You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-29 17:51:03

percivjr

.otf confused with .odt ???

I'm running Hydrogen on a few laptops and they all have the same problem.

In file manager (pcmanfm and nautilus) when I view an .otf file everything is fine and the file manager correctly shows it as 'OpenType font'. However when I view an .otf across a Samba share, the file manager shows it as 'ODF template' and all the file associations are wrong.

If I mount the share locally and view via the mount point, the file type is correctly shown.

I've checked all the likely places, e.g. /usr/share/applications but can't see the problem.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Last edited by percivjr (2020-09-29 17:51:56)

#2 2020-09-29 18:26:33

twoion
ほやほや

Re: .otf confused with .odt ???

This inconsistency could be due to the following (assuming the file system aspects are "correct"):

"local" (non-GVFS remote file system) -> file previewer library does a libmagic check on the file by reading actual data and maybe combines this with a file extension heuristic, but the more accurate heuristic wins. A remote SMB share mounted with CIFS counts as "local" to the previewer.

"remote" (GVFS remote file system) -> file previewer library avoids reading parts of the remote file with libmagic and relies on a misconfigured/broken file extension heuristic or something worse. The problem could be in a configuration/database or some piece of code somewhere. I tried finding it quickly but GNOME is so complicated (nautilus farms out previewing to a DBUS service called NautilusPreviewer which is probably provided by a library named sushi, or so) it would take a couple of hours of investigation to rule this kind of issue out...

Perhaps you could try changing the SMB version that's being used and check if it causes a change in behaviour? IIRC old Linux stuff always defaulted to SMBv1 which is completely insecure and whatnot; the current standard is SMBv2 or SMBv3. An interesting factor would perhaps be if other remote FSes exhibit the same behaviour (like mounting the file share using SFTP or WebDAV).

Per aspera ad astra.

#3 2020-09-30 00:12:49

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Do newer versions of GVFS (as used in Helium and Lithium) exhibit the same behavior? If you can try using Helium or Lithium install try accessing the same share and see if the filetype is shown correctly. This might either be a bug or something that's set in a config.

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2020-09-30 13:32:11

percivjr

Thanks for the replies.

Having read what twoion had written, it occurred to me that I should have mentioned that the offending share is on a Windoze PC (but at least it's XP!).

So I copied an .otf file to a Linux share and initially it was just the same. But then I set the server protocol version:

client min protocol = SMB2
client max protocol = SMB3

and it's now working perfectly.

Life's too short to try to figure out how to change protocol version on XP so I'll simply move the drives in question to a Linux box.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

EDIT: Looks like SMB2 isn't supported in XP anyway.

Last edited by percivjr (2020-09-30 14:29:02)

Board footer