You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-20 18:52:03

Jere Sumell
Website

Security issues after installation for regural user

Hey for everybody!

I spent computer-related weekend last weekend and increased my 2005 -year model laptop computer longer lifecycle by installing bunsen labs Lithium Linux distro 32 bit from ISO CD Image. My computer have 1Ghz 32 bit single-cored processor and 870 megabytes of Random Access Memory. Somebody at the Finnish Ubuntu community said me that my computer almost have some vintage value and suggested me to donate it to computer museum at least after ten years since last friday.

I didn't use network connection during installation process from CDROM 32bit ISO, but my wlan0 wireless network connection works fine after installation. I expanded my repository sources with debian.org Contrib,Non-Free,Security,Updates ja Backports -sources to sources.list file and installed ufw-firewall before activating it. Default system web browser was changed to Firefox ESR.

My next mission is to discover up more secure system for this machine. I'm looking for guides or tips about increasing online and offline security approached to regular or basic user. There's no much to do with 2005 year modelled computer but kind of Python programming and browsing www-resources littl bit when my feelings turn in retrospective. (Well, I graduated as ICT-professional B.B.A degree in information technology so somebody can call me an lifetime advanced comptuer-enthusiastic till the end).

I found this forum by search engine keywords "Bunsen Labs security tips for regular user" and I read some paranoid guide straight linked on next Paranoid security guide (Bunsenlabs forum topic)

I started my security-growness journey by installing ads blocking plugin to Firefox and disabled all the sent data to developers and tracking cookies were disabled too.

It would be nice to hear some other things to do to increase system security as newcomer but not new in white-har -defenser approached nerdy level. I'm newcomer to Bunsen Labs -OS, but not in Linux.

Behalf of humanity and animal rights. Free Internet for people all over the world. Let us be in safe, take care yourself and have a nice day.

#2 2021-01-20 19:02:55

trilobite

Re: Security issues after installation for regural user

If it is web related, you can use the Tor browser which makes you (mostly) anonymous online.

I always require passwords to login or wake up or after blank screen.

My hard drives are always encrypted so require a password before booting really starts to access that.

There's really not much to do otherwise. Unless I misunderstand.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#3 2021-01-20 19:17:18

Jere Sumell
Website

Thanks, trilobite to Canada!

Of course I'm familiar with Tor - browers and tor-network content in good and bad way but I'm not using tor-browsing in any activities which can be attached to me as natural person. (For ie. not logging in Facebook or having any activity in my online banking when paying monthly bills.) Almost everything I've done in Tor-browers i've took over the dark web .onion sites and marketplaces but never wrote nothing any of them. I'm not online criminal. I think Tor-network isn't 100% anonymous and if user continuosly do the bigger and bigger crimes online sooner or later user get's caught by authorities. How about tor network privacy after logging to Facebook or GMail and then jumping into dark side on the moon? Of course you can be hunted or tracked down by your activities. Or Am I wrong?

It's good point to use password screen on wake up or boot up -scenes especially I'm using this computer at the University lectures and taking a cigar during lesson break time.

It might be good idea to encrypt hard drive. I made multiple partitions for /var /tmp/ /home and /swap -folders so encrypting them all might be wise move.

Thanks a lot for answering!

Behalf of humanity and animal rights. Free Internet for people all over the world. Let us be in safe, take care yourself and have a nice day.

#4 2021-01-20 19:52:34

trilobite

Finland, home of the world winter cycling federation.  Oulu is legendary among us year round bicycle riders.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#5 2021-01-21 04:21:04

Jere Sumell
Website

Cycling is environment- and nature -friendly transport -solution, it's nice to find some cycling-hobbyist down at Linux -forum. Excursion to core-topics, some human-approached shade of discussion taking part in board discussion with whole man's personality. It's good start to make it in that way if you wanna meet and make new friends. I like make more friends than enemies online and offline too.

Never been in Oulu, Nivala is the Northest location where I've been on ordinary holiday here in Finland when I was kid. My grandfather had summerplace in Northern Finland about 100 kilometers from Vaasa, and he was used to invite his childs and grandchilds from Sweden, and from Western Finland once in a Summer to his place when he was alive. He died to oldness when I was seven years old. Good memories back old times.

I have not much connections for bicycling world or people insinde it, once made some Joomla consultation for Helsinki-based bicycle recycling and repairing shop for paycheck. But cycling myself only on Summertime locally and using public transportation to save the world even I really have car driving license but never owned a car.

#6 2021-01-21 07:19:41

ohnonot
...again
Website

Jere Sumell wrote:

Cycling is environment- and nature -friendly transport -solution, it's nice to find some cycling-hobbyist down at Linux -forum.

I cycle 100km per week but for me it's not a hobby - it's a mode of transportation.

Jere Sumell wrote:

Never been in Oulu, Nivala is the Northest location where I've been

Me immigrant has an advantage on you in this case! wink

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#7 2021-01-21 10:05:40

phuturism

When i last lived in Melbourne I commuted to work by bike, about 14 km one way.  So 28km a day * 5, got me pretty fit!   I prefer to do it commuting, not riding super long distances.   Now I'm back in Melbourne hope to start doing that again.

#8 2021-01-21 10:40:15

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Jere Sumell wrote:

I started my security-growness journey by installing ads blocking plugin to Firefox and disabled all the sent data to developers and tracking cookies were disabled too.

Plus I usually stick this blocking hosts to appropriate hosts file
https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2021-01-21 10:40:33)

#9 2021-01-21 12:19:26

Jere Sumell
Website

brontosaurusrex wrote:

Plus I usually stick this blocking hosts to appropriate hosts file
https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Thanks for link hint! This host-file was new to me. Have to give it a chance.

#10 2021-01-21 17:09:37

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

And full facebook ban (Haven't test that)
https://github.com/jmdugan/blocklists/b … cebook/all

#11 2021-01-22 06:59:36

Jere Sumell
Website

I'm not sure for that Facebook -ban -option. Facebook system is awful and needs quite a powerful computer (not only terms are awful you have to agree with on rehgistering screen but US Social Media Tech -companies are regulated to save all user's history by every click on their archive and database by law.)

What comes to Facebook, I have social life outside of Internet and WWW-resources, but trying to minimize Facebook using. I've been Facebook member since 2014 even first invitation mails came out the email inbox in 2005-2006 when it expanded to Finnish customers.

Board footer