You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-06 00:05:04

juancuyo

notification on terminal

Hello, Good evening, every time I update, at the end of it, this notification appears in the terminal. How is this package removed? I ask the question because the OS works so well that I am afraid to break it by doing the wrong thing.
wv1cpGI.png

#2 2020-12-06 09:04:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: notification on terminal

Please keep in mind that "update" and "upgrade" are different things in APT-speak.

You mean the "cryptsetup-initramfs" message? You should get that every time there's a kernel update, not every time you upgrade. And it tells you right there what to do about it.
Do you have full disk encryption? Apparently not.
OTOH, don't fix what isn't broken, eh?

I am more confused about "0 (-33) upgradeable".
Minus 33?

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#3 2020-12-07 00:35:59

hhh
Meep!
Website

As @ohnot implied, remove cryptsetup, as the message suggests. Your not using drive encryption anyway, I assume...

sudo apt purge --autoremove cryptsetup-initramfs

Reboot. This (no warning message) will persist after a kernel upgrade, done and done. I've had to do this with every Buster install I've done, it's no big deal. It does greatly speed up apt which hangs on the warning for a bit otherwise in some cases (kernel upgrades, for example, and any other time initramfs gets refreshed).

By the way, it's just a warning (again, @ohnot implied that). You can ignore it if you prefer.

-edit- @ohnot, just noticed a typo in your sig, "brwoser".

#4 2020-12-09 06:22:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

hhh wrote:

-edit- @ohnot, just noticed a typo in your sig, "brwoser".

Thanks.

BTW, does anybody know what the last line in OP's screenshot means?
"0 (-33) upgradeable"?
First of all, the fact that update-initramfs does its thing suggests that the command issued was "apt upgrade" and not "apt update", but I have only ever seen this sort of output for "apt update".
Then, after an upgrade there's still "-33" packages to be upgraded? WTF?
(Possibly my cluelessness regarding BL shines through here, but I do have a Debian stable machine and have never witnessed anything like it.)

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Board footer