You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-10 00:02:52

wwoofbum

Display in Portrait Mode

Total newcomer here. 

I have a 1920 x 1080 hdmi monitor which is positioned vertically.  Using Arandr I have set the display to (what should be) portrait mode, that is, rotated right by 90 degrees.  There are now two copies of the bunsen flame, one above the other, the system reporting thing (conky?) is, I presume, somewhere off screen to the right, and anything that happens to have appeared in the lower half of the screen (e.g. when I have right-clicked for the main menu) is not being cleared.

Can this be fixed, or must I re-orient my physical display to the standard "landscape" position?

#2 2021-01-10 00:09:53

damo
....moderator....

Re: Display in Portrait Mode

Have you restarted conky and re-set the wallpaper?

To make changes permanent you will need to save the  arandr output and start the script in your autostart.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2021-01-10 14:22:54

wwoofbum

Got it, thank you.

Next question:  Can I shrink the whole background/conky thing so that it is the same size as it was when the display was in landscape mode?  As it is now, only the right edge of the bunsen logo is visible, and the conky takes up about a quarter of the screen.

#4 2021-01-10 14:39:51

damo
....moderator....

You are trying to fit backgrounds and panels into desktop proportions they weren't designed for.

Look in the options for nitrogen (Menu > Preferences > Wallpaper), to set the size. You may need to create a specific wallpaper with the proportions you need - use gimp to crop a copy of the background you want.

You may also need to create/edit a conky with the dimensions required.

#5 2021-01-10 16:44:06

wwoofbum

Okay, I'll work on that.

But, just to be clear, it appears to me that the window manager is treating my monitor as if it were a giant 1920x1080 screen of which it has access to only a portion - hence the dimensions of the conky: the font is set at 10, but the actual characters, as displayed, are about 40 - rather than as a 1080x1920 screen that it has access to all of.  So I understand, from your response, that there is nothing I can do about that.  Correct?

#6 2021-01-10 17:11:44

damo
....moderator....

wwoofbum wrote:

...  So I understand, from your response, that there is nothing I can do about that.  Correct?

Incorrect! Perhaps some info about your hardware and xrandr settings might help. The following commands can give information:

inxi -G
xrandr

Use

[code]terminal output[/code]

tags to post output.

Board footer