You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-04 18:54:36

trilobite

upgrading helium to lithium question

I tried this, following the very clear tutorial directions from https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6913

It ended up not occurring, and I simply wiped out helium and installed lithium.  I have second machine to try.  I wondered if the fault was mine for adding the xfce desktop or something else (??).  No extra repos added.  Would I expect everything to upgrade? 

The upgrade basically stalled and hung with a black screen and wouldn't boot. Just wondering if my experience is rare. 

Nothing is ever mission critical in my world, computers are like toasters - if it doesn't work, unplug and try again, if still doesn't, get another toaster, preferably a functional cheap one.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#2 2021-01-04 20:19:28

rbh

Re: upgrading helium to lithium question

If you before reinstaling had booted live iso, could you have got infor from your logs. Maybe you could have chroot in to the faulty installation and fixed it. Now it is hard to know what happened.

Did the upgrade "stalled" during the upgrade or did the compouter stalled when rebooting after the upgrade finished?

Usualey the upgrade process works ok.

// Regards rbh

#3 2021-01-04 21:29:05

trilobite

Thank-you.
The computer didn't stall.  The upgrade did. As far as I understand it.  The upgrade showed some screen messages, and I went away and came back to watch. I was paying poor attention (like I did when in school).

Can you tell me about the logs and where/how to find them please.  I'm likely to do this with another similar computer, and would look for the logs.

(It wasn't terrible to reinstall.  It goes pretty fast.)

Last edited by trilobite (2021-01-04 21:29:32)

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#4 2021-01-05 07:30:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

trilobite wrote:

It ended up not occurring, and I simply wiped out helium and installed lithium.

It is impossible to say anything now, esp. if you didn't take any notes during the upgrade.
Sorry.

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#5 2021-01-23 00:25:23

rbh

trilobite wrote:

Can you tell me about the logs and where/how to find them please.  I'm likely to do this with another similar computer, and would look for the logs.

Sorry, forgot to answer this.

Al system logs are in /var/log*. "Apt-logs" logs in /var/log/apt. Debian installer leave logs in /var/log/installer.

// Regards rbh

Board footer