You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 21:26:31

DPool

[SOLVED]Touchpad not enabled on install attempts

New user here. Or at least I'm *attempting* to be a new user.

Any idea why I can run BunsenLabs Lithium live from a USB with full use of the touchpad but when I run the installer, the pad appears to be disabled? I can't get past the first screen (language) because even though the up and down arrows will move the selector bar, the cursor just sits stranded mid-screen.

#2 2020-10-09 22:19:48

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED]Touchpad not enabled on install attempts

Probably because synclient settings are in the Openbox autostart, and the kernel isn't managing your hardware straight away.

You should be able to navigate the screens with the keyboard (arrows, tab, enter). Or try the text installer option instead.

Last edited by damo (2020-10-09 22:31:15)

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-10-09 22:42:20

DPool

damo wrote:

Probably because synclient settings are in the Openbox autostart, and the kernel isn't managing your hardware straight away.

Oh, uh, sure...right. That's what I was going to say. ?

damo wrote:

You should be able to navigate the screens with the keyboard (arrows, tab, enter). Or try the text installer option instead.

I'll give the keys a try first. Then check the text installer as my last resort.

Thanks for the info!

#4 2020-10-10 00:49:38

DPool

damo wrote:

Okay, I tried both. Using the keyboard, I got all the way through install (I thought) until the screen froze on black (right about the time another distro would've been re-booting and telling you to remove the USB). But I did not know why...

I even tried shutting down and restarting...and noticed the grub menu did not contain a new entry for Bunsenlabs.

I tried again with the text installer.  That way, when I got to the end, I saw the notification that grub-pc did not install (which I kind of already knew). There was also a stumble on the mirror -- retry did not work, change mirror did not work, so I opted to ignore it.

At this point, let me assure you that the device (and the installation) *is* connected to the internet via wifi -- and that was confirmed each time.

Now I'm stumbling on "Network autoconfiguration failed."  Retry network autoconfiguration does not work. Reconfiguring the network just gets me back to where I already was. Until it didn't -- now on about the 3rd pass through the configuration, it suddenly produces Failure of key exchange and association (which was working fine previously). I don't know anything about DHCP protocol.

Seems the more I work at this, the more new stuff comes up.

#5 2020-10-10 07:20:05

damo
....moderator....

Perhaps you should say what your hardware is: eg model, graphics card etc

#6 2020-10-10 16:50:14

rbh

DPool wrote:

Now I'm stumbling on "Network autoconfiguration failed."  Retry network autoconfiguration does not work.

If Debian installer hangs when confiuring the network, try disable ipv6.
Attach network cable if possible.

Add kernel options parameter:

ipv6.disable=1

// Regards rbh

#7 2020-10-10 20:09:36

DPool

damo wrote:

Acer Aspire One 722
AMD C-60 CPU with Radeon HD Graphics
1 physical processor; two cores; 2 threads

1761812 KiB RAM

AMD PALM (DRM 2.50.0/4.19.0-6-amd64, LLVM 7.0.1)

wlan adapter BCM4313

Anything else?

#8 2020-10-10 20:12:11

DPool

rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:

Now I'm stumbling on "Network autoconfiguration failed."  Retry network autoconfiguration does not work.

If Debian installer hangs when confiuring the network, try disable ipv6.

ipv6.disable=1

I'll try a re-install with the ethernet cable attached and see what happens.

The other two suggestion are a bit above me (although I think I remember seeing ipv6 during the text-interface installation).

#9 2020-10-10 20:54:27

rbh

DPool wrote:
rbh wrote:

ipv6.disable=1

I'll try a re-install with the ethernet cable attached and see what happens.

The other two suggestion are a bit above me (although I think I remember seeing ipv6 during the text-interface installation).

To boot the text installer with ipv6 disabled:
* Boot your install media
* When the grum menu shows, mark "Text based install" entry.
* Press TAB, to edit the boot entry.
* After quiet (or delete it). add boot option "ipv6.disable=1" (without quotes)
* Boot the media (think it is Ctrl + X), should also be given onscreen

Last edited by rbh (2020-10-10 20:55:01)

// Regards rbh

#10 2020-10-10 20:57:56

rbh

DPool wrote:
damo wrote:

Acer Aspire One 722

Debian wiki, says wifi is unsupported.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia … ireOne_722

// Regards rbh

#11 2020-10-11 12:56:17

DPool

rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:
damo wrote:

Acer Aspire One 722

Debian wiki, says wifi is unsupported.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia … ireOne_722

Not sure how that could be true since the other distro on this same device is Debian-based MX Linux, which has worked without a problem for most of a year.

#12 2020-10-11 13:04:23

DPool

DPool wrote:
rbh wrote:

I'll try a re-install with the ethernet cable attached and see what happens

I've got a follow-up question for you about this: if the ethernet connection is used only for helping with the installation and it's the wifi network that I intend to use from then on....what's the correct answer to the question during installation about which one is primary?

#13 2020-10-11 17:01:03

rbh

DPool wrote:

Not sure how that could be true since the other distro on this same device is Debian-based MX Linux, which has worked without a problem for most of a year.

Sorry, my old tired eyes saw wrong. Correct info is "Only works with a non-free driver and or firmware".

// Regards rbh

#14 2020-10-11 17:18:42

rbh

DPool wrote:

if the ethernet connection is used only for helping with the installation and it's the wifi network that I intend to use from then on....what's the correct answer to the question during installation about which one is primary?

Debian installer says, the primary nic only is used during the installatiuon.
you can use an usb-nic for cable connection during installation, shutdown, remove the usb-nic, boot and use whatever network adapter you want, for connection.

// Regards rbh

#15 2020-10-11 19:29:56

DPool

rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:

Sorry, my old tired eyes saw wrong. Correct info is "Only works with a non-free driver and or firmware".

I can only assume that the driver came with MX Linux. But glad to know that what I'm experiencing is not impossible! :-)

#16 2020-10-11 19:33:22

DPool

rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:

if the ethernet connection is used only for helping with the installation and it's the wifi network that I intend to use from then on....what's the correct answer to the question during installation about which one is primary?

you can use an usb-nic for cable connection during installation, shutdown, remove the usb-nic, boot and use whatever network adapter you want, for connection.

I think in the spirit of "never change more than one thing at a time," I'll pursue the ethernet installation first before disabling ipv6. I'd have been all over these tips a day ago but I've been a bit unwell.

Last edited by DPool (2020-10-11 19:33:59)

#17 2020-10-13 04:10:14

DPool

rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:

Huzzah! Successful installation! As I indicated earlier, I decided to go with the simplest solution first: so I performed another installation from USB (using the GUI) this time with the ethernet connection. As before, the cursor was still frozen but, with your advice to move around the screen via Tab and arrow keys, I pressed on. And, quite unlike the first time, I got all the way through grub install, and the completion of the entire process.

After reboot, I was able to manually add my wifi to the Network Processes (so it still didn't automatically "see" the wifi here) and got that connection going! So.....looks like it's all good!  Thanks again for all your help!

#18 2020-10-13 04:43:25

damo
....moderator....

Good stuff. I have added "[SOLVED]" to the post title to help others looking for answers - you can do it yourself by editing your first post if there is a next time...

#19 2020-10-13 05:49:10

phuturism

DPool wrote:
rbh wrote:
DPool wrote:

Huzzah! Successful installation! As I indicated earlier, I decided to go with the simplest solution first: so I performed another installation from USB (using the GUI) this time with the ethernet connection. As before, the cursor was still frozen but, with your advice to move around the screen via Tab and arrow keys, I pressed on. And, quite unlike the first time, I got all the way through grub install, and the completion of the entire process.

After reboot, I was able to manually add my wifi to the Network Processes (so it still didn't automatically "see" the wifi here) and got that connection going! So.....looks like it's all good!  Thanks again for all your help!

Well done!   I had a similar issue on install - the installer couldn't configure wifi as the router didn't handle ipv6.   Not having ethernet, I had to follow the other process of adding the parameter to the installer before start.   

Enjoy your new Lithium!

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#20 2020-10-13 12:58:09

DPool

damo wrote:

Good stuff. I have added "[SOLVED]" to the post title to help others looking for answers - you can do it yourself by editing your first post if there is a next time...

Thanks! I actually knew to do that, could've done it last night and fully intended on doing it this morning...but you beat me to it! All good!

#21 2020-10-13 13:07:06

DPool

phuturism wrote:

Well done!   I had a similar issue on install - the installer couldn't configure wifi as the router didn't handle ipv6.   Not having ethernet, I had to follow the other process of adding the parameter to the installer before start.   

Enjoy your new Lithium!

Thanks! I hope everyone understands why I didn't just dive in and make all possible changes at once.

I'm still a little puzzled by why twice the GUI installation had that frozen cursor (which was "freed" immediately upon post-install re-boot). Also not clear on why, after that same re-boot, BL did not recognize the nearby wifi (as advertised)...as before, it didn't see ANY router signals (and there are a few around here). But, perhaps that's due to the issues with Debian driver/firmware issues that @rbh raised...and maybe it helped that the other distro on this device is MX Linux? Or maybe it doesn't matter. But, in any case, the BCM4313 is a notorious wlan adapter.

#22 2020-10-14 03:45:11

phuturism

DPool wrote:

Thanks! I hope everyone understands why I didn't just dive in and make all possible changes at once.

I'm still a little puzzled by why twice the GUI installation had that frozen cursor (which was "freed" immediately upon post-install re-boot). Also not clear on why, after that same re-boot, BL did not recognize the nearby wifi (as advertised)...as before, it didn't see ANY router signals (and there are a few around here). But, perhaps that's due to the issues with Debian driver/firmware issues that @rbh raised...and maybe it helped that the other distro on this device is MX Linux? Or maybe it doesn't matter. But, in any case, the BCM4313 is a notorious wlan adapter.

I think i've seen that cursor freeze on the gui install myself, I'm used to the text install so when I've encountered it I just tab through.   So your wlan chip is still not working?

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

Board footer