You are not logged in.

#26 2021-01-03 07:22:06

evnchn

Re: [SOLVED] Main menu submenu crashing issue

@malm

Sorry. I misunderstood. Apparently 4.3.0 jgmenu is up so we need to wait for all the repos to update. I'll report to you if BunsenLabs in particular is ready and the patch is working.

And to everyone else:

I am sorry for opening the can of worm of changing window manager or menus. Since jgmenu is the default I think it is better if we can can iron out the bugs here (it is the bug tracker after all) and make sure users can enjoy it or they may switch to other distros with an incomplete experience in BunsenLabs.

Please do open another topic regarding WM and menu comparisons since discussion and variety is always welcome. Personally I would like menus that use the least computational resources for my Eee PC. Give us the link to the topic you opened and we'll talk there. Thanks smile

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-03 07:38:59)

#27 2021-01-03 07:41:48

evnchn

Props to everyone who helped. Thanks malm for his awesome work.

#28 2021-01-03 08:55:48

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

^
Yep - should be in the repos shortly. Appreciate you helping us iron out this bug.
Just remember to uninstall what you installed in the $HOME directory.
Either just delete ~/bin/jgmenu and ~/bin/jgmenu_run manually; or run the following from the ~/jgmenu/ directory you created a couple of days ago:

make uninstall

#29 2021-01-03 10:09:24

evnchn

malm wrote:

Just remember to uninstall what you installed in the $HOME directory.

Reinstalled BL and ran bl-welcome to simulate a user who is going to update jgmenu via apt. Used another tool to make the USB bootable stick to make sure my installation is not corrupted. Thanks for your guidance anyways.

#30 2021-01-03 16:35:34

rbh

evnchn wrote:

Reinstalled BL

So now, if jgmenu works for you, we do not know if malm's patch, fixed so jgmenu would work in spite of your rare misconfigured locales, jgmenu should have managed...

and ran bl-welcome to simulate a user who is going to update jgmenu via apt.

??? apt update/upgrade, is to upgrade all available packages, including jgmenu. Updating config settings (not upgrading), is done with script "bl-user-setup", which runs whenever new version of bl-configs is installed.

Used another tool to make the USB bootable stick to make sure my installation is not corrupted.

I don't unserstand that.

// Regards rbh

#31 2021-01-03 18:10:15

evnchn

Firstly, I reinstalled BL to roll back all changes to jgmenu and act as an end user to install the patch of jgmenu as soon as it comes out and report to malm asap. As a result, my jgmenu is currently left in a broken state. I do not believe my locales are misconfigured. I configured it according to the text-based setup like any other Hongkonger would. I didn't do anything special or strange. I ran bl-welcome just because it is said to be recommended, although it is not made clear in the script that running it is what you should do, given the massive DontBreakDebian warning. Updating all packages is something a normal user should do, and I just follow the steps. Thank you for mentioning the usages of other bl- scripts. It sure is welcome. For the USB though, I just use some other tools to make the USB for this fresh install to make sure the USB imaging tool isn't causing trouble, since people have once reported that some USB imaging tools especially on windows are troublesome and that they cause loads of undocumented issues. I am sorry if my messages are unclear. Feel free to clarify.

#32 2021-01-03 19:24:36

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

rbh wrote:
evnchn wrote:

Reinstalled BL

So now, if jgmenu works for you, we do not know if malm's patch, fixed so jgmenu would work in spite of your rare misconfigured locales, jgmenu should have managed...

@rbh - @evnchn confirmed it worked before re-installing BL. Besides, I was able to reproduce both issues, so am confident they're fixed.
Also, @evnchn's locale is quite legit - no need to pick on it.

#33 2021-01-03 19:56:01

rbh

evnchn wrote:

Firstly, I reinstalled BL to roll back all changes to jgmenu

To roll back changes in your jgmenu user configs, you just rename ~/.config/jgmenu and run script "bl-user-setup". Defult settings from /usr/share/bunsen/skel/*, will be copied to ~/ if you allow them to.
Have you done systemwide changes, you just reinstall package.

and act as an end user to install the patch of jgmenu as soon as it comes out and report to malm asap.

Malm asked you to aply fix before he roll out the fix to the repository!

As a result, my jgmenu is currently left in a broken state.

you have made a new fresh installation and jgmenu is still broken? Can you apply malms fix from post https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 87#p109687:

I do not believe my locales are misconfigured. I configured it according to the text-based setup like any other Hongkonger would.

After a standard installation, you should not need to install locales, the should be in place!

I didn't do anything special or strange.

If you after debian-installer done its jobb, you do not have correct locales, you have done something strange. If you have done a cli-installation or by accident broken your locales, then the information on https://wiki.debian.org/Locale, is applicable.

I ran bl-welcome just because it is said to be recommended, although it is not made clear in the script that running it is what you should do,

It is auto-started and gives you:
"This is an optional post-installation script, designed to help you configure your new Linux installation [...]" It is for me quite clear the script should be run after installation.
You do not need to run the skript, but then you should manualley do what the script does, or run it on a later time.

For the USB though, I just use some other tools to make the USB for this fresh install to make sure the USB imaging tool isn't causing trouble, since people have once reported that some USB imaging tools especially on windows are troublesome and that they cause loads of undocumented issues.

Ok, so it was about the install media. You have read the installation instructions? why not use recomended method?

I am sorry if my messages are unclear.

I think you need to glance through the Debian Handbook and Debian Refrence on the Help menu.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-03 19:57:44)

// Regards rbh

#34 2021-01-04 02:46:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi @evnchn thanks for trying BunsenLabs, and also for your user feedback, which is always helpful regardless of whether there is a bug in our setup or a deficiency in our documentation! smile

evnchn wrote:

I ran bl-welcome just because it is said to be recommended, although it is not made clear in the script that running it is what you should do, given the massive DontBreakDebian warning.

That warning is not intended to mean "don't upgrade packages" and certainly not "don't run this script" but "don't add third-party repositories, or upgrade packages from a different repo than your own". Maybe we need to think about rewriting the message to make that clearer?

@all Please don't forget that the 32-bit CD iso is missing some packages that usually come with BL by default. This causes some inconvenience, but was necessary to squeeze the iso file down to 700MB to fit on a CD. (Every other trick we could find was also applied. roll)
Here's the current 32-bit package list - note compton (but not locales) is missing:

alsa-utils
anacron
apt-transport-https
arandr
at
at-spi2-core
bash-completion
btrfs-progs
chntpw
clipit
conky-all
cpufrequtils
cryptsetup
curl
crda
dbus-x11
dillo
dmz-cursor-theme
dosfstools
efibootmgr
eject
evince
f2fs-tools
fbxkb
file-roller
firmware-b43-installer
firmware-b43legacy-installer
firmware-linux
firmware-realtek
firmware-iwlwifi
fonts-inconsolata
fonts-liberation
fuse
galculator
galternatives
gddrescue
gdebi
gigolo
gmrun
gnome-keyring
gparted
gsimplecal
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
gvfs
gvfs-backends
gvfs-fuse
hardinfo
haveged
hdparm
hddtemp
hfsprogs
htop
hwdata
i965-va-driver
intel-microcode
inxi
jgmenu
less
libexo-1-0
libinput-tools
libpam-gnome-keyring
libnotify-bin
libqt5svg5
lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter
lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
light-locker
locales
lsb-release
lshw
lvm2
lxappearance
mlocate
modemmanager
mousepad
mpv
network-manager
network-manager-gnome
nitrogen
ntfs-3g
ntp
obconf
openbox
p7zip-full
pavucontrol
pciutils
pcmciautils
pnmixer
policykit-1
policykit-1-gnome
pulseaudio
python
python-keybinder
python-notify
python-xdg
qt5-style-plugins
rfkill
ristretto
rsync
rxvt-unicode
scrot
smartmontools
suckless-tools
sudo
synaptic
thunar
thunar-archive-plugin
thunar-gtkhash
thunar-volman
tint2
unar
unrar
unzip
update-inetd
usb-modeswitch
usbutils
user-setup
uuid-runtime
va-driver-all
vdpau-va-driver
wireless-tools
xbindkeys
xcape
xdg-user-dirs
xdg-utils
xfce4-notifyd
xfce4-power-manager
xfsprogs
xinput
xorg
xserver-xorg-input-all
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-all
xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-qxl
xsel
xz-utils
yad
zip

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#35 2021-01-04 03:58:24

evnchn

@johnraff: A proposed new version of bl-welcome warning

NOTEWORTHY WARNING
----------

Although this script does not harm your system, it is worth mentioning that, although FOSS is primarily about freedom and choice, certain choices are known to carry an increased risk of breaking things.

To reduce the chance of bricked installs, please type "I understand" to continue with this script and finish your BunsenLabs install.

I think that is nicer smile

Also, maybe add a page {

SCRIPT PROCEDURE

The script will
1. update packages
2. ...
3. ...

} and show this script to the user before asking their password? Because if you ask something like a password from the user before telling them what to do, probably they won't give the password and leave the bl-welcome prematurely. Also, to me, "optional" means "opt-in and choose to install it" to me. Perhaps remove the "optional" keyword and just leave "You can skip this script and run it later by 'bl-welcome'" as an opt-out mode to bias more users to run it.

@rbh Thanks for telling me how to rollback changes without reinstall. Malm and I have tested out a fix for jgmenu on the latest version on github already and it works (the post #20 you linked to is exactly what I have done (@malm have already released 4.3.0 in fact)), and I am just waiting for the patch to come to the repo for a final double-check just to be safe. I made a fresh install and of course, jgmenu is broken. I am leaving it in a broken state intentionally now, to test the official release. I did not do anything special with the locales, no install anything. I just selected the languages as a Hongkonger would. Btw, is the text-based debian-installer leaving people with broken locales? That is a serious bug and I'll get to investigating asap. But I don't think so as my locales aren't broken but somehow the XSetLocaleModifiers() and XSupportsLocale() functions related to locales (and that jgmenu use) are broken.

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-04 04:01:49)

#36 2021-01-04 04:09:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@evnchn thanks for the suggestions!

#37 2021-01-04 11:30:08

rbh

evnchn wrote:

I have tested out a fix for jgmenu on the latest version on github already and it works (the post #20 you linked to is exactly what I have done (@malm have already released 4.3.0 in fact)),

"Released", for me, is when a package is pushed to the repository. Still in repo is version 4.2.1+bl10-1 (5/22/2020) https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repoidx.html … ium-jgmenu

I made a fresh install and of course, jgmenu is broken. I am leaving it in a broken state intentionally now, to test the official release.

I'm very confused. Jgmenu was broken, was patched with malms fix and leaved broken awating final release...
Most often there is no problem with jgemnu, so it is not expeted that jgmenu will breake after installation... You are the first one here to report that problem and malm had heard about three more cases. Compared with al thousands of 32 bits install of Lithium, that problem is rare.

I did not do anything special with the locales, no install anything. I just selected the languages as a Hongkonger would.

You wrote, that you after installation had followed instructions on https://wiki.debian.org/Locale...

But, nevermind, I can live with not understanding.

I have done 4 32 bit installations with Lithium iso, without noticing any problems regarding jgmenu or locales.
But, John informed that the 32 bit iso does not contain the locales packages. That is why some installations get the problem below:

my locales aren't broken but somehow the XSetLocaleModifiers() and XSupportsLocale() functions related to locales (and that jgmenu use) are broken.

And a new jgmenu package will soon be released.

// Regards rbh

#38 2021-01-04 13:08:10

damo
....moderator....

rbh wrote:

But, John informed that the 32 bit iso does not contain the locales packages. ....

Not quite hmm  He said compton is not included, but locales is (and it appears on the package list)

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#39 2021-01-04 13:29:45

evnchn

rbh wrote:

"Released", for me, is when a package is pushed to the repository. Still in repo is version 4.2.1+bl10-1 (5/22/2020) https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repoidx.html … ium-jgmenu

There is a release (noun) on GitHub but it isn't released (verb) on BunsenLabs repo. Do tell me how I can phrase it better. Technical terms can be inconsistent between us, and it is always good to clear things up.

Yes. I am awaiting final release, so as to safeguard the final release with one more precautionary step. I have NOT followed the Debian guide for locales as it is NOT a typical end-user would do. I repeat that I act as an end user for this patching process as best as I can. For whether this problem is rare, perhaps install your own BunsenLabs with Hong Kong locales. Interesting to see if this problem occurs.

#40 2021-01-04 15:10:09

rbh

damo wrote:
rbh wrote:

But, John informed that the 32 bit iso does not contain the locales packages. ....

Not quite hmm  He said compton is not included, but locales is (and it appears on the package list)

Sorry, sloppy reading.

// Regards rbh

#41 2021-01-04 15:47:22

rbh

evnchn wrote:
rbh wrote:

There is a release (noun) on GitHub but it isn't released (verb) on BunsenLabs repo. Do tell me how I can phrase it better. Technical terms can be inconsistent between us, and it is always good to clear things up.

Github is a tool to work with the source for an application. When you are ready to make an installable deb, you can say that you release the source. But on https://github.com/BunsenLabs/jgmenu/bl … um/NEWS.md, there is no release info for version 4.3, so not either the source is released, even if it is available.

Yes. I am awaiting final release, so as to safeguard the final release with one more precautionary step.

But if you have aplied the fix, jgmenu should not be broken for you now...

I have NOT followed the Debian guide for locales as it is NOT a typical end-user would do. I repeat that I act as an end user for this patching process as best as I can. For whether this problem is rare, perhaps install your own BunsenLabs with Hong Kong locales. Interesting to see if this problem occurs.

I started one vm I installed in august, but not yet logged in to and done postinstallation tweaks on. When I ran "dpkg-reconfigure locales", I could choose between all hundreds of locales. If you have not installed and run "localepurge", then there is something wrong with your installation.
(edit: As you wrote you could only choose en_HK.UTF-8)
Can you not see that? I do not think that there will be any differense if I choose locales for Hongkong, but I will test. Just now my desktop is down, due to change to change to an "raise and lower data table"

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-04 15:58:24)

// Regards rbh

#42 2021-01-05 08:51:40

evnchn

After some experimentation, I discovered that LANG=en_HK is fine for jgmenu, LANG=en_HK.iso88591 is fine as well, but en_HK.utf8 is not compatible with jgmenu. Given that Hong Kong uses both English and Chinese, UTF8 usage makes total sense. XSupportsLocale() may return false for en_HK.utf8, meaning X11 does not support this locale. In old versions of jgmenu, it just treats this as a warning, and proceeds to not work properly. In jgmenu 4.3.0 however, it seems like it falls back to LANG=C for unsupported locales.

@rbh, I'm sorry but Hongkongers must use UTF8 and when programs fail to accommodate, it shouldn't be our problem. You could say that we have the trickiest locale to support though and that we are the "destroyer of Linux harmony", haha, such a title for us. But I must thank you for reminding me that installing en_HK non-UTF8 locale and setting that as a system default irons out the problems if no patching is available.

@malm what are your thoughts on this? Am I correct as to why this fix works?

@{any software developers somehow reading this} I hope that your program can support locales properly. It is, as Tom Scott mentions in Computerphile's video regarding internationalization, extremely troublesome. Don't be exhausted, though. Many users around the world will silently thank your effort.

#43 2021-01-05 09:43:09

rbh

But "LANG=en", is not a valid locale @evnchn!

With the command "dpkg-reconfigure locales", it is not possible to add "LANG=en", to /etc/locale.gen. You wrote before, that you could only choose en_HK.utf8, have you not used "dpkg-reconfigure locales", but instead directly edited /etc/locale.gen?

Valid locales is listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. It contains 495 locales. If your /etc/locale.gen only contains your chosen locales, will the command "dpkg-reconfigure locales", add all the disabled locales after your chosen.

It does not make sense what you are writing and often you do not answer questions.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-05 09:44:14)

// Regards rbh

#44 2021-01-05 09:53:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Some programs disagree on how to write UTF8. sad
For example, on my system:

john@lithium:~$ echo $LANG
en_GB.UTF-8

LightDM's greeter, on the other hand, writes in ~/.dmrc:

Language=en_GB.utf8

This difference between UTF-8 and utf8 is enough to break correct locale displays, and is a long-standing issue with LightDM: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=679386
( BunsenLabs ship a small Xsession script to work around it: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … tdm-locale )

Does LANG=en_HK.UTF-8 possibly work for you?

#45 2021-01-05 10:51:39

evnchn

rbh wrote:

But "LANG=en", is not a valid locale @evnchn!

I ran "locale -a" and the choices are C, C.UTF-8, en_HK, en_HK.iso88591, en_HK.utf8 and POSIX. I didn't say LANG=en is valid locale. In fact LANG=en jgmenu_run causes falling back to C. Please read carefully

With the command "dpkg-reconfigure locales", it is not possible to add "LANG=en", to /etc/locale.gen. You wrote before, that you could only choose en_HK.utf8, have you not used "dpkg-reconfigure locales", but instead directly edited /etc/locale.gen?

I edited nothing back when I can only choose en_HK.utf8 and it is the default after I finished BL USB install. I never edited /etc/locale.gen manually.

Valid locales is listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. It contains 495 locales. If your /etc/locale.gen only contains your chosen locales, will the command "dpkg-reconfigure locales", add all the disabled locales after your chosen.

It does not make sense what you are writing and often you do not answer questions.

I have difficulty understanding this last paragraph.

#46 2021-01-05 10:54:08

evnchn

johnraff wrote:

Does LANG=en_HK.UTF-8 possibly work for you?

LANG=en_HK.utf8 jgmenu_run
LANG=en_HK.utf-8 jgmenu_run
LANG=en_HK.UTF8 jgmenu_run
LANG=en_HK.UTF-8 jgmenu_run

These all fail (as in they cause the same errors as running jgmenu alone. Check previous posts for detail)

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-05 10:58:53)

#47 2021-01-05 12:45:47

rbh

I have now installed new VM with "en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8", set in /etc/locales.gen.

@malm and @evnchn, I can confirm that when jgmenu i run from terminal, it gives the error

warning: XSupportsLocale(): error setting locale
warning: XSetLocaleModifiers(): error setting locale

and it kraches with segmentfault when pointing to most submenus.

Adding en_GB.UTF-8 and logging in with those locales, makes jgmenu stable and produces no errrors when started from terminal.
Relogin with en_HK.UTF-8, makes jgmenu crach.

Cloning jgmenu and installing the updated jgmenu to $HOME/bin, logged in choosing en_HK.UTF-8, the menu is stable.
Command "echo $LANG" returns "C".

Logged in with locale en_GB.UTF-8, command "echo $LANG", returns en_GB.UTF-8

Logged in with en_HK.UTF-8, killing jgmenu and starting it with

LANG=en_GB.utf-8  /usr/bin/jgmenu_run

gives also a working jgmenu.

// Regards rbh

#48 2021-01-05 13:40:26

evnchn

Nice. We all know what is happening now. Thanks. I'll wait for 4.3.0 to come on repo regardless. Thanks

#49 2021-01-05 15:54:43

rbh

evnchn wrote:

I ran "locale -a" and the choices are C, C.UTF-8, en_HK, en_HK.iso88591, en_HK.utf8 and POSIX.

You do not choose locales with the command "locale -a". You list what's default/you have chosen to install. To choose another locale, you run "dpkg-reconfigure locales".

I didn't say LANG=en is valid locale.

I misread the first sentence in post #42.

evnchn wrote:
rbh wrote:

You wrote before, that you could only choose en_HK.utf8, have you not used "dpkg-reconfigure locales", but instead directly edited /etc/locale.gen?

I edited nothing back when I can only choose en_HK.utf8 and it is the default after I finished BL USB install. I never edited /etc/locale.gen manually.

Again: After standard installation, you have to run "dpkg-reconfigure locales", to add other locales. I have asked you if you did not do that. You answered not. But if you have not edited /etc/locale.gen (and run "locale-gen"), or run "dpkg-reconfigure locales", then you have not tried to change locales! You wrote you could not change.
You can also add more locales when installing, if you choose "Advanced installation"

evnchn wrote:
rbh wrote:

I have difficulty understanding this last paragraph.

Ok, i understand now, that you have ignored some of what I've written and have misunderstood some basicks.

File /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, contains all supported locales. They are also found in /etc/locale.gen, but there is all disbled locales preceeded with *. All enabled locales and default even C, C.UTF-8 and POSIX, is listed with command "locale -a".

If you have been forced to create and edit /etc/locale.gen from scratch, it contains only the locales you have chosen. If you add one locale listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED and run locale-gen, the /etc/locale.gen, will only contasin you8r chosen locales.
If you run "dpkg-reconfigure locales", all the rest of locales from file /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, will be addes as disabled in /etc/locale.gen.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-05 15:55:42)

// Regards rbh

#50 2021-01-09 16:22:42

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@evnchn, the new jgmenu package is now out for Lithium (armhf, amd64, i386)

Board footer