the same or vice versa. In such case, I need to reboot for desired theme to get fully applied. I got no any custom theme or one that I downloaded from the internet. All this is happening with themes that comes with BL.

This is my current setup:
https://imgur.com/a/zgfu9Eb
"Desktop" menu is still messed up, as you can see. Restoring theme with BLOB doesn't help.

I did reinstall the system two times earlier today and I experienced the same problems with both "desktop" menu and changing themes, all this on 2nd boot. During 1st boot, everything was normal which makes me think that I ruined something.

The only things I did to affect the system in any way is on this list.

### if keys error
wget https://ddl.bunsenlabs.org/ddl/BunsenLabs-RELEASE.asc
sudo cp BunsenLabs-RELEASE.asc /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
### screen tearing:
/etc/bunsen/compton-startup #lines 40, 61, 114
--backend glx --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay 

### touchpad on/off toggle
# /home/blackup/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml
<keybind key='W-S-l'>
    <action name='Execute'>
        <command>bash -c "synclient TouchpadOff=$(synclient -l | grep -c 'TouchpadOff.*=.*0')"</command>
    </action>
</keybind>

Also in /.config/bunsen I did comment line 96, excluding conky from autostart.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-27 21:01:28)

#10 2021-01-27 21:11:12

sleekmason
zoom

The compositor.  Compton . .?  but that fixes your screen tearing right? Can you disable the compositor completely to see if that is the issue?  If so, maybe an adjustment can be made.

#11 2021-01-27 21:26:48

blackup

Hi, sleek.

I disabled compositor. This is what I got.

https://imgur.com/a/8QZNFE2

Screenshot 2 is when I sync jgmenu with gtk theme.
Screenshot 3 is when I sync jgmenu with openbox theme.
Screenshot 1 is how desktop menu looks like in both cases.

Also, you can notice jgmenu isn't spawning properly. This time it happened when I disabled compton but it also happening randomly when I reboot the system. But that's another story and I can fix that.

Btw, yes, those couple of lines solve screen tearing.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-27 21:28:02)

#12 2021-01-27 21:36:12

rbh

The lines for "touchpad on/off toggle", seems suspicious.

What is it suposed to do? Allow you to toogle the touchpad on of? How if so? It does not seems to make any difference on my laptop.

I have som lines to toggle touchpad off while typing, but in autostart:

# ~/.config/bunsen/autostart
[...]
## Configure touchpad. See 'man synaptics' for more info.
## (Now might be using libinput instead of synaptics.)
synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 HorizEdgeScroll=1 TapButton1=1 2>/dev/null

## Disable touchpad while typing
syndaemon -i .5 -K -t -R -d &

You can try to copy default bl-rc.xml from skel, if changing theme back and forth does not help:

mv ~/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml.bak
cp /usr/share/bunsen/skel/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-27 21:37:22)

// Regards rbh

#13 2021-01-27 21:46:57

blackup

Our autostart looks the same.

# ./config/bunsen/autostart    
lines 58-63

## Configure touchpad. See 'man synaptics' for more info.
## (Now might be using libinput instead of synaptics.)
synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 HorizEdgeScroll=1 TapButton1=1 2>/dev/null

## Disable touchpad while typing
syndaemon -i .5 -K -t -R -d &

I found this touchpad on/off toggle thing on this forum during my early days with BL like 1 month or so ago. :-) I use super-shift-l to toggle and it does work after you restart Openbox (if I am not wrong), to apply it.

I am so tempted to reinstall the system one more time to see if and when my problem occurs. Because, once again, everything works nicely during 1st boot.

This is my /.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc:

tint2_look          = 0
csv_cmd             = apps
position_mode       = pointer
menu_width          = 134
menu_padding_top    = 24
menu_padding_right  = 0
menu_padding_bottom = 0
menu_padding_left   = 0
menu_radius         = 1
sub_spacing = 6
item_margin_x       = 1
item_margin_y       = 1
item_height         = 21
sep_height          = 4
sep_halign = right
font                = Sans 10
icon_size           = 0
arrow_string        = ›
arrow_width         = 8
color_menu_bg = #2B454F 100
color_menu_border   = #304D59 100
color_norm_bg       = #C8CFCB 00
color_norm_fg = #d3dae3 100
color_sel_bg = #bc4b4f 100
color_sel_fg = #ffffff 100
color_sel_border = #bc4b4f 100
color_title_fg = #cc666a 100
color_title_bg = #2B454F 100
color_title_border = #2B454F 100
color_sep_fg = #535353 100
sep_markup = 
hover_delay         = 30
csv_name_format     = %n
menu_border = 0

I wonder if I ruined something here. The only line I sometimes edit is line 3 (position_mode = pointer) and I do it by removing or adding couple of spaces on same line, just to be able to save the file, and it does "fix" the wrong jgmenu position when called.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-27 21:50:54)

#14 2021-01-27 22:39:33

blackup

Okay, so I reinstalled the system. Everything was okay. My only intervention before going thru bl-welcome script was this:

to avoid that key error during update (this was unnecessary back in December).
I waited till it's done, called desktop menu and got this:
https://imgur.com/a/TKicnUh

I am still not sure why but at least I know my usual first few steps as fixing screen tearing didn't cause this.

Thank you guys for your readiness to help. One of main reasons why I stick to BL is this lovely community. Such minor issues won't keep me away from being a happy BL rookie. :-)

#15 2021-01-27 22:53:44

rbh

blackup wrote:

I found this touchpad on/off toggle thing on this forum during my early days with BL like 1 month or so ago. :-) I use super-shift-l to toggle and it does work after you restart Openbox (if I am not wrong), to apply it.

It does not work on my laptop. But "synclient TouchPadOff=0" and "synclient TouchPadOff=1"works...

I am so tempted to reinstall the system one more time to see if and when my problem occurs. Because, once again, everything works nicely during 1st boot.

I hope you mean "worked nicely during 1st boot, after reinstalling"...

This is my /.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc:
[...]
I wonder if I ruined something here.
Before you wrote you had not tuched it...

The only line I sometimes edit is line 3 (position_mode = pointer) and I do it by removing or adding couple of spaces on same line, just to be able to save the file, and it does "fix" the wrong jgmenu position when called.

There is some possible values for "position_mode="; fixed, ipc, center and pointer
If you have setting "= pointer", it shall show the menu under the mousepointer. If you edit ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc, jgmenu will reload. It seams that jgmenurc does not care if you add spaces before or after "=". Some configfiles is sensative for that. It is betetter to stick to original layout. You can instead reload jgmenurc:

$ source ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc

You can contemplate why jgmenu does not load configfile correct...

// Regards rbh

#16 2021-01-27 22:56:52

rbh

If changing theme and cange theme back agin, or copying default bl-rc.xml, does not fix appearance, I'm out of ideas.

// Regards rbh

#17 2021-01-27 23:11:12

sleekmason
zoom

The only further idea I have, would be to copy the Openbox theme from /usr/share/themes to ~/.themes (Make the folder if it isn't there.) The gtk theme too if you want.

The system will read from this file first, and if things work correctly, it means . . . another step in the right direction.

#18 2021-01-27 23:15:29

blackup

Hey, rbh.

It does not work on my laptop. But "synclient TouchPadOff=0" and "synclient TouchPadOff=1"works...

I set the shortcut, save the file, restart Openbox via jgmenu and shortcut becomes active.

I hope you mean "worked nicely during 1st boot, after reinstalling"...

Yes that's exactly what I mean. Everything works fine but looks like things becomes messy after system update.

I did a bit of testing and realized themes doesn't change fully. I change both gtk and openbox theme and restart/reload them via jgmenu. Jgmenu keeps the format of previous theme while everything else is changed. You can see the pattern here on this link. I added screenshot descriptions.
https://imgur.com/a/cavEeOZ

I hope this helps a bit.

@sleek
I did what you suggested but nothing changed in my favor so I believe some of updated packages are causing this.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-27 23:27:16)

#19 2021-01-28 08:47:18

rbh

blackup wrote:

Everything works fine but looks like things becomes messy after system update.

So, then you have to investigate that further.

1. After installing, do not apply any updates. Just check system and reboot.
2. Apply systemwide updates (apt update, apt upgrade). Check and reboot. When bl-user-setup, pops up a messsage about copying new userconfigs, just kill it. Reboot check.
3. Now first, let bl-user-setup copy all new user configs. (Run command in terminal) check  appereance, reboot and check.

If still ok. edit configfile, apply your chenges.

Remember, no one else gets a messy system after upgrading new installation. So, most likely, it is something you have done to the system.

I did a bit of testing and realized themes doesn't change fully.

And that is why you have menu setting "Sync theme with...", on Preferences => Jgmenu =>.

// Regards rbh

#20 2021-01-28 09:19:02

blackup

Okay, I will try again and follow these steps. Btw, just to be sure you understand me, by "changing theme" I mean switching between them. I like default theme very much so I am not doing any modifications.

I reinstalled, restart to boot for first time, ignored bl-welcome and just restarted again. Then on 2nd boot I added that key, did sudo update/upgrade and this is where I am right now.
https://imgur.com/a/vezn1JQ

Which one to choose?

Edit:
I went "Y", update finished, restarted the system and this is what I got:
https://imgur.com/a/SwdA8E7
So yea it gets messy after update. I did nothing in between.

Followed steps you suggested. Killed bl-user-setup message, restarted, then I got this:
https://imgur.com/a/VAFKKSD

After browsing BL forum meanwhile and I found this link:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7271
Maybe some of these are one to blame?

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-28 10:21:34)

#21 2021-01-28 12:10:14

blackup

So, when you go thru bl-welcome on first boot (yes, I reinstalled it again :-) ), this is the list of packages that are about to be updated:

apt apt-transport-https apt-utils b43-fwcutter base-files bunsen-common bunsen-configs bunsen-docs bunsen-fortune bunsen-keyring bunsen-pipemenus bunsen-themes bunsen-utilities bunsen-welcome dbus dbus-x11 distro-info-data file-roller firefox-esr firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer ghostscript glib-networking glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad intel-microcode jgmenu libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libbrotli1 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libdbus-1-3 libdns-export1104 libefiboot1 libefivar1 libexif12 libfreetype6 libgnutls30 libgs9 libgs9-common libgssapi-krb5-2 libgssdp-1.0-3 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgupnp-1.0-4 libimobiledevice6 libinput-bin libinput-tools libinput10 libisc-export1100 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libjpeg62-turbo libjson-c3 libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common liblirc-client0 libllvm7 libopenexr23 libp11-kit0 libpam-systemd libperl5.28 libproxy1v5 libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5widgets5 libraptor2-0 libsqlite3-0 libssl1.1 libsystemd0 libudev1 libunwind8 libvlc-bin libvlc5 libvlccore9 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libx11-6 libx11-data libx11-xcb1 libxml2 libzmq5 linux-image-amd64 linux-libc-dev openssl p11-kit p11-kit-modules perl perl-base perl-modules-5.28 python-apt python-apt-common python3-apt python3-lxml python3.7 python3.7-minimal sudo systemd systemd-sysv transmission-common transmission-gtk tzdata udev vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-video-output xserver-common xserver-xorg-core

I went "n" and bl-welcome script stopped. Then I manually updated all these packages from this list but I excluded one named "bunsen-themes". It solved my "issue" hence desktop menu kept default look:
https://imgur.com/a/L7whdmV

One more hint: I'd say only default theme is problematic. Others are fine. Properly themed dekstop menu comes with chosen theme in every case except when you choose default one (BL-Lithium).

Now my ocd is finally at peace again so I can go back to basics. :-) Thank you guys again for taking your time for all this. See you around.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-28 12:13:16)

#22 2021-01-28 13:03:02

blackup

One more question. I am trying to put this package on hold (quite a new thing for me).
This is what I did:

blackup@okama2001:~$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
Hit:3 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian lithium InRelease                                   
Hit:5 https://download.sublimetext.com apt/stable/ InRelease
Reading package lists... Done                             
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
blackup@okama2001:~$ apt list --upgradable 
Listing... Done
bunsen-themes/lithium 10.0.7-1 all [upgradable from: 10.0.6-1]
N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
blackup@okama2001:~$ apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
bunsen-themes/lithium 10.0.7-1 all [upgradable from: 10.0.6-1]
bunsen-themes/now 10.0.6-1 all [installed,upgradable to: 10.0.7-1]

blackup@okama2001:~$ sudo apt-mark hold bunsen-themes
bunsen-themes was already set on hold.
blackup@okama2001:~$ sudo apt-mark showhold
bunsen-themes
blackup@okama2001:~$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
Hit:3 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian lithium InRelease
Hit:5 https://download.sublimetext.com apt/stable/ InRelease
Reading package lists... Done                             
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
blackup@okama2001:~$ 

What am I doing wrong? Is this package still going to be upgraded next time I am about to upgrade the system?

#23 2021-01-28 13:19:32

rbh

It does not make sense...

You are still on version 10.0.6-1 of bunsen-themes?
2021.01.15, upgraded I to version 10.0.7-1. That upgrade was a minor upgrade and for me it did not change apperance
Edit: change apperance of windows menus.

But, you are far from a solution. The only way you can know if it realy is a bug in bunsen-themes_10.0.7-1_all.deb, is to install it.
You can purge it and reinstall from apt-cache if you are right. BTW, you did not copy theme to ~/themes?

You know you have to denie that package to upgrade next upgrade you do?

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-28 13:29:05)

// Regards rbh

#24 2021-01-28 13:35:14

sleekmason
zoom

One small possibility.  Caught my eye when scrolling your code that Bunsenlabs is using dbus-x11 instead of dbus-user-session?  Dbus-user-session is now the standard for most, but not all. There are particular situations where dbus-x11 is still desired.

Guessing dbus-x11 was added for thunar. 

For a test, you should be able to install one in place of the other (install dbus-user-session, then remove dbus-x11).

Anyhow, Throwing this out for the devs to take a look. (This also removed a few xsession errors after I switched.)

#25 2021-01-28 13:40:02

blackup

So I did update that bunsen-themes package and desktop menu is ruined again.

https://imgur.com/a/cRgMczK

Your suggestions are getting more and more confusing to me as beginner so I will summarize the things I am doing:
a) downloaded ISO from official BL website
b) installed it from usb
c) on first boot I do this to avoid key error:

d.1) if I go thru bl-welcome and fully update, desktop menu gets ruined
d.2) if I stop the script and manually copy/paste list of packages (excluding bunsen-themes), everything goes ok: dekstop menu doesn't get ruined

That's the all I am doing (among screen tearing fix and adding touchpad toggle on/off shortcut).

Since I don't know how to install previous version of bunsen-themes package (apt-cache doesn't show any of these), I guess I will just reinstall the system, put bunsen-themes on hold, upgrade the system and just move on with things I am actually supposed to do with my computer/time. This is a minor thing to spend all this time on it. I like BL anyway and will keep using/learning it. Thank you guys once again.

@sleek
I did what you say and it didn't change anything that I can notice.

p.s. Looks like there's this issue only with default theme. Others seems to be fine.

Last edited by blackup (2021-01-28 14:13:34)

Board footer