You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-20 00:12:22

AltTabDelete

VLC can not play video on some old hardware

VLC freezes desktop; only recourse is Ctrl-Alt-SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B to reboot. However, mpv Media Player seems to work well playing the same video files. Maybe a dependency issue?

Last edited by AltTabDelete (2020-10-21 15:49:23)

Just another 32-bit refugee from Ubuntu.

#2 2020-10-20 06:02:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: VLC can not play video on some old hardware

AltTabDelete wrote:

VLC freezes desktop; only recourse is Ctrl-Alt-SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B to reboot. However, mpv Media Player seems to work well playing the same video files. Maybe a dependency issue?

That sounds like much more than a dependency issue.
Freezes doing what? Local video? All of it? DVDs? All of them? Can you narrow it down somehow? Immediately, after n minutes, only when ...?
And the freeze? You can see your desktop, but do nothing? Or something else?
Before walking the elephant, can you try to switch to another tty with e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2? does that work? Can you 'killall vlc' from there?

And mpv is fine in each and every exact same situation?

Is there anything in VLC's logs (yes, during playback, you can open the message window, notch it up a bit, and see the last messages before the freeze)?
Mpv's?

And lastly, the journal should have information even after the reboot.
You possibly need to set up persistant journal first (search the forums for that).

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#3 2020-10-20 08:09:41

AltTabDelete

@ohnonot

Thank you for replying. VLC locks up playing DVD's as well as local .mpg video files. VLC will play the audio correctly, but typically displays extremely distorted video unless it displays a blank screen. VLC never displays the video properly. I usually discover that the desktop is frozen when attempting to close VLC after a failed attempt to play video.

When the desktop freezes, Ctrl-Alt-F2 through F6 do not make a TTY available. Ctrl-Alt-F7 merely returns me to the frozen desktop. The pointer and trackpad appear to work, but I am unable to obtain a response when I click on any button or icon.

MPV plays both DVD's and local video files properly with no ill effect for the desktop.

After setting up persistent journaling, I only see normal boot-up kernel messages even after intentionally failing VLC by trying to play a video (DVD or local file). I have not yet figured out how to copy those messages to post here. VLC is not displaying a log that I have found yet.

I have not yet discovered how to post a screenshot of VLC playing video here as an attachment.

Hardware here is a Dell D800 Pentium-M with an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 video card, if that helps.

#4 2020-10-20 08:48:27

damo
....moderator....

I know this may not be considered a helpful reply....but why persist with VLC trouble-shooting, when mpv is apparently working fine?

It is likely to be a graphics card problem I think. You have an ancient Nvidia card, so I suspect that VLC isn't dealing with it properly.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2020-10-20 11:25:00

AltTabDelete

What you say is a perfectly valid workaround, and one I have been using. I just wanted to let the community know that there is an issue with VLC affecting the desktop in case I am not the only one. VLC has the same issue on my hardware with MX-19 OS installed: I installed version 19.1 with which VLC performed perfectly; when security upgrades included the newest version of VLC (11.1 if I recall) the same failure to play video occurred as afflicts Lithium (which uses the same version of VLC). However, VLC did not lock up MX-19.2.

The common threads are: my antique hardware, VLC, the video driver N34, and 32-bit Debian-based OS. Lubuntu 18.04 hasn't had this problem (yet), but that is EOL for 32-bit.

#6 2020-10-20 11:39:50

damo
....moderator....

VLC has the same issue on my hardware with MX-19 OS installed:

So this isn't a BL bug, and shouldn't be in "Bug Reports". "GUI & Applications" would be a more appropriate place for this thread.

#7 2020-10-20 14:43:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Done.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-10-20 21:09:53

AltTabDelete

Thank you for sorting the correct area of the forum for this. I just thought, you know, 'freezes desktop' might be a concern...Presumably, VLC will get it sorted (or not).

#9 2020-10-20 21:42:15

AltTabDelete

If it is of any interest, here is my hardware description from the bug I filed against VLC with Bugzilla (#363):

Snapshot created on: 20200415_1546
System:    Host: <filter> Kernel: 4.19.0-6-686-pae i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
           parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-6-686-pae 
           root=UUID=<filter> ro quiet forcepae splash 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.5 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
           Distro: MX-19.2_386 patito feo February 15  2020 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Machine:   Type: Portable System: Dell product: Latitude D800 v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: 
           type: 8 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 01W890 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A13 date: 06/30/2005 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 68.6 Wh condition: 68.6/77.8 Wh (88%) volts: 11.8/10.8 
           model: SMP DELL Y1635 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium M bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Banias 
           family: 6 model-id: 9 stepping: 5 microcode: 7 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 1199 
           Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 600/1400 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 600 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Vulnerable 
           Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion 
           Type: mds status: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT disabled 
           Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
           Type: spec_store_bypass status: Vulnerable 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 64M] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0324 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           alternate: nv resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV34 v: 1.5 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC97 Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_intel8x0 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.5 chip ID: 8086:24c5 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-6-686-pae 
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet 
           vendor: Dell Latitude D400 driver: tg3 v: 3.137 port: b080 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           chip ID: 14e4:165d 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR5212/5213/2414 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath5k 
           v: kernel port: ecf8 bus ID: 02:03.0 chip ID: 168c:0013 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 3.75 TiB used: 34.30 GiB (0.9%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1200VE-22KWT0 size: 111.79 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> 
           rev: 3K01 scheme: MBR 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD My Book 1235 
           size: 3.64 TiB block size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B serial: <filter> rev: 1005 
           scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 21.26 GiB size: 20.80 GiB (97.84%) used: 6.00 GiB (28.9%) fs: ext4 
           dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: /home raw size: 88.43 GiB size: 86.54 GiB (97.86%) used: 28.30 GiB (32.7%) 
           fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.10 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap swappiness: 15 (default 60) 
           cache pressure: 100 (default) dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/mx/repo/ buster main non-free
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 23m Memory: 1.91 GiB used: 660.4 MiB (33.8%) Init: SysVinit 
           v: 2.93 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 alt: 8 Shell: quick-system-in 
           running in: quick-system-in inxi: 3.0.36 

Please note that MX-19 was installed at the time, but the hardware description is valid.

#10 2020-10-20 23:43:18

rbh

@AltTabDelete, maybe you could edit the subjet to something like: "VLC can not play video on some old hardware"?

// Regards rbh

#11 2020-10-21 07:43:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

AltTabDelete wrote:

Thank you for sorting the correct area of the forum for this. I just thought, you know, 'freezes desktop' might be a concern...Presumably, VLC will get it sorted (or not).

Sorry but this is the wrong attitude here.

Having had an old Nvidia card myself (but not that old) I can say that they often don't play well with the nouveau driver. Nouveau works well enough for most if not all cards from the past 10 years.
It's not VLC's concern, and since mpv works I'm sure you could fix VLC playback by choosing a different video rendering backend (i.e. NOT hardware-accelarated).

Of course I'm guessing, since we're lacking any sort of hard info.
But it's a good guess.

I also realise now that you knew from the start that
  a) your GPU is ancient
  b) that might have sth to do with the issue
but only mentioned it after you had a good argument going.
Why, oh why do people do this?
cry

my repos / my repos

#12 2020-10-21 08:53:07

rbh

ohnonot wrote:

I also realise now that you knew from the start that
  a) your GPU is ancient
  b) that might have sth to do with the issue
but only mentioned it after you had a good argument going.
Why, oh why do people do this?
cry

Yes, it is hard to understand why some choose to waste others time. I am more curios than sad.

// Regards rbh

#13 2020-10-21 12:55:31

AltTabDelete

@AltTabDelete, maybe you could edit the subjet to something like: "VLC can not play video on some old hardware"?

@rbh - I will happily edit the subject line if you can tell me how; I never meant to be misleading. Or I would be perfectly content for a moderator to do so, if they are able.

@ohnonot - I do realize my antique hardware has an occasional issue, but honestly no more often than my 64-bit i7 notebook. The older notebook actually has a superior keyboard and originally cost twice what I paid for the newer one. Sadly, the days of splurging on a new notebook every couple of years are gone for me; I'm stuck with what I have. I honestly don't know where the argument idea springs from; everyone here has been nothing but courteous.

I thought the idea of a 32-bit distro was to help keep the older equipment going; it certainly doesn't have much to recommend it otherwise. I believed I was performing a service by letting the community know of an issue (a bug) that affected my hardware; I never sought to conceal what that hardware is. I have also reported this issue to VLC and to MX-19. Whether or not anything comes of it is out of my hands; I am not and have never been a coder.

#14 2020-10-21 13:57:05

damo
....moderator....

AltTabDelete wrote:

I will happily edit the subject line if you can tell me how.

Edit your first post, and change the text in the Title field.

You have just met 2 (no, make that 3) of the more irascible forum members! Jaws are being clenched so as not to say the dreaded R*FM word  angel

#15 2020-10-21 15:20:18

rbh

AltTabDelete wrote:

@rbh - I will happily edit the subject line if you can tell me how;

Go to the threadstart. Press the link "Edit". Edit the subject.

I never meant to be misleading.

In the threadstart you did not mention that you knew it was a problem for VLC and your old hardware. It looked like you wanted an solution, but you knew the only solution was to not use VLC on that hardware.

I thought the idea of a 32-bit distro was to help keep the older equipment going; it certainly doesn't have much to recommend it otherwise.

None 32-bit distros becomes obsolete due to your hardwareproblem.

I believed I was performing a service by letting the community know of an issue (a bug) that affected my hardware;

You had done your homework, you knew about your hardware problem but you did not share that. By choosing the subject "Lithium 32-bit cannot play video using VLC", you wrote something that is not true. There is no generell problem with vlc anbd debian 10 32 bit.

I never sought to conceal what that hardware is.

I hope you can understand that unintentional actions, can be nearly as bad as intentional actions?

// Regards rbh

#16 2020-10-21 16:03:40

AltTabDelete

Hmmm...I see that you seem to believe that I was aware that my old video card was problematical. Yet there was no problem vis-a-vis VLC and NV34 and my video card until the newest version of VLC; hadn't been any problem for years. That was why I was searching for an answer, which this forum has kindly provided me: the current version of VLC does not work well with my video card/driver combination. That may or may not change in the future.

If VLC didn't freeze the desktop, I would have used a different media application and thought no more of it. However, I beiieved (perhaps mistakenly), that an issue that resulted in a frozen desktop might be of more general interest - I did not realize that this would only apply to my hardware. Thank you for that clarification.

BTW, thread title is changed as suggested.

#17 2020-10-22 18:55:48

ohnonot
...again
Website

AltTabDelete wrote:

@ohnonot - I do realize my antique hardware has an occasional issue, but honestly no more often than my 64-bit i7 notebook. The older notebook actually has a superior keyboard and originally cost twice what I paid for the newer one. Sadly, the days of splurging on a new notebook every couple of years are gone for me; I'm stuck with what I have.

You interpret my comments as if I was criticizing you for using old hardware. You totally didn't get the point.

I never sought to conceal what that hardware is.

No, but let's face it: you knew from the beginning that that is an important detail.

Alas, I'm beginning to repeat myself.

my repos / my repos

Board footer